Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Doesn't Michelin own Bridgestone?
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Doesn't Michelin own Bridgestone?
Michelin owns BF Goodrich; Bridgestone owns Firestone car tires. Firestone tractor and industrial tires is a stand-a-lone company.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Bridgestone tire compares to Michelin XRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
Well I guess if you don't consider cracking a safety problem, then maybe Michelins are for you.

Sorry man
I meant to quote on the topic not your post. I respect your belief.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
I believe Michelins are pricy but the best for safety. I grade tire take offs for a living. Processed more than 1.5 million last year.
Jesse
Jesse, how long have these tires been in service? For RVers I feel Michelin is not the right choice. Three coaches (all used) in 10 years and all had Michelin sidewall problems. This is the only brand that I know of with this type of failure.

What happens to the take offs you process? What is the ratio of Michelin to competitor?

Rick Y
Old 07-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Jesse, how long have these tires been in service? For RVers I feel Michelin is not the right choice. Three coaches (all used) in 10 years and all had Michelin sidewall problems. This is the only brand that I know of with this type of failure.

What happens to the take offs you process? What is the ratio of Michelin to competitor?

Rick Y

Rick I respect your belief.
You can call Michelin at 1 (888) 622-2306 to get the answer to your two questions.
My opinion is that most Michelin sidewall damage is due to under inflation and overheating.
85% I have used as TDF (Tire derived fuel) and 15% have been resold for reuse. From seeing the end result of all brands for 36 years I see less sidewall damage in the Michelin tires. My opinion is that when it comes to safety my family is riding on Michelins. Not trying to change anyone's opinion here, just stating mine. My mission is to be helpful to my IRV2 friends
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #20

I have 6-year old Michelins on our coach and they are like-new. No sidewall cracking, wearing nicely and offer a good ride.

I'll buy them again when it's time.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Rick I respect your belief.
You can call Michelin at 1 (888) 622-2306 to get the answer to your two questions.
My opinion is that most Michelin sidewall damage is due to under inflation and overheating.
85% I have used as TDF (Tire derived fuel) and 15% have been resold for reuse. From seeing the end result of all brands for 36 years I see less sidewall damage in the Michelin tires. My opinion is that when it comes to safety my family is riding on Michelins. Not trying to change anyone's opinion here, just stating mine. My mission is to be helpful to my IRV2 friends
Jesse
Your response seemed to be a bit defensive, Jesse. Please forgive my wording. I did not mean to put you on the defensive. Let me expand my thought here.

About the Michelin to other tire brands, is Michelin processed by you more frequently than other brands? I may be asking for too much data to remain in the context of this topic. I am truly looking for the short answer. My thought... If you are processing more of any one brand over another, one of two possible (first thought) situations exists. 1/ the most common tire you see has a short road life. 2/ the most common tire you process has the greatest number in service.

This may be a can of worms I am prying at. The last thing I want to do is provoke any sort of a heated topic in this thread. It does not belong here. Thanks for understanding.

I just had a thought about the over heating you mentioned. Considering that the OEM tires were running at full load out the factory door, I would guess this would mean that they also were subjected to max stress when rolling down the highway, heat being the most critical. I could see this with my TPMS with this coach. My new tires are running about 10* cooler than the Michelins I took off.

For those who don't know about heat in tires, a friend of mine worked in the tire industry as an rubber compound engineer and he recently explained to me that tires continue to cure, or get harder, as they age. The biggest factor for this phenomena is the heat generated by road friction and flex. More heat probably means faster curing and shorter road life usage.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 07-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Good to hear positive comments about Bridgestone's !

Just put two R283A Ecopia's steer tires after my 6 year old original goodyears started fighting the drive down the road

The 30 or so miles since putting them on have impressed for quiet ride and handling... and they are 295's versus the goodyear 275's...
Old 07-30-2016, 08:23 AM   #23

My 2003 Monaco still has the original tires. 13/14 yrs old 53,000 miles. NO cracking anywhere that I could find. My son in law inspected them closely, his response was Dad run them. Always stored yearly for about 4 months wheels on rubber pads but no covers. When I have to replace I'm sure they wont be Michelins as that is watout of my budget range. Jim
fayjim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #24

I'm with any earlier poster with regard to maintaining correct RV tire pressure. It actually took a blow-out on my Holiday Rambler to move me to getting a TST 507 TPMS system. And I have added TravelPal software to my laptop to be able to check tire pressures needed and to setup my TPMS monitor for proper high and low pressure alarm points based on expected weather conditions while traveling.

I'm now running one (1) Bridgestone R250F 245/75R22.5 (LR inside) and five (5) Michelin 235/80R22.5 XRV tires because I could not find a single Michelin in the entire country! Based on what I have learned and been hearing; I think my next tire change-out will be for either Toyo or Bridgestone.
geofferyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:38 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofferyh View Post
I'm with any earlier poster with regard to maintaining correct RV tire pressure. It actually took a blow-out on my Holiday Rambler to move me to getting a TST 507 TPMS system. And I have added TravelPal software to my laptop to be able to check tire pressures needed and to setup my TPMS monitor for proper high and low pressure alarm points based on expected weather conditions while traveling.

I'm now running one (1) Bridgestone R250F 245/75R22.5 (LR inside) and five (5) Michelin 235/80R22.5 XRV tires because I could not find a single Michelin in the entire country! Based on what I have learned and been hearing; I think my next tire change-out will be for either Toyo or Bridgestone.
The 235/245 combination is not a good idea. One tire is smaller than the other and is carrying more load. This is compounded by the age/wear of the old tire. I suggest moving the 245 to the front and get a matching one for the other front.

Your TravelPal software is interesting. I think I will look that up.

I keep having TST 507 sensor failures. I now have one that will not test with my tire gauge. I find it common not to be able the put air in the tire through the sensors. Is this a frequent issue with you or other?

Rick Y
Old 08-02-2016, 07:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I keep having TST 507 sensor failures. I now have one that will not test with my tire gauge. I find it common not to be able the put air in the tire through the sensors. Is this a frequent issue with you or other?
I do not have the flow-thru sensors, so I don't have the problem. Are you sure that your sensors are "seated" properly over the tire valve cores? You might want to consider changing the valve cores, and get the "red" band ones. They have a higher operating temperature range of -65°F to 250°F and are designed for use in truck applications.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #27

This topic is always very emotional for people. Like others I use michlins and no others on my cars and RV. At work we put 10 million miles a year on truck tires and 50 years of history told us they were the best for the money. We were putting 125k on every tractor yearly. Tires did not age out or dry rot from sitting in sun. RV's even if full timing will age out before they wear out. My only suggestion is check them prior to every trip and keep them aired. I carry a compresser and check prior to every trip. Low air pressure is your enemy.

Take care and safe travels
Trapper2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #28

One more thing.

When changing out your RV or other tires, check the DOT code on each new tire to affirm that they are not old inventory (older than 30 to 60 days) and are all of the same manufacturing date month.