Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #1

Bridgestone tire compares to Michelin XRV

Is there a Bridgestone tire that compares to the Michelin XRV tire?

Our MH tire size is 255/80R 22.5
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 06:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
https://commercial.bridgestone.com/en-us/products#?tbr

But... Why not Toyo? I love our M154's.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #3

I replaced my prematurely cracked 255/80R/22.5 Michelin XRVs with Bridgestone R268 Ecopia tires, size 265/75R/22.5. These tires have almost exactly the same circumference as the Michelins, so there is no speedometer error.
After about 15,000 miles experience, I am happy with the Bridgestones. No more Michelins for me - ever!
Old 07-02-2016, 11:16 PM   #4

I like my ecopias
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I had a Class C that came with Firestones that ultimately failed. I wanted a good tire so I put a set of Michelins on it but after the 4th year they started to weather check so ban I had to change.

My current coach came with Goodyears, the front had an odd wear pattern so I had to get an alignement and then put a set of Bridgestone R250's, currently 7 years old, 50K miles and still look like new. I then put a 4 Bridgestones on the rear, currently 5 years old, look like new with ~25K miles on them. I am going to rotate my front to the rear and bring newer to the front.

I'll stick with Bridgestones, although they don't make the R250's anymore they are still better then Michelin.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:47 PM   #6

From what I've been reading, tires more than 6 years from date of manufacture should be replaced. As I understand it, you could have dry rot on the inside. And I've seen lots of post that say RV tires really only have a 3 year life.

YMMV
SailorSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
From what I've been reading, tires more than 6 years from date of manufacture should be replaced. As I understand it, you could have dry rot on the inside. And I've seen lots of post that say RV tires really only have a 3 year life.

YMMV
Can you point me to the posts that only gives tires a 3 year life? I don't recall anything that ever recommended changing tire after only 3 years.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #8

I went with the tire manufacturer recommendations and replaced mine at 10 years of age.

Quote:
Michelin recommends that any tires in service 10 years or longer from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple precaution, even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal-wear limit.
I used Bridgestone 275x 70x22.5 R250 ED tires in January of this year and I love the smooth ride and improved traction I am seeing. These tires have about 10,000 miles on them now and have been in rain, snow, ice and sunshine.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post

YMMV
You coach your choice.

I've got +30 years experience with heavy equipment, the most important thing with the tires is correct tire pressure. I've had a TPMS on these tires since they were new and know they have had the correct pressure. I also know they have not sustained any significant impact or sidewall damage. The last Goodyears I took off I ran 10 years, I inspected each tire as they came off both inside and out. There were not signs of damage on the inside, they looked like new.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:07 PM   #10

I also have just replaced the weather cracked Michelins with Bridgestone Ecopias after 8 years and only 12,000 miles.
So far the ride, handling and sound levels are every bit as good as the Michelins. Too early to comment on wear.
Happy to hear other favorable comments.
Eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
You coach your choice.
The last Goodyears I took off I ran 10 years, I inspected each tire as they came off both inside and out. There were not signs of damage on the inside, they looked like new.
I prefer to err on the side of safety.

TireRack.com comments:
"
Sitting around for extended periods of time, then being asked to go into full service can result in flatspotting (both temporary and permanent), as well as cracking. This is more likely to happen when the tires remain mounted on a vehicle and sitting idle with the vehicle weight on them, as opposed to stored off the vehicle.
Many trailer tires take the worst of it. A typical boat trailer or camper is used a couple times a year. The rest of the time they sit around with the weight of the camper or boat on them. Even worse, is sitting through a tough winter in the backyard or outdoor storage facility. Then you hook it up to the back of the family vehicle and hit the road at highway speeds."

From a post by "The Tire Safety Group" Tires Expire in Six Years - Tire Safety Group

YMMV
SailorSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #12

While I agree that sitting long periods without moving may be hard on tires, I wonder why only Michelins seem to have a cracking problem. What don't they understand ... they are designing an RV tire aren't they?
Old 07-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
While I agree that sitting long periods without moving may be hard on tires, I wonder why only Michelins seem to have a cracking problem. What don't they understand ... they are designing an RV tire aren't they?

I believe Michelins are pricy but the best for safety. I grade tire take offs for a living. Processed more than 1.5 million last year.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
I believe Michelins are pricy but the best for safety. I grade tire take offs for a living. Processed more than 1.5 million last year.
Jesse
Well I guess if you don't consider cracking a safety problem, then maybe Michelins are for you.