Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #1

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me out with this problem: I noticed my 1996 Bounder Motorhome listing to the side pretty badly and also the rear stone curtain was dragging the ground. I discovered that there were broken suspension pieces attached to both tag axles that had sheared. The Pieces are a set of three vulcanized rubber (dampers?) sandwiched between metal plates and bolted to the outer ends of the tag axle. I cannot find a manufacturer or part number on them, however, they are marked with "EZ4" on the outer rubber parts, and "OK4" on the inner sandwich.

I can't find anything in my Ford Service manual, so I am thinking they are aftermarket stabilizers or something.

If anyone has any info regarding manufacturer, part numbers, replacement procedures, etc., please help. Also, if there is a better replacement for these items I could do an upgrade. I tow a race car and trailer, so I do put quite a load on the rear of the vehicle.

Thanks,

hhdinyuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #2

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me out with this problem: I noticed my 1996 Bounder Motorhome listing to the side pretty badly and also the rear stone curtain was dragging the ground. I discovered that there were broken suspension pieces attached to both tag axles that had sheared. The Pieces are a set of three vulcanized rubber (dampers?) sandwiched between metal plates and bolted to the outer ends of the tag axle. I cannot find a manufacturer or part number on them, however, they are marked with "EZ4" on the outer rubber parts, and "OK4" on the inner sandwich.

I can't find anything in my Ford Service manual, so I am thinking they are aftermarket stabilizers or something.

If anyone has any info regarding manufacturer, part numbers, replacement procedures, etc., please help. Also, if there is a better replacement for these items I could do an upgrade. I tow a race car and trailer, so I do put quite a load on the rear of the vehicle.

Thanks,

Old 04-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
hhdinyuma,

First of all, Welcome to IRV2

The pieces or your rig that are broken are the rubber shear springs used in a MorRyde suspension system.

The MorRyde system is actually an enhancement added as an aftermarket upgrade to many motorhomes or can be installed by the coach manufacturer often times in tag axle configurations such as yours.

The good news is that the rubber springs are fairly easily replaceable. I've installed morRyde systems as aftermarket units on a couple coaches and the springs aren't that hard to install if your inclined to do it yourself.

Here is a link for MorRyde where you can get their contact information and order your spare springs. FYI, the springs are sized according to the load they must carry and are available in several strengths so they will ask you either for a number that may be molded into the rubber, or your chassis size and weight.

MorRyde Website

Be sure to check out the various links on their webpage as they have working demonstrations on how the system works as well as technical documents availble for download.

Good luck with your repair.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #4

My drive axle suspension looks similar to yours, and I fail to see anything on the Morryde website that comes close.

I have a 1992 Southwind and have owned it since 2001, and have yet to find out what I have. I thought it was Morryde also, but can't find anything like.

Maybe I missed it.
jenks60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The best place to look for your specific axle configuration is probably this page.
MorRyde Service Manuals

There are numerous configurations. Each of the service manuals will have multiple designs so you will need to review all the documentation to find your particular unit.

The tag axle configurations are under the Legacy products about 3/4 way down the page. Your drive axle configuration may also be under the Legacy product listing.

Another option would be to simply call MorRyde. The rubber shear springs haven't changed much over the years, but the support bracketry has changed quite a bit. They should be able to pull their drawings for your specific rig and get the parts you need.

I know when I installed my system on a 1999 chassis, they had to custom make a couple parts for me so the chassis can vary.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:40 AM   #6

Thanks so much! I found exactly what I needed to make the repairs. I am going to call them this morning and get the parts.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #7

I also say thanks to you, Joe.

I have been looking for years, don't know why I could not find that.
jenks60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
You're Welcome