Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
by passing isolator solenoid

My isolator solenoid has failed a second time and I'm not in a hurry to go get it fixed again.... 3s a charm I guess.... maybe towards the end of the summer I will take it in for a third repair... Its hard to find a good mechanic..
On the short weekend trips I don't care if the house batteries charge off the alternator but on the long trips it comes in handy as we run the fridge all day. I'm not shy with the genny so that helps...

Question ... Is it ok to bypass the isolator solenoid with battery cables to keep the chassis and house batteries connected while traveling so long as I take the cable off when we stop?
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I would just change the isolator myself. You already know what the problem is, that's half the challenge.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yes the solenoid is toast but I feel a replacement would not last long. I noticed that there was power going to the solenoid and it was very hot The engine was not running.

Just wondering if booster cables to bypass the solenoid would be a viable temporary solution.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:45 AM   #4

The answer to your question is yes.

The real answer though, would involve answering the question regarding why you're going through isolater relays? You mentioned the one you have is getting hot. What kind is it?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:58 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would caution you on using on using battery cables to jumper this while traveling. If one of the clamps comes off as you bounce down the road, the loose end could hit ground (and the other end is still connected to the battery bank) - Quite dangerous in my opinion. You need to figure out why the solenoid is hot - that is also battery juice being used up by a short of some kind.
I would disconnect the solenoid and run the genny more often to keep the house batteries charged.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I'm with ahicks. Can you post the specs on the relay? Did you recently upgrade batteries? How low do you allow your coach batteries to be discharged? A 2008 coach should not go thru that number of relays.

On Edit: One other thought. Are you using a continuous duty relay as opposed to a conventional starting relay?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
My isolator solenoid has failed a second time and I'm not in a hurry to go get it fixed again.... 3s a charm I guess.... maybe towards the end of the summer I will take it in for a third repair... Its hard to find a good mechanic..
On the short weekend trips I don't care if the house batteries charge off the alternator but on the long trips it comes in handy as we run the fridge all day. I'm not shy with the genny so that helps...

Question ... Is it ok to bypass the isolator solenoid with battery cables to keep the chassis and house batteries connected while traveling so long as I take the cable off when we stop?
Like others have mentioned, why bother to jumper when you can replace for under $15.00. For that price buying two would be insurance should you have another failure. Solenoid replacement is a easy task and I'll bet that you could do it in less than 15 minutes Here's some info on a potential replacement

Trombetta 974-1215-011-09 Metal DC Contactor
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Based on the danger of the cables bouncing off I will not to take that chance.... good advice.... thanks... As far as why the solenoid is hot I think the problem might stem from the battery boost switch possibly getting stuck and constantly sending the signal to the solenoid even when the engine is off. I unplugged the circuit board and this cut the power so that the solenoid could cool down. I plugged it back in and still nice and cool with no power going to solenoid which is good. The booster switch still works ( sends power when depressed) but it does not engage the solenoid to charge house batteries.
I did upgrade the house batteries after the first solenoid failure... the solenoid is a trombetta 114-1211-510-02. If they were only 15 dollars I would by 3 but I believe the cost is over $100 for 1. Waiting for confirmation from RV dealer on that. I did price one out last year at Lazy days in Florida.... some where in the 75 dollar range......
Now one thing I will be trying ( got this tip from another thread on this website) is to depress the booster switch several times in an attempt to hammer through any crusty deposits to make a better contact..... ( just in case that is the problem).
Old 06-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
That I think is the standard solenoid, same as in my coach. It should be clearlly marked continuous duty right on the label.

Many if not most modern coaches are energizing this solenoid almost all the time to keep both battery banks charged.
There is a "heavier duty" version, rated at more amps, that may help.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
In a pinch, when we were on the road going from one show to another, I would take the the battery lead loose from the one side of the isolater and move it to the other. This gives you a direct connection. You will have to take it loose at night and reattach each mourning.You can install a knife switch on the battery and open it at night and close it inthe mourning.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
In a pinch, when we were on the road going from one show to another, I would take the the battery lead loose from the one side of the isolater and move it to the other. This gives you a direct connection. You will have to take it loose at night and reattach each mourning.
Excellent idea!!!! We are going to Florida in July ( crazy I know) ... I will use the genny alot and if the house batteries show signs of being weak I will use your idea of crossing the lead over..... now why didn't I think of that?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Take a look a these continuous duty relays. The 12 volt 200 amps continuous relay should not get as hot as what your using.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Jim I don't see any continuous markings on solenoid. The solenoid is only supposed to energized from the alternator when the engine is running.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Take a look a these continuous duty relays. The 12 volt 200 amps continuous relay should not get as hot as what your using.
replacement cost is $102.00 ... There should only be power at this solenoid when the engine is running. I noticed power at the solenoid when the engine was off and it was very hot. I don't know if this caused the failure or not.