Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
After all of the horror stories from the folks on IRV2 and from the people that store with me, I would never trust my Discovery to anyone at Camping World!
I did have a great experience with General RV right here in Huntley and I have noticed that unlike CW they don't have 100 coaches sitting outside their service dept.
The General RV by me is building another service dept. as they got swamped with unhappy people they received from CW!
I talked to the manager and they feel they are the CW crusher and they said they are going to show the RV industry how it is supposed to work!
I know that General RV is huge in the Midwest but I am not sure about the rest of the country.
I know this......I will always stay clear of CW!
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 07:12 AM   #16

I have used CW a number of times with both good and poor experiences. My primary objection to their shop practices is the work scheduling, as alluded to above. three to six weeks for routine repairs.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #17

Call SMI CONTACT US | SMI Manufacturing Inc. and tell them the problems you are having with CW installing the Air Force One. Ask them if CW has in fact ordered the replacement unit. Ask them to recommend an installer in your area. Even if you have to drive a 100 miles or more to get it done right it will be worth it.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm another that has had "great" service from CW. Not many times in for service but the times I have gone in I have had good luck I guess. I ordered 2 awnings for my old gal and they came in and CW started to install, they got to the second window and guess what " I " order the wrong size excuse me yes it does happen... Any way the tech ordered the correct one and had it shipped out the next week and installed it No extra charge, they even took back the one " I " ordered wrong.
CW in Rogers Minn. I would recommend them. Nice store also.
JMO, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:53 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I am one of the people that will write about a good experience with a company, i have done it many times over the years.
I owned a home maintenance business in the DFW area for 20 years and know just how much a good and bad PR can do for business. Many times i had a customer call me or leave message about one of my people tracking mud on there carpet,did not do a very good job,etc.But one thing i would do is make that phone call to a very unhappy person and rearrange my schedule and take care of the problem,most of the time i would retain them as a customer. If you are in business long enough you will have someone that you can not make happy and they will never use you again,it just happens. I had one lady that was that way i even gave her money back after redoing the work she told me she would never use us again, but one thing she did NOT do was bad mouth my company to the whole world, i continued to do work with a number of people in her neighborhood.

The bottom line i will see how the general manager handles this problem after our meeting today. I will let you know how this plays out. We have about another 10 to 15 thousand dollars to spend on our coach before we leave in July to become full timers. I had a friend tell me about the c/w in Little rock Ar that he was very happy with,so i am not blasting c/w as a whole. They are 3 hours away though. Todays meeting will tell me were my money will be spent.
This is our first m/h so i have a lot to learn,a lot of the maintenance i will do my self more as i learn. We plan on going all over this country so keeping the m/h in top shape is a high on the list.(kids and grand kids all over the place) I do plan on having problems with the m/h ,but a lot can be prevented with good preventive maintenance. I will have to find shops while on the road that is why i value everyones opinion on this forum.
Thank you for putting up with my rambling on and for your feed back.I will keep you posted.
Thanks again. Tim (aka tagcat)
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tim, I would stay away from CW down here in NLR, AR for any service work. they do not return your calls; just went to lunch if you decide to stop by; managers are always in meetings [if you call or stop by]; forget to order the parts; and so on AND on AND on AND on...

FYI......There are 2 other RV dealers down here in the Little Rock/North Little Rock [Crain RV & River City RV [River City Recreation Center] that have a worse rep/name then CW.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Over a period of about nine years, I've had good experiences at Camping World stores in Denton, Ft. Worth and Katy, TX.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, I have had bad and good experiences at CW. The bad experience was at CW in Woodstock, Ga and I wouldn't recommend that place to my worst enemy. I bought my coach from them and they couldn't even remember to re-install 4 screws in the bed platform and made an electrical splice using wire nuts in mid air without installing a splice box. I will not go into all the problems.

The best CW I have been to is the one in Robertsdale, AL and I highly recommend this place and their service team Under Charles Wilson is great. In fact their entire Service Team is great. They went the extra mile to make me happy and their techs take pride in their work.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:53 PM   #23

We have used the CW in Wood Village Oregon (portland metro) twice and have been pleased so far. Once for a satellite install (done in just a few hours) and once for a towing system (done in a day and a half). In both cases we got appointments fairly quickly. It sounds like we are one of the lucky ones and have a decent CW near us. There are two other CW locations outside of Portland but I can't give an opinion on them; we have only used the Wood Village location.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:32 AM   #24

Went into my local CW and a customer was ripping the service department a new one screaming ( you want me to pay for something you we're suppose to all ready fix).
Old 05-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
IMO the biggest problem with CW is their corporate mentality. Almost every national chain has a quality control area that makes sure the company's products, service etc. is done in a standard way. (The big fast food chains do this). Corporate CW does not do this, or if they do, they are not effective in doing it. They receive enough customer complaints a year to have to know they have problems.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
This not looking good.I had a meeting with the general manager,service manager,and parts manager.Bottom line all three did not know what was going on in the other dept.They were going to call yesterday,no call i will wait the rest of today for all call,if no call i will go out there and get general office involved.I want my money back.This was a major issue and i am being ignored.
My problem i have a coach with no air force one.We leave on July 1st for a 9 month trip going to Bath Maine i guess i can get the work done along the way.I wish there was a place i could trust spending this kind of money that was with in 3 hr of Fayetteville Ar. I really hope we have not made a bad choice going full time in an m/h we sold every thing to make this life style change and see our kids.
Thank for all your advice. Tim
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Like a previous poster suggested, I would contact the AirForce people and get them involved. Hopefully they will have some clout with Camping World. At the very least, they should be able to help direct you to someone who has installed their products without complaint.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #28

Tim, please don't think you made a poor choice going full time because of a bad experience with a CW. I assume you are a home owner and over the years had to have home repairs that did not go well due to a crappy contractor or maintenance person. That wouldn't discourage you from being a home owner would it? Try to keep that perspective here and please try not to let this experience immediately discourage you from being a full timer. :-)
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping