Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #15
This isn't anything new. As mentioned earlier this law only applies to a "means of visually receiving a television broadcast". I believe it's a federal law as well. In any case all RV manufacturers that I am aware of have a lockout (when the ignition key is in the on position) for any Television that's within the drivers field of vision. As far back as 2001 our Winnebago Adventurer had a lockout on the television in the driver's compartment. The one in the bedroom didn't.

There have been many complaints through the years where people want to defeat the lockout to kids can watch television od DVD's as the motorhome cruises down the road.

2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think just about every state has a law/reg governing a television screen in view of the driver. So does the federal vehicle safety code, which applies to every newly manufactured vehicle for use in the US, including imports. That's why we have the ignition key interlock in all RVs that have a front tv anywhere in the driver's view.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #17

On my 2004 the TV in front, above and to the right of the driver will receive TV when moving. I didn't change it so perhaps the previous owner changed the power source. And no, I don't have it on while traveling. Found this out when I had to move the RV a few feet to connect to the RV spot dump.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #18
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Here's an excerpt from the Washington State Motor Vehicle Code:

RCW 46.37.480
Television viewers—Earphones.
(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle equipped with any television viewer, screen, or other means of visually receiving a television broadcast when the moving images are visible to the driver while operating the motor vehicle on a public road, except for live video of the motor vehicle backing up.
I highlighted the Key text.. I do know there are many police officers who are reading impaired so I will give you a caution.

There really is a time and place to argue with a law enforcement officer.. IT IS NOT while he has you pulled over on the side of the road for any reason.

(The Time and Place will be on the face of the ticket, Usually near the bottom).

Since the images from your lane change cameras are NOT BROADCAST, No radio is involved,k this law clearly does not apply.

IF an officer cited me for that violation.. I would accept the ticket, then present the judge with the section of law. Highlighted as I did above, and ask for it to be dismissed (Also the operator's manual or a copy of it for the cameras)

Then I'd ask for the officer to show cause why he should not pay for my new engine. (Basically) since he clearly over extended himself and harassed me just because I have a hundred thousand dollar (Price is only an example) "Car".
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
I like having my backup camera running when driving down the road on Interstates. I use my mirrors for all lane changes, etc but the added view from right behind the rig that would normally be what I see in a car's windshield rear view mirror is very useful. On my 2008 View, the monitor is mounted just about where a rear view mirror would be located.
History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #20
This whole thread was started as a joke, right????
Full Timing since 2005
09 Journey 34Y, 2015 Grand Cherokee Toad
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
Nanny State strikes again. Did we really need that law.
Only rode once with a fellow who liked to read pocketbooks when he was traveling.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #22
Busted for looking at my lane change cameras?

A Lot of laws are made because of stupid people that have no common sense. Most of us have enough sense not to watch TV while driving down the road. A law was passed for those other people.

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel
U320 4010
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #23

I don't think so....It's not in the RV Humor forum. lol
Brian and Kim VanBuskirk
2008 Damon Tuscany 40 DP
Tow: 20" Trailer with Classic C3 Corvettes
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #24
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I doubt the manufacturers would be selling vehicles with something that is illegal. Although... they do sell a lot of vehicles without directional signals.
joemusic321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:17 AM   #25
Personally, I've never seen police wearing stilts or driving jacked up 4x4's........

How in the world would they ever even see the screen unless the vehicle was parked?
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #26
I think the legislative intent of the law includes side rear view cameras as permissible.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #27
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
If they're going to bust you for that, they'd be busting everyone using a GPS.
Which they will in some states that specify which parts of the windscreen they can be mounted on.

Since the images from your lane change cameras are NOT BROADCAST, No radio is involved,k this law clearly does not apply.
This is a simplistic interpretation. Having a TV showing an in-house movie in view of the driver WILL also get you a ticket - and deservedly so.
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #28
Vintage RV Owners Club
How about wireless cameras? They broadcast to anyone near by. Are we technically illegal?

87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote