Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2007, 04:06 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Just thought I'd throw this out there.....needing a total replacement of my 18' awning I checked online at their website, did all the calculations and came up with a price of $987 with shipping included. Then add on sales tax 7% and installation, if done by them. Well I went down to the new Camping World in Lakewood NJ just 15 minutes away and submited the order. Well, much to my surprise, they got me the entire awning for $955 INCLUDING shipping, sales tax and INSTALLATION. Had it done yesterday. They also offered an early morning appointment or a noon appointment. They told me that sometimes the catalog prices are no bargain. Nice to know.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2007, 04:06 AM   #2

Just thought I'd throw this out there.....needing a total replacement of my 18' awning I checked online at their website, did all the calculations and came up with a price of $987 with shipping included. Then add on sales tax 7% and installation, if done by them. Well I went down to the new Camping World in Lakewood NJ just 15 minutes away and submited the order. Well, much to my surprise, they got me the entire awning for $955 INCLUDING shipping, sales tax and INSTALLATION. Had it done yesterday. They also offered an early morning appointment or a noon appointment. They told me that sometimes the catalog prices are no bargain. Nice to know.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #3

I've had good luck at some, and bad luck at others.
I had a towing package put on at the Camping World next to Lazy Days in Florida. They did a good job.
I went to the Camping World In Statesville NC, but I will never go back there again.
I just had a couple of very minor things under warranty. They kept the motor home for a week and didn't fix anything. I ended up just fixing the stuff myself.

Our beautiful little dog Bear
jjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #4

Joe I just did a major repair on my rig after $4300 in damages from a windstorm. Insurance wrote it up as a tornado. I did all the repairs myself except for the awning. What I was trying to share was that sometimes the store has better deals than the catalog. Personally I've had nothing but bad experiences with dealer/service places. From leaks to basement A/C repairs its all the luck of the draw.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #5

Tim, I'm sorry to hear about your wind damage.
Glad that you were able to work things out with your insurance company.
If I ever do need to order anything, I will take your advice and check the store price.
Sometimes you can get good deals at Camping World. I was looking for a heavy duty drop cord so I could plug into the shore power. I went to Home Depot and the local hardware. Couldn't find what I was looking for.
Went to Camping World and got a 30 amp cord cheaper than the light duty cords at the other stores.

Our beautiful little dog Bear
jjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Most of what you buy there is higher then any other store. Paying to be a member is a real rip off. I have never had any repairs done there but don't have any fath in that place to trust them.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
Good to hear this...I live very close to this store and shop there often...never had anything installed there yet, but did at the Swedesboro NJ store, always satisfied.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like a lot of other stores, there seem to be good ones and bad ones. I took our RV to a local one here and will never go back to them either. They started what I considered to be a critical job for me with a guy I judged to be competent. After about 10 minutes, that guy was gone and had been replaced by a guy who couldn't spell "tools". I watched him for less than 2 minutes and knew right away that I had forgotten more about how to do the work than this guy ever knew. I immediately complained to CW management. They confirmed that the second guy had been with them less than two weeks. It told them I wasn't comfortable with him completing my job. Instead of replacing him, they let him continue. I had to talk to him twice (I was standing outside of the bay where my RV was parked) to keep him from doing stupid things to my coach. CW management had the original guy come back and check his work.

If I had known what they were going to do to me, I'd have done the work myself. I took it to them because I preferred to have that job done by someone who had done it before. Obviously, that isn't what I got and I'll never go back again.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #9

Another addendum to this....the manager called me back today because I wasn't able to find a warranty card for the awning. He called Dometic. Seems that the awnings don't have to be registered for warranty, just need the receipt. So far, they're doing the right thing.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UPS 34:
Most of what you buy there is higher then any other store. Paying to be a member is a real rip off... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just curious... does this mean you aren't a member of any "membership store" such as Sam's Club and/or Costco?

Your statement regarding Camping World seems excessively strong for someone who has never had a repairs done by them. Just curious how you formed such a strong opinion.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:44 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Why don't you guys try comparative shopping at RV Upgrades.com one of the sponsors of this very forum? I have and found that on many items they were lower in price than the president's club at CW. And before someone comments, Yes, I am a president's club member.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:56 AM   #12

This whole thing started with me getting a better price at the store than at the catalog. The store is 15 minutes away. Can't speak for the other guys but for me, close is good. Anything else I need for coach repair I usually get from Lichtsinn.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:32 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have never found the Presidents Club to be any sort of a deal. After comparative shopping on line they are always one of the most expensive. The only reason I buy from them is as Fossilhog said, Close is good.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote