Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2014, 03:03 AM   #1

Buying new tires

Hi all!

Ok, just got my new used 1991 31 ft. Dolphin National and want to replace the back tires first. They are 235 85 16. My question is do need to have the LT 10 ply rating. I was just wondering if some good 235 85 16 radial tires without the LT 10 ply will maybe give a better ride? Also can I go step down to 225 75 16? Thinking it maybe might help with gas mileage.
Hobart Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:18 AM   #3

First, welcome Then, in response to your question, Ummm.... basically, no - at least not yet. It is unlikely the manufacturer of your coach installed tires with much more load capacity then needed.

You should really do some homework like weighing each corner of your motorhome to determine the load rating needed for the tires. Without this knowledge, you are just whistling in the dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobart Guy View Post
Hi all!

Ok, just got my new used 1991 31 ft. Dolphin National and want to replace the back tires first. They are 235 85 16. My question is do need to have the LT 10 ply rating. I was just wondering if some good 235 85 16 radial tires without the LT 10 ply will maybe give a better ride? Also can I go step down to 225 75 16? Thinking it maybe might help with gas mileage.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tire Condition & Age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
First, welcome You should really do some homework like weighing each corner of your motorhome to determine the load rating needed for the tires.
The FMCA Michelin Advantage program is an awesome resource for tire buyers.

After you hit the scales and determine your load range*, follow their instructions to register your credit card, then make an appointment with the nearest dealer.

No money changes hands the day you have your tires replaced: you simply sign for them. Then, the next morning, FMCA sends you the invoice to indicate the amount charged your card.

*The Load Range E of the OEM probably doesn't come with much margin for extra weighting, if National is like other manufacturers. I'd say that moving down in load range is not an option; if anything, you'd want to move up.

(I assume you checked the sidewall dates on all tires, that the front ones are five years old or less. There are a bazillion articles on the topic of tires here at iRV2, and we have some real experts willing to help!)
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Happy New Year!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hobartguy, please read a LOT of information on these forums to make a good decision on buying tires. I for one am convinced there are a lot of tires that give good service, are a lot cheaper moneywise than Michelin and do not have the sidewall cracking Michelin has. I would also suggest you go a step up in size for safety.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobart Guy View Post
Hi all!

Ok, just got my new used 1991 31 ft. Dolphin National and want to replace the back tires first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
First, welcome Then, in response to your question, Ummm.... basically, no - at least not yet. It is unlikely the manufacturer of your coach installed tires with much more load capacity then needed.

You should really do some homework like weighing each corner of your motorhome to determine the load rating needed for the tires. Without this knowledge, you are just whistling in the dark.
George
I doubt that the tires on a 1991 Dolphin National are the tires that the manufacturer of the coach installed.
However I agree with you about the "homework", and about "whistling in the dark".
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
The FMCA Michelin Advantage program is an awesome resource for tire buyers.

After you hit the scales and determine your load range*, follow their instructions to register your credit card, then make an appointment with the nearest dealer.

No money changes hands the day you have your tires replaced: you simply sign for them. Then, the next morning, FMCA sends you the invoice to indicate the amount charged your card.

*The Load Range E of the OEM probably doesn't come with much margin for extra weighting, if National is like other manufacturers. I'd say that moving down in load range is not an option; if anything, you'd want to move up.

(I assume you checked the sidewall dates on all tires, that the front ones are five years old or less. There are a bazillion articles on the topic of tires here at iRV2, and we have some real experts willing to help!)
RVNeophytes2
If you bought tires through that FMCA program you probably paid to much!
In 2011 I bought a set of 6 Michelin tires for $150 less than the FMCA "so called" Michelin Advantage price.

Tire Buyers Beware BE AWARE.. you can get better less expensive tires, (that won't crack in 3 1/2 years like my Michelins did)... from most any tire dealer.
Even "authorized Michelin dealers" sell other better tires than Michelins, (for less $$).
The original set of Goodyears on my coach lasted 7 years, (without one sidewall crack), the 2nd set 8.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:02 AM   #9

Buying new tires

Thanks guys, I will stick w/ mfg recommended size.
Hobart Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #10

If I could jump in here. If front and rear tires are the same age, and I couldn't afford to replace all 6. I would definately change out the steer tires first. A lot of bad things can happen in a blow out front or rear, but front has the potential to be catastrophic.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #11

With the 235 85 16 load range E you can not move up to a tire with a higher load range. However I have been running the Firestone Trans Force with no problems. They ride nice and handle great.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
With the 235 85 16 load range E you can not move up to a tire with a higher load range. However I have been running the Firestone Trans Force with no problems. They ride nice and handle great.
Yes he can. Sailun 235/85R16 load range G.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:04 AM   #13

I don't know how you found it I've been looking for a long time. Thanks for the information. I've been wanting to upgrade for a long time. Again thanks....
Old 12-31-2014, 08:29 AM   #14

Desired Blow Out, Front or Rear?

I moved to a larger 16" tire on the front and picked up a few additional pounds of carrying capacity for safety. Read the sidewall of different sized 'C' or 'D' rated 16" tires and you will be surprised at the different capacities. The distance from the rim to the tread is where you pick up the improvement. Picture a super low profile tire as compared to a regular tire. The low profile carries much less weight. You do not want a wider tire, just a taller tire.
I have a larger (somebody please help me here with what that distance from rim to tread is called) 16" on the front and carry max allowed psi, and feel much safer with that additional capacity. If I'm going to have a tire failure I do not want it on the front...
Pity those having to pay for those big 22" tires http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif
hardball28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires