Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Wait, the simple solution and the moral of this story if you don't like the pricing is really...

Search and shop BEFORE you buy, not afterwards

I have NO problem with their pricing, just like I have no problem with MY pricing or Joe's garage or Franks RV repair... THEY can set their pricing at whatever they feel they need to...
then this WONDERFUL process called supply and demand comes into play...

When I had my business and got too busy but couldn't hire any more help because of regulations, etc... all I could do was turn it away OR charge a lil bit more to slow down the demand

in fact, that happens EVERY year when a new popular rv/car/widget comes out... more demand --> less discount

amazing how it used to work before others FORCED rules and regs on the marketplace...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I will say, online stores are driving the small business person OUT of business. It's all going to Amazon and such.

People complain about my prices, saying "I can buy it for $xx online or even Camping World." I tell them, "Yes you can. Go ahead, run me out of business."
jesilva, I hear your pain on this, and it maybe deserves a separate thread. I don't mind paying more for a product, but will only do so if there is value in doing so. I'm a commercial insurance broker in Canada, and I fully understand the nature of competition. To earn the business against people selling the same products, I have to continually differentiate myself by service and depth of knowledge.

When I visit a retailer, I look for the same characteristics. It's hard to buy from someone who knows nothing about the products they sell. As an example, I recently visited a local auto parts retailer, a large firm with a good reputation. I wanted to look at tire compressors, and they had four examples (from 2 manufacturers) with a price range from $50 to $220. The boxes were dusty, the clerk knew nothing about the product, and offered no information about how the respective units fared in reliability or customer satisfaction. "If it doesn't work,bring it back".

I went home and researched on line. I found a unit made by the same manufacturer of the retailers $220 unit, with more power and better specification, for $130. I also found a rating for the dealer (this was on Amazon), and customer reviews going back 4 years. I learned about duty cycles, and what they meant for me. I bought from Amazon, the unit was delivered free a week later. I liked the price, but I would have bought from the retailer if the clerk had been able to tell me those same things.

I recognize the challenges of staffing and developing product knowledge. But if retailers don't meet those challenges, and deliver service and knowledge, Internet traders will indeed drive many of them out of business.

All I can comment is that I welcome competition in my profession. When I get enquiries from potential clients seeking only price, I send them off to those brokers who only sell price. They will both be happy, for a while. But if they want service and knowledge - even if they don't know that when they call - it's part of my function to demonstrate it.If I do it well, I get a new client.

Thoughts, anyone?

Nick B
2008 Sierra 4.8L, 2014 Black Rock 19B
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
If you have trusted CW for your RV parts and supplies without checking around, as I did in this instance, you should stop! They should have the purchasing power to buy that board for $60 (and part of me thinks maybe they do, but marked it up 500% to take advantage of folks with a failure during a trip).
mbrandt1402

Thanks for informing folks that Camping World's Good Sam Club member prices, (formally CW President's Club), are seldom the best prices available on RV related products!
I learned that lesson over 12 years ago ....(I must have saved thousands of $$ since then)!
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #18

I find almost everything I need at Amazon and get 2day free shipping since I'm a Prime member. I do however like being able to go into a CW store and get what I need right away. I am OK paying a little more to get it right away and I would hate to see CW go out of business. I have found the other RV dealers prices are significantly higher for parts than CW.
go4dsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4dsnow View Post
I find almost everything I need at Amazon and get 2day free shipping since I'm a Prime member. I do however like being able to go into a CW store and get what I need right away. I am OK paying a little more to get it right away and I would hate to see CW go out of business. I have found the other RV dealers prices are significantly higher for parts than CW.
go4dsnow
You must mean S&B RV dealers, (since few online dealers charge more than CW)!
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
How far back do you have to go for Camping World to be price competitive? In the eight years that I've been RVing CW has always been a rip off. High prices are the norm there.
Yet just today I ordered an Ultra Breeze vent cover for my Fantastic fan from Camping world. They had the cheapest price I could find on line and they beat the price a friend who is an RV repair tech could sell it to me for by $5 at his discounted cost.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #21

The S&B is what I meant. I always seem to need something right away and of course itvwill never be cheap. LOL
Old 06-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by go4dsnow View Post
The S&B is what I meant. I always seem to need something right away and of course itvwill never be cheap. LOL
Now how many times do you HAVE to have something RIGHT NOW?
Last year while on a trip out to Yellowstone my sani-con broke. I check around for prices. CW had one but wanted way more than anyone else. I Found a company that had one in stock for a lot less than anybody else and had it shipped to me 2nd day right into West Yellowstone Grizzley park. Total price including shipping was cheaper then CW shelf price.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #23

Probably a couple times a year, but usually would like it right now rather than needing it right now.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Camping World is like any other business. They have the right to set whatever prices they wish for their goods.

On the other hand we have the money to buy stuff. Where we buy it is up to us. We make the choice based on the price they are asking, quality, availability and when we need it.

Seems like equal power to me.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #25

Sounds good to me.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Yet just today I ordered an Ultra Breeze vent cover for my Fantastic fan from Camping world. They had the cheapest price I could find on line and they beat the price a friend who is an RV repair tech could sell it to me for by $5 at his discounted cost.
Just under 2 weeks ago I bought online, 4 Maxxairs from Camping World (I just installed them today). They had the cheapest prices I could find, along with free shipping, for being a Good Sam member, or President's club member, or for some reason or other.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #27
mdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
There is one silver lining to this - our membership renewal is sitting on the desk right next to my keyboard. It will move to the shredder momentarily.
If you post your complaint on CW's site, RV.net you will get one of these....

"I'm sorry to hear about your experience. If you could please send in a private message with your contact information, I would like to help you address these issues. Please let me know if you need anything else. Thank you for your time and have a good day! "

Elizabeth Black-Osborn
Marcus Rapid Response Team

Don't bother waiting for the reply that will never come........
mdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
Perhaps this will put an end to the posts about online vs. brick and mortar and my expectations being out of line:

Camping World's research indicates $189 was what they should have been charging, not $299. They are supposed to put through a credit for the difference. That is right in my comfort zone as far as brick & mortar vs. online and what you should expect to pay for a part that you need NOW.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping