Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 01:59 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah I'm confused also, even if they didn't have Hot water, you had full hookup correct. Just use your own and heat the water yourself, these things are Self-contained or they would not count as a Second Home.
It could have been worse, you could have been in a Walliworld parking lot with out full hookups.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #16

WELL what I do is my logic but for those who do not judge without all the facts.

what I said was I wanted a LONG HOT shower for sore muscles and if I do that my wife is not happy when she can not take a shower for a period of time

I was just unhappy that a koa could not tell you before you pay or check in that OH yes we do not have hot water and our wifi stinks and no we will not make any dollar adjustments.

I much prefer a COE park but not available on large interstates.

Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:38 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
FHU and Aqua Hot=long hot showers. Wifi sucks at every campground. It's not the connection, it's the volume of users.

Sorry they didn't kiss your butt exactly how you like.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #18

Now that we know the facts, it makes a whole different scenario. When you said KOA I could understand your frustration. If you are not getting the full service you are paying for then you should get some kind of compensation, and hot water is one of the things you are paying for, just like the swimming pool, whether you use it or not. I stopped at KOA at Austin MN and didn't use anything except a small piece of ground. We pulled in at 12:30am and were ready to pull out at 8:00am. We waited for the office to open to pay for the night. The manager chewed us out for not parking in the right spot, charged us an extra fee, and was annoyed that we were keeping her from walking her dogs. There had been no one available to show us where to park, we didn't harm any lawn or drive, and were only there seven and a half hours. And then they want to say their fees are fair and reasonable. I won't be back to that KOA. I understand your frustration.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #19

Oh my. I cannot let that one go by. Wife and I stay primarily at KOA across the country. Rarely anything else except outside Denver where there is no close KOA. They're always clean, have acceptable WiFi, managed well and usually quiet. Electric has always been spec and I check that first. You can rely on KOA to have a good camping experience whether it's overnite or months. They are worth the xtra funds because you can rely on the park utilities and service.

Bypassing the check-in procedure would irritate me if I were the owner. If it was my park you violated I'd have greeted you with the sheriff and had you removed at 2:00am.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
still don't understand why the shower inside the RV couldn't take place but I totally agree with the OP about no disclosure that the park's hot water was out. the CG staff may have ASSumed that because the OP had a MH that he wouldn't need the park's hot water but that was a mistake on their park. we pulled into a park near Carlsbad, NM one night and it was after checking in...and paying...that I leaned the NM Dept of Public Health had totally shut down the CG water system due to a massive e-coli infection.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
KOA is a last resort for us. Some are good, some are bad, all are over priced.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #22
HGC

campground issues

I really disagree. When you are a campground charging money you are a business for profit not a 501 3c. And there is a word that comes to mind. That is HOSPITALITY! We have gotten in to many campgrounds late and have not received any hostility. And yes we use KOA a lot. Camping is largely an experience and if it is bad, word gets around, as you can tell. There are rewards for great service and caring personnel.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #23

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I didn't spend this much money to drive somewhere and use a campground shower and toilet
Same here!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
Bypassing the check-in procedure would irritate me if I were the owner. If it was my park you violated I'd have greeted you with the sheriff and had you removed at 2:00am.
WOW, i can't imagine this ever happening to us. I wouldn't think twice upon moving on into a spot that late or early in the morning. Well, unless there was a person on duty or if there was a sign telling me to wake someone up to check in.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post

This pratice happens many times a night all across the country.

Can't believe you've never experienced it.

I think if you made it a practice to greet these customers at 2:30 in the morning with the sheriff, eventually, you wouldn't have to worry about greeting any customers at all.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:34 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm no fan of KOA either. Stayed at them all over the US. Some are dirty and poorly managed, others are so far overpriced that we just went on down the road. Can't say that I've ever stayed in one that was not over priced. Yes, I know that corp has tried to turn them all into "destination" resorts, but that doesn't make the simple maintenance unimportant. I have found that I'd rather stay in a local park because they are in better condition, folks are more friendly and they charge the "local rate".
Old 10-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #27

That's a big reason we like the KOA...they typically don't allow late nite entries. We got there to relax...not to listen to unsupervised kids, noisy pets and diesels driving around and setting-up in the dead of nite.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

sdennislee: we must be taking other routes. We have a 7300 mile loop we do every year. We get greatly reduced prices being KOA members gathering points and staying longer periods at half price. A lot depends on our relationship with the owner. We get 10% off for overnites and our yearly membership is free because we use them so much. With all the points garnered that reduces costs. O)nly once a year do we stay in a state park in Littleton, CO. Big park, very expensive and poorly run. It's a huge day care center with the worst WiFi capture of ANY place we stay in.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:05 AM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a place to put on the "Probably won't stay there again" list.

We almost never do any planning on where we decide to spend the night while traveling. When we decide to stop, the DW breaks out the Good Sams and Passport books and starts making calls. If we are running late, I don't think I've ever pulled into a location that didn't have some type of "Late Arrivals" procedure posted conspicuously.

About the only thing that we absolutly have to have if we are just passing though is a 30 amp electrical connection.

We rarely (never) use the shower in the MH. If the shower in the overnight campground looks reasonable, we use it, If not, maybe shower tomorrow night. My standards are somewhat lower than the DWs regarding campground shower facility standards. She says a garden hose and bucket would be OK with me.

As for wifi, we rarely use the campground wifi because its usually god awful slow, AND, I'm a internet security freak. We either tether on our cell phones or use our Karma Go. *( subscription based wifi hot spot).

We keep a list of places we've stopped, and re-visit the good ones, And generally drive past the not so good ones.

Tags
campground