Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2016, 04:02 AM   #1

Camping Without Water

Since we just bought our RV in December, I am more than anxious to get it out and have some fun. I starting thinking that we could head out in April without water in the RV to some local parks. If we could camp in a tent without water why not an RV?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? It would certainly be nice to be able to use the toilet at night if there is a way to do this while it is still winterized.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

LisaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 04:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaE View Post
Since we just bought our RV in December, I am more than anxious to get it out and have some fun. I starting thinking that we could head out in April without water in the RV to some local parks. If we could camp in a tent without water why not an RV?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? It would certainly be nice to be able to use the toilet at night if there is a way to do this while it is still winterized.

We don't know where you live, are any campgrounds open in April?

Old 01-28-2016, 04:44 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Re-winterizing the waste system is pretty simple. Dump the tanks and pour a cup of so of RV antifreeze down the drains to fill the sink traps and a bit in the toilet to keep the seal lubed. Everything else is just as if you were tent camping. Keep a bucket of water in the bath area to prefill and clean the bowl after use is about all you need.

If possible avoid anything solid or paper in the black tank if your coach does not have a tank flusher. Solid items have a way of staying in the tank when you dump when water use is limited or restricted.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:48 AM   #4

By mid April, I've already put water in the tank. Never had a problem. Even if it happens to get down to the high twenties for a short time at night, I've never frozen anything.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaE View Post

We live in Michigan and would start the camping season around April 15. Never had any issues. If it got really cold after you opened up you could always "camp" again and turn on the heat. It takes a lot of energy to freeze the lines so a couple of cold nights will not hurt.

Anyway, winterizing is only 8 bucks worth of rv anti freeze and a little time if it gets really cold.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
We don't know where you live, are any campgrounds open in April?
We live in Kentucky and it appears at least one nearby park opens in April and the Horse Park is open all year long.

I guess I was going on the rule of planting which is Mother's Day around here so as not to get a freeze.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You'd need a pretty hard freeze to damage the plumbing system in an RV. We've camped out in our fifth wheel down to 15 degrees. The water supply hose to the RV froze up, but nothing inside did. Once I opened the faucet, it only took a couple minutes get water flowing so I guess it didn't freeze solid.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:12 AM   #8

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. Apparently we can do this so I made a reservation for the first day the nearest park is open. Can't wait!
Old 01-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #9

Fill your fresh water tank and go camping.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, water