Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #1

Burning Rubber Smell NO toad

I've seen numerous posts on here and other forums about a burning rubber smell after towing.

Well, we aren't towing but we had a strong burning rubber smell from our engine (really noticeable in the bedroom, but could even smell it up front) to the point where we pulled over and called CoachNet. They sent out a service guy and he checked it out thoroughly (well, he didn't take apart the bed, to see the engine but got underneath the coach) and guessed that it was just leaving on the exhaust brake too long heated up the exhaust which created the smell.

The exhaust high temp light did come on a few times, so does that sound right?

Anyway, we went along our way, turned off the exhaust brake and haven't smelled it since, but only drove about 30 miles since. Hoping that's the end of it since we're a long way from home.

Oh yeah, we're driving a 2008 Fleetwood Excursion -freightliner chassis cummins engine.

Thanks!
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think what most of us are talking about regarding a burning smell after towing is in the towed vehicle, and not the motor home. If you're getting a burning smell in the motor home, I think it would be important to find the source.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could it have been the diesel particulate filter doing a regen? That would heat the surrounding area up and possibly burn off either rubber dust kicked up, or overspray of undercoating.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If your exhaust brake is causing the smell, then there's a problem with your exhaust manifold, I would say.
All your exhaust brake does is restrict your exhaust to cause back pressure in your engine. If your exhaust manifold had a leak, then the hot air is escaping the manifold and heating something up.
This is where I would start. I certainly wouldn't take a trip without my exhaust brake fully working.
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #5

Surely the exhaust high temp warning light has a significant meaning especially when it is accompanied by a burning smell. What does your owners manual say about the high temp warning? Leaving the exhaust brake on while driving at a steady speed normally doesn't do anything because it is not activating.

My guess is the guy that Coach Net sent out to you is just a tow truck driver and not a qualified RV mechanic. My recommendation is to take it to a Freightliner service center and have it checked out why you are getting the exhaust high temp light with the burning smell.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
What does your owners manual say about the high temp warning?
From the owner's manual:
The high exhaust system temperature lamp indicates, when illuminated, that exhaust temps are high due to regeneration of the after treatment diesel particulate filter. The lamp could illuminate during normal engine operation or during stationary regeneration.
NOTE: The OEM determines whether or not the High Exhaust System Temp is installed on the vehicle. The OEM also specifies the temperatures, vehicle speeds, and other conditions at which the lamp illumnates. Refer to the OEM manual for additional info. regarding this lamp.

When the lamp is illuminated, the exhaust gas temp could reach 1500*F, which is enough to ignite or melt common materials, and to burn people.

NOTE: The HEST lamp does not signify the need for any kind of vehicle or engine service; it merely alerts the vehicle operator to high exhaust temperatures. It will be common for the HEST lamp to illuminate on and off during normal vehicle operation as the engine completes regeneration.

Obviously, we checked to see if there was anything that could be burning near the exhaust...nothing. Not sure if the two things are related. I will say that some city driving was done with the exhaust brake on, newbie driver error....but what was heating up so much to cause the smell? The service guy said it could possibly be the sleeve that surrounds the exhaust outlet. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
Could it have been the diesel particulate filter doing a regen? That would heat the surrounding area up and possibly burn off either rubber dust kicked up, or overspray of undercoating.

Mike

Mine did just that, rubber dust burned off
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesinRockies View Post
Mine did just that, rubber dust burned off

So did you smell that smell?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #9

Regardless of the cause within the engine compartment, there should never be a smell inside the living space.

I would be taking the bed apart (no hinged lid???) to make sure exhaust gases aren't being directed up at the bed structure and overheating something
Old 02-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #10

Well, we drove 500 miles today and no smell what-so-ever. Of course we were sniffing constantly. I'm hoping that it was in fact the diesel particulate doing a regen and there was some rubber dust on there.
Anyone know how often the regen happens?
And the bed is hinged but he said he'd have to take off the frame as it was blocking the hatch.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #11

Kevin, in that 500 miles did you have an exhaust hot warning light? It could be you will only get this smell when you get the exhaust hot warning light. You need to go to a Freightliner dealer and have it checked as to why you had the warning and why you had the smell associated with it.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
So did you smell that smell?
Yes I did, more so outside but some inside, I have a rear bath and I believe it came in though the window as it was not latched, I have now almost 39000 miles and when I got the coach it had 32000 miles, it regen at around 36000 or so. First and only time it has. I called a shop the day that it happened and he thought maybe it was rubber dust as it has been so dry up until snow happened.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #13

Not sure I buy the rubber dust. Everyone with that type system would be smelling it and complaining. If so Freightliner would have a Technical Bullitin on the subject.

So why are you smelling it now??????
Old 02-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
When mine regens again and if I smell it again, I am going to take it in to a shop for peace of mind. I looked all around the exhaust and engine compartment for something melting or rubber that got hot, couldn't find anything, I used a flashlight and mirror to inspect it, and found nothing.

Tags
smell, toad