Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayjim2 View Post
My 2003 Monaco still has the original tires. 13/14 yrs old 53,000 miles. NO cracking anywhere that I could find. My son in law inspected them closely, his response was Dad run them. Always stored yearly for about 4 months wheels on rubber pads but no covers. When I have to replace I'm sure they wont be Michelins as that is watout of my budget range. Jim
Yikes!!!

I had a rear tire firestone blow out with 15k miles and they were about 4 years old. I had a TPMS and it was working. Didn't hit anything, tire just blew--no warning at all. Caused over $8k in damage. I'd re-consider running 14 year old tires.

windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 03:56 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofferyh View Post
I do not have the flow-thru sensors, so I don't have the problem. Are you sure that your sensors are "seated" properly over the tire valve cores? You might want to consider changing the valve cores, and get the "red" band ones. They have a higher operating temperature range of -65F to 250F and are designed for use in truck applications.
I am not certain what I have for valve cores. I had the tires put on at Les Schawb in Grants Pass, OR. As far as seating of the sensors is concerned, I always inspect them when I check the tires. They are seated correctly. I think the little rubber washer in the sensor can be easily pushed further into the sensor. This might block it from working. The shop installed them after the tire change and this is when I had another one fail. It should be impossible to over tighten them if they are designed correctly.

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:17 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
This topic is always very emotional for people. Like others I use michlins and no others on my cars and RV. At work we put 10 million miles a year on truck tires and 50 years of history told us they were the best for the money. We were putting 125k on every tractor yearly. Tires did not age out or dry rot from sitting in sun. RV's even if full timing will age out before they wear out. My only suggestion is check them prior to every trip and keep them aired. I carry a compresser and check prior to every trip. Low air pressure is your enemy.

Take care and safe travels
"Emotional topic"? True, unfortunately.

What you have stated is true and is a good example of the way Michelin is designed to work successfully. Run lots of miles in a short period of time and the tire is exceptional. But, considering that most RVers might get 2K to 5K a year, Michelin isn't built for this idle time over the long run.

Another drawback for many RVers is the tire size provided by Michelin. Take my original 275/80R22.5 size. If I had a tire failure and needed a replacement I might be out of luck. Michelin makes this size only once a year, I believe, and when they are gone you have to wait for a new production run. Other tire manufactures don't make that size for the most part. This was true for the brands I was interested in. And, most of us are not wealthy. Getting a good compromise in price without sacrificing safety is another factor to consider. So, my argument stands about moving away from Michelin to some other proven brand.

I noticed one poster had a Firestone failure. I know many folks out there like that brand. Personally, over the years I have see too much controversy over that brand. Failures due to poor manufacturing quality has been a common plague for this company. I would not chose this brand for my grand son's bicycle. (I hope I didn't just open the door to a new "emotional" topic.)

Happy and safe trails,
Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote