Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Camping World?????

We have had our 2004 Monaco diplomat for about 4 months now.We are getting ready to go full time,so i have been doing ever thing i can do my self to get the M/H ready for the road.Taken several small trips to get things worked out.There are things in need done i can not do my self,radiator flush,install wine guard sat,install air force one,set toad up,etc.
This is the problem we live in Fayetteville Ar camping world is 30 min away and it made sense to have a place that could do much of the work.You have to watch them on price quote,etc.Was happy tell last install of air force one braking system.
Took it in for air force one install,not a cheap system.They put it in we took one trip with toad things worked fine, felt a little drag at end of trip did not think much about it. The other day in went under the M/H just to look around saw that the control unit had come loose(this is were all the air line tie in and go to toad) It had hit the drive shaft broken the diagram on the unit that was why i felt the drag,loosing air to toad. Got to checkin at the way it was installed.They had put it to low to begin with, used small lag bolts with flat washers Not the bolts unit came with.I was lucky we were not on a major trip and the unit keep hitting the drive shaft all those plastic air line could have wrapped around the drive shaft could have been a major problem or disaster .
Called camping world had shop manager and the guy that installed to come to my house to see the problem.The manager said he was sorry and the guy from shop said he had installed many this way with no problem.(lag bolts and flat washers) They removed the unit on wed said they would get a new one asap and let me know when they could reinstall.I plugged airline so i could drive it there.Told them i want it installed using bolts all the way through frame with lock washers and loc tight.
Is this common with camping world,i call they will not return my calls,so i am going out there and getting the manger to find out what is going on.
I was told there is a camping world in little rock with much better service then this one,its 3 Hr away but do not have much choice.I am going to let them fix this problem then look for some place to get M/H ready.I still have some $$$ to spend on unit i hate being hoodwinked.
I am sorry about rambling on but this was not like a tail light lens fell off
this is a major thing.
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #2

Well, the good news is that they are Camping Worlds and not just Joe's Garage. If they don't take care of it I'd start at the top: Camping World Corporate Office Headquarters
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had bad experiences with my local Camping world and had to get the Rapid Response team involved on one occasion. Both times was shoddy workmanship.

They do have the $39 install almost everything which is a good deal but I don't know if I would use them again or not.

I think that they under pay their technicians and therefore don't get the best. Every location may be different. Any good one seem to leave for other dealerships.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We will try our best to not have to deal with CW service dept. They quit taking our calls after having our fifth wheel in there for warranty work. I started going in (40 miles) after work to try to get them moving. They finally just gave me the phone# for the factory and said they couldn't help me. The factory was surprised for me to call as the dealer is supposed to do that. They had our 5er for 8 1/2 months of the first year of ownership. Good luck with your problem.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
We will try our best to not have to deal with CW service dept. They quit taking our calls after having our fifth wheel in there for warranty work. I started going in (40 miles) after work to try to get them moving. They finally just gave me the phone# for the factory and said they couldn't help me. The factory was surprised for me to call as the dealer is supposed to do that. They had our 5er for 8 1/2 months of the first year of ownership. Good luck with your problem.
Wow! Please don't let that happen to me, I'll end up in the news.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #6

I'm a pretty easy going guy, but the only two times in 5yrs. I've dealt with CW was a disaster. The worst was in Mesa, Az., the other in Navarre, FL. I'm done with CW, the Mesa fiasco almost had me going postal.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #7

My personal experience CW can't do anything right in one trip.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Never had any work done at Camping World, but have read a lot of horror stories about their service! I'm sure there are some good ones out there, you just have to find them!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #9

I agree there are probably good one's out there, but how do you separate 'em. I for one won't try since you'll only find out after it's to late.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #10

I must be the rarity. I've used CW on several trips where the problem was going to ruin the trip; busted water line in an inaccessible spot, a furnace that would not fire, and a check valve that didn't check. Each time, I explained the problem and that we were in the middle of a trip; they fit me in within an hour or so and we were on our way in about 3 hrs. total time on the longest repair. Prices were less than my dealer at home.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #11

One of the CW technicians saw I was upset and losing patience with the service writer and service manager. He took me aside and explained their procedure. They do not make reservations for working on units, the reservation is for you to drop-off your RV, they work it in as bay openings pop-up. They diagnose the problem (s), move the unit back outside, order parts, wait for parts to arrive, then work your RV back in to a bay when convenient. Our MH sat at CW for 3 months, and was never repaired. That was partly my fault because I never kept pressure on the service department. The wheel that squeaks the loudest gets the most attention, I forgot that.

If you really need work today, tell them you are waiting onsite until repairs are completed and they do their best to accomplish that.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:51 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
.....They do have the $39 install almost everything which is a good deal......
No, Wizard, its not a good deal. Its a very bad deal. At $39/pop, at best they break even on some installs. The install price is just a loss leader to get people in the door, then they put the monkey on the tech's back with hard pressure to get the job done faster than humanly possible. This is how and why mistakes get made.

I sometimes buy retail from CW because they do have specialty RV items that may be needed quickly from time to time. I'm a Good Sam Club member because in the course of a year the 10% discount will pay for the membership. But that's where my connection to the organization ends.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:35 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I went out there yesterday,and the general manager had not got in yet,he did call me and we are to see him monday at 11.It may get ugly because 2 trips with m/h 2 trips to resolve problem and all the phone calls not returned. I want my money back for labor,we are talking about a brake controller coming off after 20 miles ,This could have turned in to a major disaster,me getting sued,having to counter,etc and they know it. We are retired got the m/h to enjoy life.I expect problems with a m/h.
There was a time in my life i would love a good fight with companies like this,but not anymore. Thanks everyone i will post the results of my meeting.May have to go through main office.I still have some fight in me!
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:42 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I'm sorry for your problems, however. . . . the old adage a "squeaky wheel gets greased" is appropriate in most forums. CW gets many thousands of service and installation customers every day. Yes we read about a few bad experiences, but not thousands every day. It seems the only people who post generally are those with a bad experience.
Well I had a good experience with CW in Syracuse, NY installing my Brakemaster on my Jeep and MH a very low installation fee. The installation has worked perfectly for over a year now, and over 8000 miles towing.
We cannot judge an entire organization with hundreds of locations based on a few bad experiences. Any large organization such as CW will have some bad experiences, but then again many of the smaller organizations also have bad experiences as well. As I say you only hear of the bad ones. How many with a good experience take the time to write about it? Not many!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping