Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2002, 05:43 AM   #1

I am the proud owner of a new 2003 Dolphin LX and I love my coach. BUT I there are two annoying things about my new coach that are starting to bug me. I hope someone out there has solved these problems already.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Drawer problem - The top drawers under the closet keep falling out! That is due to the over hang of the closet, you have to pull these two drawers out till the slide stops hit. In this position, the slightless downward pressur will pop the drawers off the slides. Bang there they are on the floor. Any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

<LI>Which speakers are which? Our new coach came with XM radio, 27" TV, DVD player with theather surround sound and a VHS player. Several things about this setup I haven't been able to figure out.

A- The manuals tell me I should be able to get regular TV sound from the surround sound speakers if I tune the radio to 89 point something. NO such luck on my unit. The surround sound only works when playing DVD's. Is this normal? or is there something I am missing?

B- there is one speaker in the back over the dinning table, that never seems to have any sound coming out of it. Is there a way to test these speakers?

C- there is a "RF Modulator" above the DVD player in the entertainment panel. That came on once or twice but hasn't for some time now. I can not find any reference in my manuals as to what this unit is for. Any one figured that one out?

So as it stand now, When watching TV the only speakers working are those on the TV, when watching a DVD, we get great sound from the theather unit (except that one back speaker) When watching a VHS, the only speakers working are those on the TV. The XM radio seems to use a completely different set of speakers (Black ones in the ceiling) from the Entertainment center ones.[/list]
Any suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated. BTW the house is sold, and we hit the road this coming December.

Let the great adventure begin!

Art and Carol Haenig
2003 Dolphin LX
2000 Honda Accord

[This message was edited by Art H. on October 15, 2002 at 10:57 AM.]

Art & Carol Haenig
phishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2002, 05:43 AM   #2

I am the proud owner of a new 2003 Dolphin LX and I love my coach. BUT I there are two annoying things about my new coach that are starting to bug me. I hope someone out there has solved these problems already.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Drawer problem - The top drawers under the closet keep falling out! That is due to the over hang of the closet, you have to pull these two drawers out till the slide stops hit. In this position, the slightless downward pressur will pop the drawers off the slides. Bang there they are on the floor. Any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

<LI>Which speakers are which? Our new coach came with XM radio, 27" TV, DVD player with theather surround sound and a VHS player. Several things about this setup I haven't been able to figure out.

A- The manuals tell me I should be able to get regular TV sound from the surround sound speakers if I tune the radio to 89 point something. NO such luck on my unit. The surround sound only works when playing DVD's. Is this normal? or is there something I am missing?

B- there is one speaker in the back over the dinning table, that never seems to have any sound coming out of it. Is there a way to test these speakers?

C- there is a "RF Modulator" above the DVD player in the entertainment panel. That came on once or twice but hasn't for some time now. I can not find any reference in my manuals as to what this unit is for. Any one figured that one out?

So as it stand now, When watching TV the only speakers working are those on the TV, when watching a DVD, we get great sound from the theather unit (except that one back speaker) When watching a VHS, the only speakers working are those on the TV. The XM radio seems to use a completely different set of speakers (Black ones in the ceiling) from the Entertainment center ones.[/list]
Any suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated. BTW the house is sold, and we hit the road this coming December.

Let the great adventure begin!

Art and Carol Haenig
2003 Dolphin LX
2000 Honda Accord

[This message was edited by Art H. on October 15, 2002 at 10:57 AM.]

Art & Carol Haenig
Old 10-15-2002, 03:06 PM   #3

Art,
I do a lot of cabinet making and use lots of drawer slides. I think what might be happening is the part of the slide in tha cabinet itself may have too much latteral space. Most side mounted slides need only 1/2" clearence per side.Check the spacing and let me know.
Trapshooter want-ta-be Class A owner
Old 10-15-2002, 08:15 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Art, it sounds like you probably have two problems, have you e-mailed National or called them at 800/322-6007.

One thing for sure, you need the modulator to play through the sound system.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 05:45 AM   #5

Trap Shooter: These drawers have a single slide on the bottom of the drawer. I was thinking that maybe the drawers were too short for the slides, so that the tougn on the bottom of the drawer did not fully seat into the travler in slide. I am going to try jury rig a new stop at the back of the slide, so the travler will stop sooner thereby letting me push the drawer toughn deeper into the travler portion.

Surrond Sound

Fred & Bonnie: No I haven't called them yet, I am not sure how it is suppose to work, so I am unable to tell them what isn't working. This RF Modulator I would guess has to do with the stated ability to listen to the TV using the Radio's speakers. But I can not find an on/off switch for it so don't know how it is suppose to be turned on.

Art & Carol

Art & Carol Haenig
Old 10-16-2002, 03:06 PM   #6

I too have a 2003 Dolphin LX and I have studied the manuals to try and figure the systems out as well. I echo you're confusion.

I have figured out that the theater surround sound will only work with the TV when the VCR is "on" and the stereo system (not the in-dash radio)is in the VCR source mode. At that time the red light on the modulator should be on. The surround volume is also dependant upon the TV volume setting so, if you turn up the volume of the TV mid-way, then try turning up the receiver's volume, you should get surround sound from the gray speakers along with sound from the TV.

Funny thing - I also have one speaker in the rear not working! I assumed that I had pulled the wire out of the connection as I was installing the in-motion satellite. After taking it apart and feeling around back there, I am afraid to pull the stereo out of the rack to see the rear because the wires are soo numerous and tightly routed - I'm afraid more wires will come loose and I may create a real mess. If you read up on the home theater system, there is a speaker setup that you can do to insure that all the speakers work and you can individually set the volumes relative to the others.

As for the in-dash stereo, I have not been able to get the radio to play TV sound as the manual states. I assume the manual is out of date with the newer electronic set-up and the modulator is now only pluged into the home theater system as I have described above.

I agree the whole system is confusing. Now try to figure out which of the 5 or 6 remotes to use as they are lying around the coach.

I do have one matter that I have not looked into yet, but I have a problem getting the pump inlet to siphon as the proceedure describes. To get the unit to prime and siphon required that I leave the pump source set in-between the two settings. (sorry don't recall what they said) When I did this, it slowly began to draw fluid. The manuals did not describe this proceedure to pump in fluid from a container or antifreeze. Not sure if this is normal or something I am doing wrong.

I intend to explore that when I have it in for it's debug checkup this winter.

All this being said - I couldn't be happier with the Dolphin. I have the 6355 model. Only other complaint - which was of my choosing - the enclosed toilet is a little bit too small of an area for me , and perhaps I would have liked the combined toilet - shower layout which is offered in one of the other floorplans.
O

[This message was edited by Dale Smith on October 16, 2002 at 08:17 PM.]

Towing 2003 Explorer
Dale Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 07:22 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Art, I understand your frustration, our 2001 Dolphin, owners manual is totally inadequate in some areas, while in other areas it's wonderful.

Keep in mind that if you are a Dish Net customer, the only way to get stereo sound is from the RCA jack plugs on thereceiver, the coaxial connection is mono.

Our unit didn't come with an advanced sound system, however the addition of small modulators worked out great. Additionally if you hook in an "A/B" switch you can use an external dish to pick-up both Dish Net "birds".

Fred
Old 10-17-2002, 05:54 AM   #8

I will try out the vcr method tonight when I get home. You might well be right about it as we don't really own any VHS tapes. Our entire movie collection is on DVD. Does the VCR have a tuner in it so we can select the channel we want to appear on the TV?

As for the speaker not working, a friend thought that since we have 6 individual speakers plus the bass, we have the 6.1 double (sp?) surround sound set up. And since there is very little material in this format, that is why the 6th speaker is silent. I will try the speaker tests this weekend.

We have 6 remotes too,
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>a credit card size one for the bed side stero (I don't know when I would ever use that one since the only time I have it on is when I am in bed)<LI>a credit card size one for the dash XM radio<LI>one each for the TV, VCR and DVD player. Which incdently are all identical except for color. We put two away and only use one of them. Also noted that they don't work well for the VCR and DVD player when the glass door is closed. Must have something to do with the smoked glass.<LI> small remote for the bedroom TV[/list]
We too have the 6355 floor plan and being a BIG guy, I share your feelings about the commode area. I am not sure it would have been any different though for me with any other floor plan. It is amazing how many coachs are made with an enclosed commode area that is just too small for any one over 125 lbs or 6ft.

All things considered - it is a GREAT coach!

Let the Great adventure begin!
Art & Carol Haenig
2003 Dolphin LX
2000 Honda Accord

[This message was edited by Art H. on October 17, 2002 at 11:04 AM.]

Art & Carol Haenig
Old 09-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #9

I just purchased a 2003 Dolphin LX and I have the same problem with the sound system. Did you finally figure out the surround sound and if so - please please let me know. It looks like a nice system but its very complicated and hard to get to the back. I'm sure there is a fix for this.

Thanks for anything you can provide
Old 09-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am fairly sure Art had the system operation correct as follows:

Never found this to work, I believe this was error in the owners manual that went on for several model years

This is one of the surround sound speakers and the wiring is probably bad

The RF modulator is needed for the surround sound system, the power indictor should come on when the DVD player is turned on, needs to be on for the system to function.

So as it stand now, When watching TV the only speakers working are those on the TVNormal function, when watching a DVD, we get great sound from the theather unit (except that one back speaker)Normal, except for the failed speaker When watching a VHS, the only speakers working are those on the TV.Normal function The XM radio seems to use a completely different set of speakers (Black ones in the ceiling)Normal function from the Entertainment center ones.

For what it's worth, the only way I found to get the TV or VCR to play in decent stereo was to use small FM modulators playing through the radio.

This may not answer all of your questions, email me if you need additional info.

Fred
Old 09-03-2006, 03:57 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never had a problem with a drawer. It seems everyone has problems with the surround sound. I finally got my surround to work with DirecTv, but I don't remember how I did it. I believe I ran patch cords through the stereo/dvd. All of my speakers have worked since day one.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:27 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most of what Fred said is correct. I installed a 5.1 surround sys in myself. The RF -MOD will switch on when you play DVD thru system some of you may have a AUX mod mounted under dash to cut your stereo TV thru stereo sys or radio stereo system thru station on radio. A DISK PLAYER may be thru this same AUX-MOD. I can get access thru a panel on top of dash.
Your DVD player stereo amp may have a test button or thru menue a test signal to test all spk's. The signal will allow you to adjust volume front and rear spk and sub woofer and balance of sys. If your not getting spk to work wiggle wire into clip rear of spk it may just be dirty connection or has insullation under wire clip. If not same condition in back of amp is possible or unplugged.
You will have to read how your Aux sys works and what it can do because sys differ. Hope this helps if not ask away.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:41 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

We too have the drawer problem in our 2002 Dolphin LX 6356 (galley slide). My wife is always dropping a drawer onto the floor. It would be a pain to replace the single center slide with full extension side slides, so I was going to install a stop on the back of the drawer . That can be done by simply driving a fairly long screw through one drawer side at the very back, so that the screw protrudes through the side enough to catch the drawer face frame when near full extension. If you ever need to remove the drawer, just back the screw out until it clears.

On our 2002 LX, there is a dashboard rocker switch labeled STEREO/TV. It has to be in the TV position for the TV to play through the radio and into the surround sound system. It works on mine, though we seldom use it. Do not need to have the VCR or anything else on.

We also have one surround speaker that never seems to get any output, the rearmost one. Since many people seem to have this problem, I wonder if NRV has some defective wiring harnesses or maybe defective crossover network in the sound system. The surround system in ours is mediocre anyway, so we didn't worry about it. Front speakers play well, though.

Ours does not have a visible RF Modulator in the stereo cabinet. We have JVC tvs in ours - maybe they have external speaker jacks and don't need a modulator.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote