Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Buying Used or New????

I keep telling myself that there is no reason to buy new. That is, unless RVs in 5 years from now have some major technical improvement.

So here is my story:

The current plan, unless destiny already has a different version of my plan, is for the DW and I to go fulltiming in 5 years.

I have recently started to do the research and prepare for fulltiming. Part of that is to learn as much as I can from the wonderful people in this amazing forum.

I'm currently planning on a DP MH, Class A, at 45'. I figure that size is just right for full timing.

I already have some idea of the manufacturer and model of RV. I also have a good idea of the amenities to go for.

Here is my wish list:

DP at 600 HP with > 1700 ft-lb of torque
Tag Axle
All electric
AquaHot/Oasis with floor heating
Bath and a half
Washer/Dryer and Dishwasher
... plus floor plan acceptable to DW

... and I plan to buy used ... the question that keeps bouncing off the inside of my skull is, why would I buy a new coach in the year 2020 when a 2015 has all the amenities that I want?

Does anyone have another point of view on why it would make sense to buy new?

I mean, if a new $450K coach can be had for less than $250K in 5 years, isn't it saving $200K worthwhile?
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
The simple answer.........Yes...
Save your money and let someone else take the hit on depreciation
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
The simple answer.........Yes...
Save your money and let someone else take the hit on depreciation
Trying to do that but the DW has a specific floor plan stuck in her head and refuses to consider another so that narrows it down considerably.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
There is no simple answer to your question.

Who knows what amentities and features will come out in the next 5 years? Who knows what engines and fuels will be available?

Most likely things will be similar but they will not be the same. The pictures and videos you see of European coaches are very compelling. American manufacturers will be making changes to adopt the best of their features.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
With the options you've already listed you have narrowed the search down considerably. I assume that the DW has decided on an existing floor plan so pretty much locks you in to a hand full of coaches.

In 5 years that coach will probably depreciate +60%. Assuming you can find one that has been well taken care of why would you buy a new coach knowing that that it will depreciate +20% the minute you drive it off the lot.

We purchased a 6 year old coach in 2008, we are very pleased with it and since I bought it as a repo is still worth +75% of what I paid for it. I wouldn't do it any other way.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #6

You might take into consideration that you won't have a factory warranty and that is very important for the beginning of that coaches life. No matter who the manufacturer is, things and possibly major things can and do go wrong. If you are particular about every aspect of your motorhome you are relying on the previous owner to be that picky for you. But with the $200k saved maybe you can afford the possible headaches.
Joe II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Buy a used high end and pay what you'd pay for a lower level new model.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote