Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #1

Camping World

Has anyone here purchased an RV from Camping World? I just experienced a nightmare with them & I'm left with nothing but a negatively changed credit report due to their errors in processing my loan application. I wonder if it's typical and if I should avoid dealing with them in the future. They're so big, it's hard to avoid them when shopping for an RV. They also screwed up a simple microwave purchase (totally different store, different state).

Eldora is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
laj

I won't even set foot on any of cw property. my opinion is over priced scam artist.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
There is a big discussion about CW here advice on camping world

We bought our first MH from a CW. Not a bad experience, not great. Did not finance it though. I think that kind of teed them off. When we went looking for our next MH we got a bad feeling when they offered us an insulting amount for our trade in. Haven't been back since.

Keep in mind all CWs are not the same though. Some people have had good luck with them.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #4

My feelings CW is so big they could careless if you go back so long as they get the sale.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Search for CW / Camping World on here.
There are many "comments" about CW.
Many like you have just seen, will
never deal with them again, myself included.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a good experience buying from CW at St Augustine.

I have visited several others with mixed results. I would go back to the Asheville store. I was disappointed with Spartanburg and Columbia SC. Both in Atlanta area very small. Charleston was OK.

It depends somewhat on what you want or need.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can't see myself ever buying an RV from them. In full disclosure I never have, so I have no first hand experience, but I find dealers in general distasteful, and I blanche at the notion of a franchised dealer!

In general, their prices are high. I'll drop in to a CW sale to pick up some RV specific thing that I might need fairly quickly, if I can't find a similar item at Lowes, HD, or WM. Apart from that you can almost always find your RV stuff cheaper elsewhere, particularly online. I think Amazon has at least one of everything in the world.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
There is a big discussion about CW here advice on camping world

We bought our first MH from a CW. Not a bad experience, not great. Did not finance it though. I think that kind of teed them off. When we went looking for our next MH we got a bad feeling when they offered us an insulting amount for our trade in. Haven't been back since.

Keep in mind all CWs are not the same though. Some people have had good luck with them.
Insultingly low trade in offers are something almost all dealers have in common. We shopped around to several dealers before buying our latest motorhome. As luck would have it the last dealer we talked to gave us the best price. It seems he had someone looking for what we were trading in. I don't think it sat on their lot more than 2 weeks before a new owner drove it home. When they don't have to hold on to it for several months they can afford to pay a little more for inventory.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #9

I bought our MH from CW. I did my homework and got the MH at the price we wanted... no haggling at all. Good experience, even when our PDI was not so good, we refused to take the MH... they fixed our punch list and a week later, took delivery of our coach. Again, No drama.

If a buyer is well educated and have done their research then you have a better shot of getting a good experience, if not move on. This is with all dealers, not just CW.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
KJD

Couple of weeks ago the wife & I went to Camping World just to look around at there New & Old inventory of Motor Homes & 5th Wheels.. What really surprised the both of us was the number or Coaches & 5th Wheels that had damage to them on the inside. I can understand having some damage to the used ones just from being used. But what really shocked us was the amount of damage to the inside of the brand new ones.. One would think that the salesmens would want the new ones that had damage to get it repaired ASAP.......KJD
Old 10-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We just got a call from Thom's mom and dad a couple of days ago. They called to let US know that WE just bought them a 2006 35ft Montana Keystone ........ from Camping World ...... They have now transferred everything over from the old 20ft TT to this one and been in it for a few days. They seem to like it. Would we really have bought from CW? He** No!! But for now they seem happy with it.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD View Post
Couple of weeks ago the wife & I went to Camping World just to look around at there New & Old inventory of Motor Homes & 5th Wheels.. What really surprised the both of us was the number or Coaches & 5th Wheels that had damage to them on the inside. I can understand having some damage to the used ones just from being used. But what really shocked us was the amount of damage to the inside of the brand new ones.. One would think that the salesmens would want the new ones that had damage to get it repaired ASAP.......KJD
You see that a lot. They don't do the repairs until someone wants to make a deal, then they detail it to look mint. Lots of the new models on the lot have been at shows so they get a lot of action inside. Seems counterintuitive that they allow damage to be visible when they're trying to sell something.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #13

So what Camping World failed to get done in 3 weeks, Lazy Days succeeded in doing in 3 days, but without a hassle. I should have my new coach by mid November. Same model, better floorplan, same price.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
KIX

Three friends each bought a motorhome from CW within a couple of weeks. None of them were pleased. One of the three took his coach back for some reefer problem. The tech set the outside access door under the coach. He forgot to re-install it and ran over it with the coach. My friend was accepting the problem gracefully for awhile but it took three months to get the door replaced and written complaints. NOne of the three will go back.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote