Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2015, 01:05 AM   #1

Buy Existing Inventory or Pre-order?

First time buyer here, in the market for a new Newmar 4311, if I can find one.

Question is pretty simple. Ordering a new unit seems a setup to over-paying for the rig. Rigs in inventory have the MSRP with some percentage off of that, but how do you know the real price or value of a rig if they drop $70,000 off the purchase price without a thought. What is the real value? Am I going to pay more ordering (and waiting for) the unit I want, or should I just choose something off of a lot or in a show?

I would think the better deal is the last unit at the show that the dealer really doesn't want to drive back to the shop. I could live with a bath and a half model, but I am looking for specifics (ie wiring for solar).

Any advice appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 04:55 AM   #2
WDW

Location, location, location. Season, season, season / both influence the market conditions in negotiations. Depending on your plans, patience can save you thousands.

In our case we negotiated a decent deal but walked because of time of year. It's gets cold in October in Western NY. The dealer improved the offer and covered our overhead till spring. The bottom line - was, as it always is... negotiable!

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #3

Order exactly what you want, and get 28-30 percent off.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
the problem I think is that for a first time buyer, it is really hard to know what you really want. Maybe - it would be advisable to buy a nice used unit, at the right price and use it for a little bit. Traveling and talking to people you will get feel for what you would really like and the must haves for your traveling style. Then, you could order a new one with the right dealer giving you a fair discount and be pretty confident you are spending money for the right one.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:54 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We ordered all our motor homes (3) to get exactly what we wanted. We don't like to pay for options dealers order that we have no use for.
I also think it's like a car dealer; they are paying "Floor-plan" on their stock; so they add that cost to their selling price. If you order one it goes out a few days after it arrives and they have their cash.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:29 AM   #6

I'm impressed! My first post and within hours I have 5 replies. Thanks to all, this indicates a very active forum.

I have been researching and think I am settled on what I want, just not the manufacturer or model. All electric, tag axle 43 DP, outfitted for solar and higher end are a few requirements.

I have read on this board (and elsewhere) that maybe buying used is good to learn what you want and then trade up later. I have also read most folks that change rigs do so to trade up in size, not down.

I'm searching for a minimalist lifestyle (in a $400k rig) in Quartzite or surrounding long term areas in winter. I want to practice conservation and see how long I can live in the desert without using any gasoline. I want a rig that I don't have to trade because I feel cramped, or that it doesn't have key features that I need.

To do this, my lovely wife will accompany me. We need a rig large enough to splash extensively with solar panels and also to live comfortably fulltime.

Our top candidates at this time are Newmar and American Coach. Both companies make very nice coaches. I will talk to them at the show in Hershey in September.

I will keep reading this obviously very informative board.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:27 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think both manufacturers are quality, I have owned 2 American Coach's and the factory support has been some of the best i have ever experienced from any mfg. I also have seen and heard enough in my 15 years that Newmar is also a quality customer focused mfg.

I looked at Newmar both times I have bought, I find the biggest difference on the decorating, especially the interior decorating design which is mostly personal taste. After looking at a couple of each mfg on websites I think there is enough of a difference in interior decorating design that will help clarify the difference. Both Mfg have different model levels that you will see the various differences quickly in my opinion. I don't think one is better than the other when it comes to this, but personal preference.

Good luck and hopefully you will share you ultimate decision.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:54 AM   #8

Before actually purchasing a motorhome maybe you would be better off to rent a couple first. Before purchasing our first motorhome we did exactly that. The first one was a class C with a ton of amenities. The second one was an entry level class A. Between the 2 of them we quickly learned what we liked and disliked.

It was a lot easier to pick the size and the must have options when it came time to order our own. We found many on the lot had expensive options we had no interest in, and others that were missing some of what we considered must haves. In the end we ordered exactly what we wanted.

Another upside to ordering is that the dealer has no money outlay to keep it on the showroom floor or parking lot. Most dealers "floor plan" their inventory. When they order a new vehicle it's financed through a bank or other loan institution. They pay the monthly interest on the loan as long as it's on their lot. When they sell it the principal is due. So if a unit sits on the lot for 6 months the dealer has paid that number of months interest on the loan.

When ordering for a customer they can usually avoid the financing because it will be delivered and sold within a 30 day cycle. They turn their money quickly and can use it to invest in more inventory.

As a side note our first purchase fit us very well. We had it over 12 years and put over 100,000 miles on it before trading it off. We also ordered our current motorhome. It's now 2 years old and has almost 25,000 miles on the odometer. It's hard to know how long we'll keep it, but it fits us perfectly. So unless something really fantastic comes on the market in the next few years we'll probably keep this on as long as the first one.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:11 AM   #9

Patriot,
Since you are interested in the 4311, I'm guessing you have or anticipate the need for wheelchair access. I'd think, in that case, it would be difficult to find either a used or an "on the lot" unit. And if you did, finding your specific wants (all electric) will make it even tougher. Working with a good dealer (or the factory) to spec out your exact needs/wants, then presenting that Build sheet to several dealers will maximize the value to you. What others have said above is right. Dealers often spec out units for show as much as for "what folks will buy".
Buy what you want and pay for only what you want.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
My two cents:

First, the last two post had great advise.

I recently read an OP to buy your third coach first. Did not make sense at first, but now I think I understand the point.

Trading an RV for a new RV. The game is to low ball your currenlty owned RV on the wholesale side and give you a discount off the new coach at high retail. So rent a couple of RVs first and hone your knowledge:

Class C will get you to desire size and give you the gasoline experience; helped me understand the desire for a larger floor plan.

Class A renting is expensive but will give you the feel of the 43 foot driving experience. Your goal of 43 feet pretty much leaves diesel pushers as your power source for moving the coach down the road. Gasoline Class A's have not surpassed the 40 foot mark that I know of yet.

Some things to research for your taste and lifestyle: Floor plan, options like AGM batteries instead of deep cycle batteries, 2000 watt or larger Pure Sine Inverters, all electric coaches (induction cooking and convection microwave cooking), extra receptacles for your lifestyle, refrigerator/freezer outside coach, TV & entertainment center outside coach, satellite reception if desired (in motion or stationary), Three 15000 BTU ACs (a must in a 43 footer IMOP), Residential refrigerator inside of coach, MCD automated blinds, beneath floor heating, solar panels, tank heaters, and now 2016 models have an optional emergency exit door and passive steer tag axel. I am just mentioning a couple of the big items I either now know about or have and appreciate that I took the time to make sure I have.

To my point: If your research is done well, I would then recommend going and buying your $400,000. rig. Bartering a discount of 25% plus, and working with multiple dealerships will most likely work out for your best deal. However, once you add a trade-in in the bartering mix, you just arm the dealership with more bartering power in my way of thinking. The only way around this, would be to sell your rig privately then go buy the new RV.

Your question of pre-order vs. existing inventory: it can be viable if your patient and are willing to go anywhere in the Unites States to pickup, but to get your exact coach that fits your needs exactly will be a roll of the dice, $400,000.00 will get you the coach of your dreams IMOP, go pre-order.

Reality is the only obstacle, we get the itch to purchase a new RV, get impatient, and then dealerships come to our rescue for our trade-in and new coach.

Just saying.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #11

I forgot to add to my previous post the fact that once we decided on the motorhome and the options we sent our Requests for Quotes to over a dozen dealers. We already had the list prices for the basic coach and the individual options so there wasn't any need to get that information from each dealer.

Of the 12 dealers about 6 responded. We took the 3 lowest quotes and started the bargaining process. In the end we purchased our coaches without visiting the selling dealer until it was delivered.

In our case this worked out fine. We never take our motorhomes to a dealer for repairs so dealer service was a moot point. Anytime we need repairs or warranty work (other than chassis work) it goes to the manufacturers shop in Forest City IA. It's almost the same distance to Forest City as to any of the dealerships. The service is excellent, the prices are competitive, and there's no waiting for parts.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you ever been to quartzite?

Newmar, Am Coach - great brands. I would add Entegra to the mix were it me.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Further to your question, MSRP is MSRP, ordered or off the lot. Just double and triple check to be sure the MSRP isn't bogus to begin with. A call to the manu can clarify.

25% - 30% off MSRP can be had.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 05-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
One more thing, this person here is very familiar with the desert, conservation, and all that stuff you spoke of. She's also on the forum from time to time, but you might find some good reading on topics of interest here.

Wheeling It – Living the Fulltime RV Dream with 12 Paws, 40 Feet and the Open Road

'14 Ram 3500 Aisin

Tags
vent