Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2007, 02:52 AM   #1

What effect will bypassing the heated water jacket under the TBI have on my 1989 454?

Intuitively, a colder intake charge should result in better performance. HST, there is a danger of poor atomization and "puddling" beneath the TBI. Is that why the water jacket is there – to aid atomization and prevent puddling under all driving conditions?

Is the heated water jacket a cold weather requirement? Or is the heat required for normal driving?

I have installed a Banks PowerPac, Gear Vendors, 180 degree thermostat and a MSD 6 ignition (10 degrees advanced). No chip as yet. Engine generally cruises with water temperature at 190 to 210 degrees, depending on outside air temperature and load (hills).

I'm always looking for improved mpg and power.

I took the hoses off because they need replacing due to old age and decrepitude, and after I got them off, the thought occurred to me that I might get a smidgeon better performance with the cooler intake air charge.

The possible downside is the aforementioned poor atomization and/or "puddling." IAE, it will be easy to replace the hoses, if I have to, if the experiment doesn't work.

I was hoping that someone on the forum had experimented with taking the heat out and could get back to me with their results.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:52 AM   #2

What effect will bypassing the heated water jacket under the TBI have on my 1989 454?

Intuitively, a colder intake charge should result in better performance. HST, there is a danger of poor atomization and "puddling" beneath the TBI. Is that why the water jacket is there – to aid atomization and prevent puddling under all driving conditions?

Is the heated water jacket a cold weather requirement? Or is the heat required for normal driving?

I have installed a Banks PowerPac, Gear Vendors, 180 degree thermostat and a MSD 6 ignition (10 degrees advanced). No chip as yet. Engine generally cruises with water temperature at 190 to 210 degrees, depending on outside air temperature and load (hills).

I'm always looking for improved mpg and power.

I took the hoses off because they need replacing due to old age and decrepitude, and after I got them off, the thought occurred to me that I might get a smidgeon better performance with the cooler intake air charge.

The possible downside is the aforementioned poor atomization and/or "puddling." IAE, it will be easy to replace the hoses, if I have to, if the experiment doesn't work.

I was hoping that someone on the forum had experimented with taking the heat out and could get back to me with their results.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have never tried that, but think it is mostly for winter operation in the northern climates to prevent throttle body iceing.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You've put a lot into that TBI engine - have you considered converting it to multiport instead? There are kits available...

Multi Port FI
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #5

Gary,

Thanks for your suggestion. Will consider it after our "Great Road Trip II."

For now, I'm going to go with what I've got.

I am, however, going to put a shut off valve in the hot water return line and try it both ways -- hot and cold. Will inform forum of the results.

FRank