Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Buyer Beware

On the 28th of April, 2010, I stopped at Camping World in Little Rock,AR for a service. I figured that since I was on the road and had no idea where a good shop was, they would be the best.
I had the oil change/ lube done. When I went to pay, I noticed that I was charged $3.99 for 8 quarts of bulk oil. I informed the clerk that my engine holds only 5 quarts and asked why the charge for 8. I was told that 8 quarts were included in the service and "That's the way it is". I Paid and left with a bad taste in my mouth.
I later emailed the corporate customer service and told them what had happened and asked why I was charged $12 for something I didn't get. I received the same answer that I had at the store. With one difference. That was that if it took one quart or 8 or anything in between, I would pay for 8 quarts.
That will be my last dealing with the service department of any Camping World. I feel that it is not ethical and a customer ripoff.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #2

I agree you were ripped off. It is unethical also. Bulk oil generally means the way they receive the oil, not how much you are required to pay for. This is when paying with a CC gives you a chance to fight this kind of crap.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #3

I have to agree with you, it was a ripoff! Sometime let me tell you about my Beaudry RV experience in Tucson. Sadly, they are out there. I recommend you put it here so others can avoid them: http://rvservicereviews.com/
Moto
Old 05-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Amen, brothers and sisters. CW is just another "big box store", trying to make it on volume, not customer care.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Angry

Be thankful you weren't having the oil changed on your lawn mower.

I know this might sound a little weird to some of you, but I would have obtained a gallon container and demanded the employee to fill it with the other three quarts. I'm a sore loser when these kind of "games" are played.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I still have the email from Cust Svc----so after I get the last comment from that jerk, I'll let him know that I posted this on at least 6 websites including the RV review
In fact, I just renewed my Prez Club so I think I'll ask for my money back
I was going to ask for the oil but I was so ticked, tired and still had more miles to go that I just walked out.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #7

Frank Martin is right, you paid for the oil, it is yours. I know how you felt, but I am such a hard ass on that stuff, it would have been a bad scene.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is the ''short version'' concerning my experience with Camping World services.
we had a Banks exhaust system installed on our Pace Arrow by CW. It took them over two weeks to complete the task and they wanted me to pay for Gomers broken easy outs and drill bits he broke off. They wanted me to pay the normal hour fee of one hundred dollars plus per hour for Gomer fumbling around and breaking things. I told them where to ''stick it'' and that I was coming with the sheriff to get my coach and I would pay them nothing at all if they gave me trouble. We finally settled for four grand which was way more than the original agreement but my wife said it was not worth getting my blood pressure up over
the incident.
Short story is this ..... I will not let them ''Camping World'' wash my coach much less work on it ........
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe
God bless our vets ....ALL GAVE SOME.... SOME GAVE ALL ....
Old 05-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am in agreement with all the above. The same is true with labor. I once needed some o2 sensors for a car and the dealer told me it would be 4 hours labor. I asked him for a loaner since it was going to be 4 hours and he told me that the car would be ready in about 1 hour. The book called for 4 hours. It actually was done in 45 minutes. I ranted and raved to the manager and paid for one hour.I was lucky that I caught them at their own game. I told him that I had no problem paying $ 105 an hour for labor but only for the hour that was used.

I know this is a common problem and when it goes against them they are the first to charge you more saying they ran into unforeseen problems.

Yes as the thread implies the Buyer Beware.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 05-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I thought that rather than confronting them there, and it would not have done any good, I'd just post it on every site I could think of. That should warn people of what crooked stuff they pull
Old 05-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
I thought that rather than confronting them there, and it would not have done any good, I'd just post it on every site I could think of. That should warn people of what crooked stuff they pull
You did the right thing, Finhawk....I for one never plan to visit another CW based on your report as well as many others I've read over the past few years.

CW just doesn't get it
Old 05-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #12

On another forum I hang around Marcus posts there and said if you ever have any problems at CW to email him and he will try and make it right. I have seen alot of people very satasfied by him. Cant hurt any to try and post back if you do and let us know how you make out.

Marcus Lemonis, Chairman & CEO FreedomRoads, Camping World and RVs.com: mlemonis@campingworldrv.com
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
Old 05-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have only seen at Camping World shops, set prices for oil changes.
Not by the qt.

One price for Gas and one for Diesel engines and another for Generators.
Prices include oil & filter. So it shouldn't make any difference how many qt. is on the bill.

Walmart does the same & most quick change places. They usually add on $$ if you use over 5-6 qt.

Don't look like anyone was cheated to me, if set price was posted.
OP didn't say if price was the same for everyone.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #14

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I may open Pandora's Box here, but if you're willing to share this information, we need to know how the service was described and how it was presented on the invoice.

If the dervice description said something like "Oil Change $39.95 (Includes filter and up to 8 quarts of oil)" and when you got the bill, it simply read "Oil Change and Filter: $39.95", then, I don't think you'd have any room to squawk, regardless of whether you used one quart or all eight.

However, if the same service description as above was used, but when you got the bill it was itemized like "8 quarts of oil @ $3.99/quart: $31.92", "Oil filter: $8.03", "Total: $39.95", then, in my opinion, you've been ripped off because it's clearly stated on the bill that you've been charged for eight quarts of oil, even though in this case, only five quarts of oil were required.

Please understand that I'm not trying to point any fingers here nor assert the blame on one party or another. I'm only trying to "put all the cards on the table" and let the membership (and you) decide for yourselves as to whether this was an honest and fair deal, or not.

Closed Thread