Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #1

Cab over repair advice needed

I'm rebuilding the cab over area on my 04 Minnie Winnie Class C. Still in the slow process of taking it apart and getting the sleeper board out. But I have a couple questions already

I have some delam on the sides

https://www.flickr.com/gp/15879404@N02/T700g0
https://www.flickr.com/gp/15879404@N02/37k2Sy

The filon goes up under the front cap and one piece fiberglass roof so I can't remove the piece all together. Should I try and get a much wood out as I can ? or flood with epoxy and clamp ? one side is still pretty well attached except for a 6"x8" area, the other side is loose back to the cap. What is the thickness of the luan ? 1/8" or is it less ?

Also what is under the metal trim for sealant ? it was white and very tacky still, had to use a heat gun to get it loose. Didn't seem like putty tape, was it 3M 5200 or similar ?

Thanks everyone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #2

I got the sleeper/bunk board out today, 60% of it is still solid and I can't get the filon off, it is on there tight !

Suggestions ?
Old 08-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would cut the entire side off the cab over even with the side just behind the door. In other words cut the loop section off the P shape (P shaped if viewed from the left side) and replace with a new section of filon. But it up against the existing filon wall and install a channel or weatherstrip to cover the joint. Not sure if Im explaining it right. In other words cut the cab over portion of the sidewall off even with the front of the main box portion of the motorhome and replace. The wood seems completely rotted and I wouldn't risk further decay and mold. Had this happen on my gulf stream super c. I opted to get rid of it.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #4

To cut off the loop in the P, I think I would need to

Remove front cap
Remove gutter all the way down the sides (and awnings)
Loosen the fiberglass roof (if this is even possible)

Which is more than I can practically do, especially working outside.

Weather is supposed to be better tomorrow, hope to get out and do some more investigating. The inside walls are all inside the entertainment center cabinets, so I might be able to work from the inside out.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #5

To get the filon off the sleeper board I tried a bunch of things but this worked best. I believe it came from the flooring area at lowes. It has removeable razor blades (3.5" wide)

Then to get the rest of the luan off the filon, I again tried most sharp tools I own, but this worked best by far, I hit the edge with a diamond hone from time to time.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #6

Japple,

We are in the process of restoring a 1995 Jamboree Searcher and we are running into some of the same issues as you. We haven't determined at this point how much of the bunk area will have to be removed nor do we know how much of the ceiling in the main living area has to come out. You will find that people on this forum have tons of experience and lots of great advice! Please update as you go.
drinms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, repair