Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #1

Camping World Review

Today, I went to CW to get my engine oil changed. I made an appointment over a week ago. Even called later in the week to verify that they were going to be open, considering that it was going to be Labor Day.

Anyway, so I show up for my appointment. They promptly pull my MH in, & tell me that it will take approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours to change the oil. I figured, really? That long to pull an oil plug, drain the oil, put a new filter on? Two hours? But, ok. I'm there, let's get this done. My MH's "change engine oil" light is on. So, I need this done.

After 2 hours, I haven't heard a word from them, so I walk back to the service desk to check on the status. They inform me that they don't have my oil in stock, so they will have to go out and get some.

This is 2 hours after they pulled my MH in. What did they do for 2 hours? It would be hard to believe that they let it sit in the bay for 2 hours (I had an appointment), drain my oil, THEN discover that they don't have the oil that my rig uses.

Anyway, they tell me that it will be another 30 to 45 minutes. What can I do? So, I go back to the waiting area. I return to the service desk 45 minutes later, & they tell me that they are still waiting on the oil.

They finally gave me back my MH.
Five hours total from the time I pulled in until I was able to pull back out.

They charged me $133.33.
Then they said, oh, I'm sorry. You needed 22 quarts, instead of 20, so that will be an additional $39.99.

Really, I thought that I had read that the Workhorse 8.1 used between 6.5 to 8 quarts, depending on the filter size.

Now, the next part of this really messed up day...

I ALWAYS do a walk-around before moving my rig. ALWAYS.

When I got my rig back, the driver's door was facing me. As I walked around, I noticed that the front passenger window was open. Not anything to get upset about. It was hot, the rig was in the shop, & they probably wanted some air. Fine. But, outside of the shop, it has been raining, off and on, all day.

Next, they, for whatever reason, triggered my porch steps so that they would stay extended, even when the entry door was closed.

Lastly, as I started it up, I noticed that the "leveling jacks" warning system was beeping.

I climbed out, & looked underneath. The jacks appeared to be up. So, I pushed the restore button and after a few seconds, the warning buzzer stopped buzzing.

Service people, do your job, & leave everything else just that way you found it.

Needless to say, I will be looking for a different company to service my rig in the future. CW is supposed to look at my AC on the 13th, but if they take 5 hours to do an oil change, how long will it take them to look at my AC?

This is my FT home. I can't have it staying in a shop for a few days or a week.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #2

I'm going to check my manual. If I find that they ripped me off, having me pay that additional money, I will have their butt.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #3

Did you raise hell with anybody?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:46 PM   #4

Here is what I found on your motorhome. I don't think it holds that much oil it has a Chevy V8. Based on that there is no way it holds 20-22 quarts of oil more like 6 quarts.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2008-...lan-38t-tr1305
Old 09-03-2018, 08:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Did you raise hell with anybody?
No. In hindsight, I wish that I had. I figured that they had my rig & could screw something else up on purpose while it's in their bay, out of my sight.

If I find that they did screw me, there's no way that they can explain a mistake of charging me for so much oil. Not even close.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:00 PM   #6

They probably figured that I was just traveling through & wouldn't be back.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
Today, I went to CW to get my engine oil changed. I made an appointment over a week ago. Even called later in the week to verify that they were going to be open, considering that it was going to be Labor Day.

Anyway, so I show up for my appointment. They promptly pull my MH in, & tell me that it will take approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours to change the oil. I figured, really? That long to pull an oil plug, drain the oil, put a new filter on? Two hours? But, ok. I'm there, let's get this done. My MH's "change engine oil" light is on. So, I need this done.

After 2 hours, I haven't heard a word from them, so I walk back to the service desk to check on the status. They inform me that they don't have my oil in stock, so they will have to go out and get some.

This is 2 hours after they pulled my MH in. What did they do for 2 hours? It would be hard to believe that they let it sit in the bay for 2 hours (I had an appointment), drain my oil, THEN discover that they don't have the oil that my rig uses.

Anyway, they tell me that it will be another 30 to 45 minutes. What can I do? So, I go back to the waiting area. I return to the service desk 45 minutes later, & they tell me that they are still waiting on the oil.

They finally gave me back my MH.
Five hours total from the time I pulled in until I was able to pull back out.

They charged me $133.33.
Then they said, oh, I'm sorry. You needed 22 quarts, instead of 20, so that will be an additional $39.99.

Really, I thought that I had read that the Workhorse 8.1 used between 6.5 to 8 quarts, depending on the filter size.

Now, the next part of this really messed up day...

I ALWAYS do a walk-around before moving my rig. ALWAYS.

When I got my rig back, the driver's door was facing me. As I walked around, I noticed that the front passenger window was open. Not anything to get upset about. It was hot, the rig was in the shop, & they probably wanted some air. Fine. But, outside of the shop, it has been raining, off and on, all day.

Next, they, for whatever reason, triggered my porch steps so that they would stay extended, even when the entry door was closed.

Lastly, as I started it up, I noticed that the "leveling jacks" warning system was beeping.

I climbed out, & looked underneath. The jacks appeared to be up. So, I pushed the restore button and after a few seconds, the warning buzzer stopped buzzing.

Service people, do your job, & leave everything else just that way you found it.

Needless to say, I will be looking for a different company to service my rig in the future. CW is supposed to look at my AC on the 13th, but if they take 5 hours to do an oil change, how long will it take them to look at my AC?

This is my FT home. I can't have it staying in a shop for a few days or a week.
I don't have much faith in them either. They didn't install the slide topper properly and broke the door latching mechanism on my first trip. The next trip they couldn't repair the leveling valve. I had to do it myself in their parking lot. I haven't been back since. I do my own oil changes. Synthetic oil and filter for Cat 3126 and Onan 7.5 are less than your oil change and I need 32 quarts.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
40 bucks for two quarts of oil

Dang, that must be some kind of rare oil you use.

Personally, I think you got shafted
Old 09-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #9

I take our MH to Speedco(now owned by Loves) for oil N lube + filters. Their pricing is competitive and I'm in and out in under an hour. Now they don't have specific MH packages, so it's best to phone your selected location and inquire.
Caveat; they will NOT allow workers into a MH for any reason. If it's required to access filters from inside the coach they will not change those filters.
I too think you were taken. Marcus Lemonus' email is listed on the Good Sam RVing forums, they also have a contact forum directly to his staff.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Never ever go to CW...EVER!
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Did you check your oil?

Did the really put in 22qt of oil?

Why did you go to Camping World?

Why not consult the WH forum here and get some sound advice?
Old 09-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
When you did your walk around did you find 16 quarts of oil on the ground. Pretty sure your 8.1L is happy with 6.5 quarts.

22 quarts they must have thought you had a diesel or at least thought you thought you had a diesel and wouldn't know any better.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Did you check your oil?

Did the really put in 22qt of oil?

Why did you go to Camping World?

Why not consult the WH forum here and get some sound advice?
I'm concerned as to where the Kamping Wurld® "technician" poured in 22 qts of oil. For a big DP engine, yeah. For a gasoline engine in an RV? Where does it go?
Old 09-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
They charged me $133.33.
It's time to call the manager of that CW and raise cain. If you do have a Workhorse chassis, I changed the oil in my Workhorse myself and there are two sizes of oil filters. If you have the smaller filter it takes 6.5 quarts. If you have the larger size filter, then it holds 8 quarts. There is no way on earth that Chevy 8.1 engine holds 22 quarts. If you don't get satisfaction from them, go straight to the main corporate office then report them to the Better Business Bureau.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, camping world