Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #1

CW advertises a "leak test," for tracking down pesky water leaks, of course. Does anyone here have experience with 'em? We've got a couple of seeping spots (found the ones on the roof, but last week's torrential rains exposed a couple near the windows) and were considering letting Camping World find them, depending on the cost.

The Incorrigible Dirigible is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #2

CW advertises a "leak test," for tracking down pesky water leaks, of course. Does anyone here have experience with 'em? We've got a couple of seeping spots (found the ones on the roof, but last week's torrential rains exposed a couple near the windows) and were considering letting Camping World find them, depending on the cost.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure what's involved in their leak test. We had a couple of leaks in our MH and wound up having a pressure test done where air escaping thru the roof was identifed with a soapy solution causing bubbles. Just like finding a leak in an inner tube by holding it under water. Haven't picked up MH yet so I don't know if the test was successful.
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The local dealer found a pesky leak in my first MH using a system that pressurizes the MH and then (I Believe) water is sprayed on the outside. It worked but I don't know the cost as mine was done under warranty.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Camping World, New Braunfels, TX, supposedly did a leak test on my MH and advised they could not find the leak. Just what was involved, I don't know, but I still have the leak. Going to the Manufacture in Feb.

Toad: 2006 Honda CR-V
BRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club

Local RV dealer here does it. Not sure of the procedure except they some how feed air into the unit to help find the leak or leaks. I śm going to have it done this fall when I have them reseal everything on the roof. The air test as I remember was $79.00.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
There was some discussion on doing this here on iRV2 awhile back. If I recall they used the output of a vacuum cleaner to pressurize the motorhome through either a vent or window with a seal around the hose. In their case they were trying to find where air might be leaking around slide seals, windows and doors. Don't see why this method wouldn't work for what you trying to do also, with the soap or bubble trick.

Could do a search to find the discussion.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:53 AM   #8

Before paying anyone to find the leak I would be sure that all the caulk is in good shape. It would be tough to pay someone to tell you that. Taking it to any shop is the last resort.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:36 AM   #9

It's an older coach, so we can see where the caulk isn't perfect in several spots actually. Is there a trick to re-caulking the side windows?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Walker:
Before paying anyone to find the leak I would be sure that all the caulk is in good shape. It would be tough to pay someone to tell you that. Taking it to any shop is the last resort. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would loosen the old stuff with a hair-dryer and carefully rake it off with a plastic credit-card like instrument to avoid scratching the exterior finish. You can clean away residual excess sealant with goo-gone adhesive remover.
You will not get good bond if you try caulking over an already cracked line. You need to get at least 1/8" of "clean" fiberglass surface to have a well-wearing bond.
Most modern RV's have a clear silicone eyebrow seal that covers the top horizontal surface & extends 6 inches around the rounded upper corners. To get a better idea of this, examine a new one before you get started.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is there a trick to re-caulking the side windows?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have leaks and have found water in both drive and passenger window. I have "read" somewhere that the windows need to be removed to be resealed with some kind of tape material. Any truth to this??
Old 10-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe removing the windows and re-caulking with butyl putty tape is the preferred way.

Note that the tape is NOT the usual putty tape but is butyl.
The butyl is stretchy while standard putty tape pulls apart easily.

RV stores often carry it and I have been told that Home Depot does also but I have not seen it there.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Is removing the windows and re-caulking with butyl tape a complex job or some best left to the pros.? I'd like to give it a shot but don't won't to get in over my head..

Thanks.