Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Buyer Beware

The invoice clearly states------and this is line by line
Qty SKU Discription of Part, service etc Ea EXT
8 24304 Cast Bulk Oil 10W-30 3.99 $31.92

As far as I'm concerned, I was charged for 8 quarts for a 5 quart engine!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #16

I suspect that Frank's first description will be the correct response. Camping World lists an RV Oil Change (Gas) for $84.99. This would include "up to" some number of quarts of oil and I suspect that in this case that happens to be 8.
If the OP knew that the oil change would cost $84.99 and the bill then came to $84.99 (plus all the little goodies like shop charges, material and taxes) then he got just what he paid for no matter how they broke down the bill.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Which store do you work for Bill?
No matter how you cut it, if I paid for 8 and got 5, that is a 3 quart benifit for the store, not me. And Just think, after 2 customers, the store makes a $31.00 profit just on the oil alone.
The bottom line is-----no more CW for me at all!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 05:39 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
With respect to all concerning this discussion here is my ''take on it''......
I change my own oil on my coach.....

On my hood of the coach I have written down how many quarts of oil it takes and the ''filter number''. I also have written the size wrench it takes to lose the oil pan plug. My coach has ''jacks'' and I warm the engine. While the engine is warming I usually open a beer and have a sip and sing a little song with the radio playing. I run the jacks up as high as they will go, grab my ''oil catch pan, the proper wrench, my filter wrench, my pre loaded oil filter and my carpet square and crawl under''. I am careful to put a straw in my beer so I can have a ''little sip'' while under the coach. I remove the plug and let the oil drain in the catch pan. While I am waiting for the oil to drain I give everything a good ''look, see'', fumble and feel. I usually finish the first beer by now and I reach forward for the six pack and get another because changing oil is hot work and you must hydrate. I open another one and drink it thru the straw. When the oil pan finishes draining I put the plug back in and tighten it and move the catch pan under the filter and remove same. Here is another place to have a ''little sip'' of beer while you are trying to remove the filter because this is kinda hard work. (note. this is where you will get oil on your hand so take a towell with you to clean up cause you dont want oil in your beer) I carefully screw on the ''pre loaded filter'' and tighten with the wrench. note .... dont knock your beer over with your elbow.. Note on ''pre loaded filter''. I always take my oil filter and pour it about three fourths full of oil. This saves that ''long wait'' when you start the engine for the oil pump to fill the filter. I also insist on this if I have Gomer change my oil. I double check everything and wipe up drips and dribbles, get my tools and my catch can and crawl out from under the coach taking everything with me including my now empty second beer can.. Now comes the fun part.. I always buy my oil in gallon cans (and my beer in six packs) I keep a one quart bottle for measuring the oil (not the beer), I oben another beer and measure out the oil and pour it in the spout that gose to the ''big whirlie thingie that makes the coach go dow the rowde. I am uzualy sipping my next bear as I pore in th e oil. Wen I ged the prober amound of oil in the ''whirlei thingie'' I uzualy selebrade with anodder beer. I ged all my stuff up and pud it away and go in th coch and led the jackz down and fire the ingen up and be sure it is ok and I open my last beer and hav a lay down on the sofa and sometimez a liddle nappie poo because changing oil is fun bud it is hard work....... and I can tak the munnie I save and buy MORE BEER................LOL.......
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe
God bless our vets ....ALL GAVE SOME .....SOME GAVE ALL...
Note. If you change your own oil ALWAYS DISPOSE OF IT PROPERLY. MOST ADVANCE, AUTOZONE AND SOME NAPA STORES WILL BE GLAD TO TAKE IT.....
Old 05-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I think you left a few lines out of the bill.
And not telling the rest of the story.

I also agree with Bill. And I know he doesn't work for any CW store.

Next time you may be better off asking what the bill will be ahead of time, before signing your name on the work order. You did sign one didn't you?
That you agree to pay them the bill when done.
At whatever shop you use they will probably have you sign one.

I think CW posted prices for a oil change are to high. And would never use them for that. I do do my own anyway.

But I have used them for installing other things at their set install price.
And that has always turn out to be a bargain compared to other shops hourly rate.

And I do not work at any of their stores or own any stock.
You have the right to never use CW at all.

When traveling you may want to use a recommended Workhorse approved shop from now on. But they do have some CW shops on their list, that you can just dismiss.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Which store do you work for Bill?
No matter how you cut it, if I paid for 8 and got 5, that is a 3 quart benifit for the store, not me. And Just think, after 2 customers, the store makes a $31.00 profit just on the oil alone.
The bottom line is-----no more CW for me at all!!!!!!
I understand your misplaced frustration, but don't take it out on me.
If you didn't ask CW how much your oil change would cost before they did the work then my only response would be "shame on you". However, I suspect that since CW posts their oil change prices, you were aware of the oil change charges. You were charged what they charge to change oil you really don't have a leg to stand on here.
If I were wrong you would have shown that you were charged more than that stated CW price. Not all vehicles take the same amount of oil so nearly all fixed price oil changes include "up to" some number of quarts of oil be it CW or Jiffy Lube.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #21

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
As I have said many, many times to my DW and anyone else unfortunate enough to be within earshod, CW is in sad need of some real competition!

They are handy when you are in an area where there is one, and I have made use of them to get odds and ends that I needed while camping in Myrtle Beach, but we all know in our heart of hearts that their prices are higher than what you can get online. And although I have never had service work done there, obviously they are less than ethical, because they can be.

I'm showing my age here, but it reminds me of the woman on Laugh In who played the operator for the phone company. She would say "we serve everyone from Presidents and Kings to the scum of the earth." "If you have problems, we don't care, we don't have to, we're the phone company." It was hilarious...and sad.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #22

Without any further comment I will just recommend that NO ONE go under their coach which has been raised high on it's jacks! This is very dangerous and could cause serious injury or death should the jacks collapse unexpectedly.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
Without any further comment I will just recommend that NO ONE go under their coach which has been raised high on it's jacks! This is very dangerous and could cause serious injury or death should the jacks collapse unexpectedly.

Excellet advice. James Scoggins a iRV2 member here was all packed up for a trip in his Prevost and crawled under to check something out and the bus came down on him killing him. He is in the iRV2 Member Memorials.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
With respect to all concerning this discussion here is my ''take on it''......
I change my own oil on my coach.....
On my hood of the coach I have written down how many quarts of oil it takes and the ''filter number''. I also have written the size wrench it takes to lose the oil pan plug. My coach has ''jacks'' and I warm the engine. While the engine is warming I usually open a beer and have a sip and sing a little song with the radio playing. I run the jacks up as high as they will go, grab my ''oil catch pan, the proper wrench, my filter wrench, my pre loaded oil filter and my carpet square and crawl under''. I am careful to put a straw in my beer so I can have a ''little sip'' while under the coach. I remove the plug and let the oil drain in the catch pan. While I am waiting for the oil to drain I give everything a good ''look, see'', fumble and feel. I usually finish the first beer by now and I reach forward for the six pack and get another because changing oil is hot work and you must hydrate. I open another one and drink it thru the straw. When the oil pan finishes draining I put the plug back in and tighten it and move the catch pan under the filter and remove same. Here is another place to have a ''little sip'' of beer while you are trying to remove the filter because this is kinda hard work. (note. this is where you will get oil on your hand so take a towell with you to clean up cause you dont want oil in your beer) I carefully screw on the ''pre loaded filter'' and tighten with the wrench. note .... dont knock your beer over with your elbow.. Note on ''pre loaded filter''. I always take my oil filter and pour it about three fourths full of oil. This saves that ''long wait'' when you start the engine for the oil pump to fill the filter. I also insist on this if I have Gomer change my oil. I double check everything and wipe up drips and dribbles, get my tools and my catch can and crawl out from under the coach taking everything with me including my now empty second beer can.. Now comes the fun part.. I always buy my oil in gallon cans (and my beer in six packs) I keep a one quart bottle for measuring the oil (not the beer), I oben another beer and measure out the oil and pour it in the spout that gose to the ''big whirlie thingie that makes the coach go dow the rowde. I am uzualy sipping my next bear as I pore in th e oil. Wen I ged the prober amound of oil in the ''whirlei thingie'' I uzualy selebrade with anodder beer. I ged all my stuff up and pud it away and go in th coch and led the jackz down and fire the ingen up and be sure it is ok and I open my last beer and hav a lay down on the sofa and sometimez a liddle nappie poo because changing oil is fun bud it is hard work....... and I can tak the munnie I save and buy MORE BEER................LOL.......
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe
God bless our vets ....ALL GAVE SOME .....SOME GAVE ALL...
Note. If you change your own oil ALWAYS DISPOSE OF IT PROPERLY. MOST ADVANCE, AUTOZONE AND SOME NAPA STORES WILL BE GLAD TO TAKE IT.....

Real bad advice to tell people to run their jacks down and crawl under. Better lay off the beer
Old 05-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #25

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Qty SKU Discription of Part, service etc Ea EXT
8 24304 Cast Bulk Oil 10W-30 3.99 $31.92

As far as I'm concerned, I was charged for 8 quarts for a 5 quart engine!
Ok, If that's how it was listed on the invoice, then, for what's worth, I'm on your side; and I'd have been there with my gallon container to claim the three quarts of oil that I didn't get.

What's left unanswered is how was the service presented to you? Was it at a fixed, one-price, "fits all" total "package" (like the $39.95 I used in the example of my previous posting) or something else? I have to suspect the oil change was a fixed price, otherwise, itemizing eight quarts of oil at $3.99 on the invoice when only five were used would have almost every customer jumping up and down, screaming and hollering at the service counter whenever they were charged for oil they didn't receive.

If it is a one-price deal, then there had to be some other charges that you omitted- at minimum, the cost for the oil filter and possibly some other miscellaneous charge(s) like labor, service, used oil disposal fee etc. What were the other itemized charges that add up to the total charge for the service?

One more editorial comment FWIW: You were away from home and in a strange place. While there were other choices, you, yourself, selected CW as your service provider for "peace of mind", reputation, convenience and whatever other reasons you want to insert here. You got all that, didn't you? Yeah, it cost you about $12.00 (unnecessarily) more than it should have. But if the job was done right (and I have to assume it was because you didn't complain of any problems with the service performed or afterwards), then I think you should just write this whole thing off as the cost of doing business under unusual circumstances.

Here's another example in a little different perspective: My son owns a small tool & supply store here. A mechanic is working on a customer's car and has promised to have it ready for him by five O'clock. He runs in to a situation where a certain tool is needed which he doesn't have. He runs out to the Horrible (Harbor) Freight store to buy it (Chinese made and cheap) but they don't have one. Then he comes to my son's store. He has it, but it's American made and costs probably two or more times the cost of what the tool would have cost at the Horrible Freight. He's not happy about the price, but he buys it. Although, he paid the price for doing business under unusual circumstances, he got in return a high-quality tool that will, most likely, outlive the one he could have bought at the Horrible Freight had the tool been in stock.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #26

Just another thought. I would think what ever engine you have it would take more than 5 quarts with a filter change. I would guess more like 6 or 7 quarts.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Bottom line is..... Did you get what you ask for at the price quoted? If so what's the beef. I don't do business at CW for other reasons. But if they delivered the agreed on product or service on time for the quoted price you got what you bought.
If they didn’t quote before the job then you may have an argument if they did, pay up and thank them for a job well done.

Dick
Old 05-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #28

So you go into the grocery store and there is a sign placed on an item you usually purchase for two dollars each, that says "Five For Five Dollars", and you say to yourself - one dollar each today, good deal - and load four of them into your cart for purchase.

After checking out you discover that they charged you eight dollars for the four items so you complain ti the store, and inform others via the internet how you have been ripped off, even though lower down on the said sign that you must take five to get the lower price, which was pointed out to you by management but you still think you was ripped off.

Well, life sucks sometimes huh?

Ed
Closed Thread