Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Buy a Motorhome??

We are thinking about purchasing a Motorhome....would appreciate your advise.

We currently RV with a very nice RAM 1500 truck and a 33 ft trailer...we love both the truck and trailer. The truck is on the edge of not being enough to pull the trailer comfortably especially when the winds kick up or semis pass us by. A new bigger truck set up the way we would want will take 50 Gs or so out of pocket.....maybe it would be better to purchase a used Motorhome and tow a car we already have, or purchase something small to tow. I bet others have been through this..........your advise will be very much appreciated.

We have friends with a 30 ft motorhome, we would want something with more kitchen space, so maybe we need 33 or 36 Ft.

Used v New...........how old is too old? How do you check out a used vehicle? Brands to avoid? On and on..........

Thanks in advance for the help I know will be arriving.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Years ago we decided not to buy a class A until we retired. Sitting around isn't good for them plus they are a lot of money.

So the year we retired we bought a new one. Would have bought a used one if we could have found what we wanted...which included two potties. We love having two toilets and when one broke (water hose fitting snapped) we had a spare.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Most of what you want to know is actually mostly a matter of opinion. My opinion is the main determination in deciding on the right RV is figuring out how often, and in what way, you will use it. If you are going to be living in it for months on then size is a big factor in my book. If it's mainly going to be a long weekend escape vehicle I'll just every month or two than I can get by with much less. What isn't just a matter of opinion, or preference, is the condition of the engine and chassis.

We fell in love with the floor plan of a 1999 Winnebago Chieftain but I was concerned about a 12 year old vehicle with only 45,000 miles. To me it was worth the couple hundred dollar investment to have the Ford Truck Dealer dollars to do a total diagnostic on my vehicle. In almost two years and 12,000 miles I have not had a single engine or chassis issue. In contrast I have known a guy who bought a five year old rig who is putting his engine mechanic's kid through collage with the endless repairs he's paying for.

The point I am making is that it's not just about the number of years, but it's more about the treatment the vehicle has received and the current condition it's in. Putting 5k into a vehicle I saved 20k on when buying it is a good investment to me. To others they'd think they got ripped off by having to pay for the repairs, and now wish they had bought the newer vehicle, in the hope that the more expensive vehicle might not have needed the work.

Yet when all is said and done, no matter how well you research it, how carefully you inspect it, and how many opinions you get, there will ALWAYS be an element of risk and luck in buying any vehicle, new or used. I got lucky, my buddy didn't.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to Raining Star and Arch Hoagland.
After I started this thread I found "Why a Motor Home" started by Meezermom. That thread was very helpful....thanks to all that replied to that post.

I'll be appreciative for any input...but those who already spent time on Why a Motor Home sure don't have to spend time here........I got the message.

Thanks again to all.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:34 AM   #5

Wow towing a 33 foot trailer with a half ton and you are thinking it is on the edge of not being big enough? I'd say you past that point 10 feet ago! Motorhomes have their advantages as do trailers, get what works for you.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #6

Here are some random tips and suggestions. Remember these my opinions.
If your looking at a gas unit compare the GVWR and wheel base for the same size units. Example the Allegro 36LA sits on a 24K chassis and 252" wheel base. The heaver the chassis and longer the wheel base for any particular size unti, the better the handling. So compare that to similar size units.
I don't think you'll find a bath and a half in anything under 36ft in a gas, 40 ft in a DP.
I would try and stay with newer models simply because they typically have newer technology and amenities built in. As for new or used, well,that's kind of like asking which is best; Ford or Chevy. Go with what your comfortable with.
As for a toad you can expect to,spend any where between $2400 an $3200 to properly set it up for towing.
You also mentioned handling. Although our first coach, a 36LA handled well it doesn't compare to our current DP. Typically DPs are much heaver and will handle cross winds and semis better than a gas unit. They are also smoother riding.
As mentioned earlier there are just my opinion.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Fiat View Post
We are thinking about purchasing a Motorhome....would appreciate your advise.

We currently RV with a very nice RAM 1500 truck and a 33 ft trailer...we love both the truck and trailer. The truck is on the edge of not being enough to pull the trailer comfortably especially when the winds kick up or semis pass us by. A new bigger truck set up the way we would want will take 50 Gs or so out of pocket.....maybe it would be better to purchase a used Motorhome and tow a car we already have, or purchase something small to tow. I bet others have been through this..........your advise will be very much appreciated.

We have friends with a 30 ft motorhome, we would want something with more kitchen space, so maybe we need 33 or 36 Ft.

Used v New...........how old is too old? How do you check out a used vehicle? Brands to avoid? On and on..........

Thanks in advance for the help I know will be arriving.
This is the exact conclusion we came to earlier this year as I planned to buy a crew cab 1ton for our next trailer and growing family but realized I could get a better deal on a used motorhome, a dedicated vacation vehical that stays clean and no one will ask to borrow. From What I have looked at 8 years old and newer seems to be the sweetspot. although there are some beautiful 12 year old coaches out there I wouldn't want to start that old.

The numbers don't lie the $30-$40K you can spend on a USED dually and $15-20K on a USED trailer can buy a lot of motorhome. For us I think it would create the opportunity to clear the schedule and use it more often.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks 2500HD, Selah and 89Sandman for your input. Have a great day.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Bob, we pulled a 5er for 12 years before getting the MH in 2012. We loved our Cedar Creek 36' 5er! After retirement we wanted to do a lot of traveling, seeing parts of the USA that we had never been able to see before. We decided that it would be a lot more comfortable to travel in a MH than the 5er. We sold the 5er and our 2010 Ford F250 diesel pickup, bought the MH and a small Nissan Frontier pickup for me (every man needs a pickup). My wife had a 2008 Honda Accord that we set up for towing. We decided to get a 40' MH so we would have about the same amount of living area as the 36' 5er.

Right after getting the MH, we took a 2-month, 7000 mile trip out west, going through 13 states. We loved traveling in the MH!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome