Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2016, 06:14 PM   #1

Camera cable

I have 2002 Minnie Winnie. The camera is shot and it is also analog. I got a camera and monitor for hard wiring intentionally. My question is has anyone ever pulled new cable thru roof attached to old cable with any success? I like the angle of the old camera but that is not etched in stone. I am open to ideas, just not wireless. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
On my Class B, the previous owner ran the cable under the coach along the frame but that did not last as it was close to the exhaust.

I ran a replacement cable through the back floor into one of the cabinets and then snaked it under the frig, stove and couch. When I got to the front seats, I ran it under the carpet edge up to the dash.

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I ran a new cable down the passenger side frame rail, protected by cable shield as much as possible and up into the dash area through the steering column boot. My new cable is nowhere near any exhaust components. Check my pictures on this forum for additional information.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Where are the pictures of your camera cable routing.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just got through replacing my entire camera cable and monitor system. Went for a test drive and found out the picture on the monitor needs to be reversed as in a mirror . There is a switch for this in a small box that the wires from the monitor go to and the camera wires go to but I'm very very happy with the picture.
I ran my video cable down along the frame. Drilled a small hole in the firewall to bring the cable in.I used quite a few cable ties.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daledrob View Post
Where are the pictures of your camera cable routing.
Go to the top of the page, click on photos, then members galleries, then at the bottom click of "f" and find my pictures. I did not post any shots of wiring along the frame rail, that should be self explanatory.

I ran the cable down the backside from the camera position inside the rear cap, then to the frame rail area on the passenger side, zip tying it as much as possible to eliminate vibration and rubbing and shielding it wherever I could get the split plastic cover over the cable.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:36 AM   #7

I can come to the front underneath but I wonder if there is away following old cable run. Bedroom vent(another project converting to fan) to bathroom vent to ac vent etc. I have a row of ac vents down center of mh as well. Anyone ever investigated space around them? Thanks
Old 06-05-2016, 07:04 AM   #8

When the camera quit on my last coach, I was able to use the original wiring over again by cutting the original connectors off and soldering new ones in place. I think there were only 4 wires inside the cable, so soldering new connections WAY easier than running new wire.

Pulling a new wire through the ceiling would be nearly impossible in my experience.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"sixkilo".....I think you'll find pulling the old cable is impossible. Usually, it's stapled down a several spots or pinched in turns.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:33 AM   #10

Thanks everyone. I ran the new cable (not as substainial as original) under rear cap edge, plastic trim cover, living room awning, then into sidewall. The only exposed part is under awning which i will address. I used old cable as power source for camera as getting to hot was proving to be daunting as well. Yes, the ceiling option was a no go. An all day event, but that seem to be de'rigueur these days.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey fleet man I just got through looking at your pictures and you did a fantastic job. When I routed my cable I dropped it right down the back To the radiator area and then forward along the frame right hand rail. I didn't bring it up until I got to the firewall and then brought the line up and drilled a small hole in the firewall. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to post a few pictures to show you how I did mine. But yours looks great thanks for The invite to view your pictures.
I noticed that you have the same exact unit that I do. So I have a question for you did you happen to find any small cameras for the side of the motorhome to hook to the blinker system. The only ones that I saw with the five pin where the large ones. Oh well I will keep looking I thought $100 per camera for the sides with the little steep.

Tags
camera