Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Bringing new baby home!

Ok guys have a lot of questions and you have been so much help so far.I'm closing on the 2003 Phaeton next Tues and driving it home.We are not leaving for FL till later Jan 17.We are in Franklin IN.
1--Do I need to put a full 50 amp circuit hook-up in my garage or will 30 amp do?
2--How cold can it get before I would need to re-winterize assuming the inspection at the dealer they run water through the vehicle.I think I want them to!I know it is already winterized now.
3--Can I park on an inclined drive? Do I need to disconnect refrig or what?
4--Should I drive my toad out to the dealer and have them help me with initial hookup or is that pretty easy??

I know I will have more questions later after we get our beast home.I appreciate the help.
See you down the road.

Ps. All my friends think I'm crazy did you all experience any of that??
Dan

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #2

Congratulations on your new rig, I'm too new to RVing to be of any help. But for me I did the following, I pulled a 50A circuit to plug into at home. I would absolutely run the plumbing systems before you drive away and look everywhere for leaks, we had two that were not discovered until later. Perhaps a good part of your deal would be to have the dealer "re-winterize" your unit after the walk-through...as part of the deal. Better to be safe than sorry, freezing is freezing and it doesn't take long to get cold in a coach...that's my 2 cents...

Old 12-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrism View Post
Ok guys have a lot of questions and you have been so much help so far.I'm closing on the 2003 Phaeton next Tues and driving it home.We are not leaving for FL till later Jan 17.We are in Franklin IN.
1--Do I need to put a full 50 amp circuit hook-up in my garage or will 30 amp do?
2--How cold can it get before I would need to re-winterize assuming the inspection at the dealer they run water through the vehicle.I think I want them to!I know it is already winterized now.
3--Can I park on an inclined drive? Do I need to disconnect refrig or what?
4--Should I drive my toad out to the dealer and have them help me with initial hookup or is that pretty easy??

I know I will have more questions later after we get our beast home.I appreciate the help.
See you down the road.

Ps. All my friends think I'm crazy did you all experience any of that??
Dan
Congrats on the new rig.

30 amp hook up at home will be fine. You just won't be able to run everything all at once.

Rather than re-winterize, you might want to just leave the coach plugged in with the heaters running for the short time you'll be in the cold weather.

Today's refers are pretty tolerant of a slight slope but if you get much over 3% you might want to just turn it off. No need to disconnect it.

Having the dealer set up you toad is a good idea if you're not really familiar with what needs to be done.

Yes, my friends thought I was crazy for buying my new DP.... then again, they thought I was crazy before that too.

Best of luck with it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #4

I agree with RickO, about making sure all the plumbing works while still at the dealer. Also, you are going to want to use the water and toilet on the way home so will not want to winterize before you get home. You can always re-winterize or just heat it when you get home. Does not take much heat to keep it from freezing. Just be careful. I also agree that 30 amp is sufficient. Much cheaper to run and the only thing that I know will be restricted is only running one air conditioner at a time. Have not found 30 amp to be restrictive on anything else.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Good luck on your new purchase;

I would run a dedicated 50 amp. Circuit so you will not be limited , and run 2 A/C units ,hot water heater and microwave at the same time.

I'm sure that the dealership would winterize the coach if you asked.

You should turn off refer. If you can't get it good and level ,still it is not good to store your coach while it is real un-level it puts undo stress on chassis causing twisting.

It will be good for the dealership to assist you hooking up toad and explain how to handle it too so you will be more comfortable towing.

Happy Trails, James
Old 12-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #6

Be sure that the 30 amp circuit is NOT a 220 volt dryer outlet.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Be sure that the 30 amp circuit is NOT a 220 volt dryer outlet.
x2
But if you are having the power outlet installed, why not go ahead and install a 50amp?
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
imho I would go ahead an run 50amp service.I did that about 2 months ago and I am glad I did.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I agree install a 50 amp service you will be happier in long run.We put 30 amp service at house years ago. Im gonna change it to 50 amp when i have a chance. It was fine for the 5th wheels we used to have but with the DP i want a 50 amp,30 amp does it but you can run everything with a 50 amp. The cost is not that much difference to install,again you will be happier in long run.
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #10

Do 50!!!

It is only one more wire so small extra but the outlet is same as used on home circuits, so CHEAP, RV outlet MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE.

Breaker is also about 2 bucks more.

So the cost difference is about 10 bucks maybe 30 if the wire is expensive, may be able to get a cable for close price...
Old 12-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #11

The 30 will work if the 50 get's to be too much work/trouble/expensive.

I would have the coach re-winterized. There is no assurance the coach's systems can stay with what it might take to keep the tanks and so on from freezing. NOBODY in their right mind would guarantee that in cold weather states. It'll only take them 10 minutes. It's just not worth the risk... -Al
Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My neighbor has agreed to install an electrical circuit for me.He is a very qualified union electrician so I know he will do it right.Most likely I will need to run an extension into my garage if I park on the street.The electrical service line will have to be approx 75 feet total. Will this be a problem or should I try to back the coach into the driveway.The drive is inclined very slight.The 50 amp cord from the coach would be adequate if I use the drive.We will most likely do the 50 amp service especially since there will be very little labor charge.Maybe a couple beers!!
About how much time does it take to winterize and what do I need on hand to do the job? When we return to Indiana in mid-Feb I will need to stop somewhere and winterize I guess or could I wait till I get back home to do it??Any thoughts?
Thanks for the opinions it really helps to talk to others who do this on a regular basis.

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #13

Re: the winterizing. That would be an AWESOME question to ask at the end of your pre-delivery! Make it a point to have them show you how! It's really simple, and once beyond the point of having to figure it all out on your own, only takes 10-15 minutes.... and the price of a gallon of anti freeze. Maybe 2 if you're a rookie!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #14

Leave the coach winterized until you get far enough south. We carry enough water in jugs to get us to temperate climes. If we have to use the toilet we flush with RV antifreeze. Cheap enough considering the alternative of freezing and bursting lines, etc.
Highway speeds in cold areas could cause the influx of freezing temps into parts of the coach that don't get that cold while just sitting and being occupied.