Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

Buying a motor home in the States

Hi,

We live in Canada and were thinking of going down to the States to buy a used motor home. The prices are somewhat better and there is so much more selection...however...

I just read that you have to bring the motor home back to Canada immediately to register it...we were planning on buying down there and then driving around for three months before we headed back up to Canada.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks
Barbara
AloraDanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
If you have to Register the Unit immediatly then I would buy from one of the U.S. cities close to you...B.C. buy Seattle...ETC. and then go back register the unit and have a great trip. Welcome to the forum.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #3

Im not sure about immediately. I would think it depends on how long the temporary permit is good for and more importantly how long your insurance company will insure the coach before it has gone through proper import process. If you have 3months to spend that would make a great first road trip. Find the coach you want. Buy it. Drive home and make sure it drives right and all things work mechanically. Import it and continue on your 3mth journey.

Jon
jbilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #4

ckeck with U.S and Canada customs.my concerns would be that when you buy the rv and transfer it into your name it is yours,transfer 3 months later and you have problems then what
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do some checking before you buy. I don't remember if you check with Dep't of Transportation, or Canada Customs, but they provide a list of motor homes that will be approved for licensing in Canada. You don't want to buy a motorhome that you won't be allowed to license in Canada.

Also, when you bring it into Canada, it has to be inspected (at a fee) for Canadian certification.

I have also heard that the RVIA sticker has to be on the motorhome to get it through Customs.

I have also heard that you can pre-register your newly purchased U.S.A. motorhome, so that when you come home with it, there are no hassles at the border.

All good thoughts worth investigating before you buy.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Or buy one, that was built for Canada....
Have you checked the Canadian websites like: www.kijiji.ca
Prices are very good (down)
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
There are some vehicles, not sure about RV's, that your not allowed to import to Canada. Check with the Border and ask them to direct you to the web page which will give you details to import. As well we bought our 5ver in Canada because of the double pane windows and extra insulation. I think a lot of RV's have differences in insulation and windows depending on where the RV is being sold.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #8

Hey Barbara:

Easy, easy to buy in the US & import to Canada..... Not so easy to drive it for 3 mo before you Register & Insure it.

We purchased our RV in Los Angeles last March. First step is to go to the Government of Canada website - RIV ( registrar of import vehicles). This website will give you step by step instructions for the process. The second step is to call your insurance broker and find out how long they will give to get it home - imported, inspected and approved.

Good luck ... Real easy .... Go for it.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #9

Besides the insurance issue, there is the issue of license plates. You can not get canadian license plates without having the vehicle imported into Canada and having the safety and other checks done. As far as getting "In Transit" plates that will depend on the state you purchase it from. I doubt, however, that you could get an "in transit" plate good for three months. Best bet is to buy import vacation.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Jack1234 has 'er covered. I bought my previous rig down in Colorado and drove it home. Was issued temp plates by the dealer down there...I think they were good for 5 days or a week or so. I had already worked out the insurance with my agent at home before I left, so all I had to do was fax her the bill of sale with VIN and she covered me on a temp basis until I got home and went through the rest of the RIV stuff. The only thing I must stress is that the US border is VERY serious about having the paperwork faxed to them 72hrs prior to you crossing...the rest is pretty easy.

Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Importing a Vehicle