Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2015, 07:28 AM   #57

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They delivered all the Christmas presents I ordered for myself. After they stole the water pump switch out of my rig I will not go back there for service anymore though.

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #58

Me thinks Camping World will continue to stay in business as long as here is no shortage of naive RVers ready to become victims of frauds and cheats.
As P.T. Barnam put it "There's a sucker born every minute".

Old 12-19-2015, 07:49 AM   #59

Carolina Campers
We wander thru Camping World, check the brands/prices and then find it cheaper on Amazon. It helps to see the brands I need and hold it in my hand before actually ordering it.

We just bought our 2001 Newmar DSDP there and they have been great with that, fixed issues I brought up when we first saw it before we did our walk thru and accepted delivery. They did a quote for a toad, husband got sticker shock. We then went elsewhere (a local business who has done stuff for the truck) and asked which way was cheaper...a tow dolly for my Verano or the tow bar for the truck. We haven't ordered it yet but will after the first of the year and no, NOT getting it at CW. Using the local business.

The notion of keeping stock on the shelf waiting for an order at warehouses is obsolete...called Just in Time Inventory. Brought over from Japan by Toyota in the 1980's...it goes by many names now but the idea is to eliminate waste.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #60

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes there may be a corporate or main leader issue with the overall service regarding the 120+ CW's across the country. In truth there are a lot of so called RV service departments that are having issues with quality service. In my opinion (what ever that's worth) finding quality service is becoming increasingly difficult in just about every aspect of the American way of life. Do you know a quality/honest plumber, electrician, automotive technician?? There becoming harder and harder to find. WHY?????

Our entire educational system and society as a whole has become less dependent on the expectation of "Do it until it's done correctly." Nobody can fail idea. or everybody gets a prize for just showing up. Those ideas breed average and below average kids who when they enter the work force can't solve problems, don't want to do a good job, won't work to do their absolute best, want more $$$$ than they are worth and they quit when the going gets tough. That's at the heart of the problem.

No they are not all in that category but the system is creating them as we speak. I know I was there for 35 years. I fought the system every day. I was not liked by my bosses because I expected quality and completed assignments. I also failed kids for not meeting my expectations.

Society has created several generations of kids who have had it all (given to them by their parents) and they've not had to work for much of it. They have no skin in the game and they're expectations are that life will be easy.

Every time a vocational program instructor retires the schools close down the program. Everybody needs and is going to get a 4 year college degree and we don't need the technically trained individuals.

Well I've got news for you. Department of Labor statistics in 2000 determined that only 20% of jobs required a college degree. Well guess what. At that time nation wide 40% of HS grads went to college and guess what only 20% finished. What is the educational system providing the 80% that don't have a college degree??? The 20% who didn't finish will have 1 or maybe 2 years of college. What can they do??? They don't know what's out there because they were taking all those college prep courses so they had no time to explore other careers.

I'll hit on this part briefly. Fixing an RV is much, much more complicated than fixing a car or truck. Taking your car in for a fix is for the most part easy. If the dealer does not have the part they have many, many other outlets for those parts and can have them in just days. In the RV industry that path to a replacement is much more difficult. Yes it depends on what part is needed but consider all the different independent manufacturers of all the parts that make up your RV.

The RV industry does not have or feel the same need to keep parts for older RV's in stock. If you have a part on your truck that needs replaced you call the dealer. If the manufacturer made it they will have a replacement. If they bought that part from another supplier they will call them and have it sent to the dealer. Or they will make you a new one. But they have accepted the responsibility to have it in stock or will get that part replaced. If you need a part for your RV the dealer has to call either the manufacturer or their supplier. So it's already getting more complicated. So one RV dealer who services say 4-6 different manufacturers and each manufacturer has 6-8 different lines or models and they have one person who has to call all those manufacturers/suppliers to order and then track parts. It has now gotten way, way more difficult to get those parts. Any time more people get involved it's a weak link in the chain. Lets just say that one person has the flu and is out for 3-4 days. Imagine how backed up things will get??? Now there's 10 to 15 technicians waiting on parts for 25 to 30 coaches ordered from 15-30 different suppliers and manufacturers and the one person who can check on orders is out. Recipe for disaster I would think.

The bottom line is it's almost impossible to get replacement parts for most RV's in a timely manor.

Last point. I will never lump ALL into the same statement when I can't say for sure that ALL will really fit into that statement. I think that's unfair to those CW's that are trying to work with an owner (ML) that won't see or accept that they can't fix everything.

I know for a fact that ALL CW's don't have a lousy service department. Our local CW is trying very hard to have the best SD. I have spent several hours sharing ideas and just talking with the GM. He has some great ideas that will work if he can get the quality individuals.

So we are back to square one. Finding individuals with good backgrounds in servicing all aspects of an RV. That's a tall order. JMHO !!!

TeJay
Old 12-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
We wander thru Camping World, check the brands/prices and then find it cheaper on Amazon. It helps to see the brands I need and hold it in my hand before actually ordering it.
The notion of keeping stock on the shelf waiting for an order at warehouses is obsolete...called Just in Time Inventory. Brought over from Japan by Toyota in the 1980's...it goes by many names now but the idea is to eliminate waste.
southernlady
I suspect that many people use brick and mortar stores, (like Camping World stores), as a place to check brands/prices and hold products in their hands before buying those same items cheaper online.... (I do... and apparently you do too).

Thankfully people continue to buy from CW stores!

If no one did people like us would have nowhere to see, touch and feel RV items before buying them somewhere else.
Maybe CW HAS TO DO WHAT THEY DO to keep their stores open for people like us?

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Yes there may be a corporate or main leader issue with the overall service regarding the 120+ CW's across the country. In truth there are a lot of so called RV service departments that are having issues with quality service. In my opinion (what ever that's worth) finding quality service is becoming increasingly difficult in just about every aspect of the American way of life. Do you know a quality/honest plumber, electrician, automotive technician?? There becoming harder and harder to find. WHY?????

Our entire educational system and society as a whole has become less dependent on the expectation of "Do it until it's done correctly." Nobody can fail idea. or everybody gets a prize for just showing up. Those ideas breed average and below average kids who when they enter the work force can't solve problems, don't want to do a good job, won't work to do their absolute best, want more $$$$ than they are worth and they quit when the going gets tough. That's at the heart of the problem.

No they are not all in that category but the system is creating them as we speak. I know I was there for 35 years. I fought the system every day. I was not liked by my bosses because I expected quality and completed assignments. I also failed kids for not meeting my expectations.

Society has created several generations of kids who have had it all (given to them by their parents) and they've not had to work for much of it. They have no skin in the game and they're expectations are that life will be easy.

Every time a vocational program instructor retires the schools close down the program. Everybody needs and is going to get a 4 year college degree and we don't need the technically trained individuals.

Well I've got news for you. Department of Labor statistics in 2000 determined that only 20% of jobs required a college degree. Well guess what. At that time nation wide 40% of HS grads went to college and guess what only 20% finished. What is the educational system providing the 80% that don't have a college degree??? The 20% who didn't finish will have 1 or maybe 2 years of college. What can they do??? They don't know what's out there because they were taking all those college prep courses so they had no time to explore other careers.

I'll hit on this part briefly. Fixing an RV is much, much more complicated than fixing a car or truck. Taking your car in for a fix is for the most part easy. If the dealer does not have the part they have many, many other outlets for those parts and can have them in just days. In the RV industry that path to a replacement is much more difficult. Yes it depends on what part is needed but consider all the different independent manufacturers of all the parts that make up your RV.

The RV industry does not have or feel the same need to keep parts for older RV's in stock. If you have a part on your truck that needs replaced you call the dealer. If the manufacturer made it they will have a replacement. If they bought that part from another supplier they will call them and have it sent to the dealer. Or they will make you a new one. But they have accepted the responsibility to have it in stock or will get that part replaced. If you need a part for your RV the dealer has to call either the manufacturer or their supplier. So it's already getting more complicated. So one RV dealer who services say 4-6 different manufacturers and each manufacturer has 6-8 different lines or models and they have one person who has to call all those manufacturers/suppliers to order and then track parts. It has now gotten way, way more difficult to get those parts. Any time more people get involved it's a weak link in the chain. Lets just say that one person has the flu and is out for 3-4 days. Imagine how backed up things will get??? Now there's 10 to 15 technicians waiting on parts for 25 to 30 coaches ordered from 15-30 different suppliers and manufacturers and the one person who can check on orders is out. Recipe for disaster I would think.

The bottom line is it's almost impossible to get replacement parts for most RV's in a timely manor.

Last point. I will never lump ALL into the same statement when I can't say for sure that ALL will really fit into that statement. I think that's unfair to those CW's that are trying to work with an owner (ML) that won't see or accept that they can't fix everything.

I know for a fact that ALL CW's don't have a lousy service department. Our local CW is trying very hard to have the best SD. I have spent several hours sharing ideas and just talking with the GM. He has some great ideas that will work if he can get the quality individuals.

So we are back to square one. Finding individuals with good backgrounds in servicing all aspects of an RV. That's a tall order. JMHO !!!

TeJay
There is no consistency in Management nor Repair work from one CW facility to the next. That's the biggest problem I see. We have a CW 15 miles from home... nice place to visit. Slide toppers installed on our last RV were done by a CW facility that is 60 miles away. Completely different facilities. Prices are exorbitant at all CWs. Look, Price and Purchase Cheaper Elsewhere!
Old 12-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Post TeJay, I agree VOTECH is not as strong as it should be Nowadays. In regards to CW. I shop them regularly. I don't have an issue with the retail side. They have two GPS on sale right now I would like to get (Garmin is Garmin and rand McNally the same whether from CW or Amazon) My problem is they are almost the exclusive repair facility here in Okla. I had them install my Sway bars(a 4-5 hour job max) they took 8 days I will not go back, the install wound up being fine but what a hassle, calling twice I went to see my coach in the shop. And they did a warranty look at my Sirius antenna problem, Now my front cabinets fall out and will not close. I have a factory appointment now with Fleetwood and will have to drive 900 miles to get work done. I will sacrifice the drive and distance to insure my coach is fixed properly. That does not solve my problem of a quality repair facility I can go to when I need work for my coach in even a 200 Mile radius. That bothers me but like so many RV owners your choice is work on it yourself or drive a good distance to get a quality repair. I am handy but there are some things I just wont do on my RV. Warranty work is one and I wish I had a good warranty repair center at least reasonably close to take my coach to.
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #64

Camping World is nothing but a collection of dealerships under the Camping World name. If the dealership was crap before Camping World purchased them then they are crap with a new name! Think about it, if Camping World is buying out dealerships they are buying many that are distressed. A few good ones like Tom Johnson gets thrown in the mix but Camping World really grew during the big down turn a few years ago.

The bottom line, pick your Camping World dealership carefully and if you are going to do the work yourself or via a local trusted shop buy your parts elsewhere/online. I have read toooo many stories where Camping World screwed up an order.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
It matters not which repair facility one chooses. It's always best to do your homework before asking them to do some warranty or repairs. Just wonder around in the store. Ask a few customers waiting in service some pointed questions and you can figure out if it's a decent facility.

In regards to our local CW. Yes it was a failed RV repair facility. It had an established clientele but suffered from bad management. When I found out who the GM was I asked him what he did. He put his office as close to the action as possible. Then he wondered around observing for the next 2-weeks. At the end he got rid of over 1/2 the staff both in sales and in service. Then they started working on the 6 month backlog of units that needed repairs. It's taken over a year but it's coming together. My only tie to the GM and CW is he sold us two TT when he was at another location. I always liked his honest approach and knowledge both as far as sales and repair work.

Ask the service writer if they have any RVIA certified technicians. Then ask if they have a training program that the techs use to get or maintain there certifications. If you can speak to a technician get a feel for how they are doing. Are they staying busy? Can they get parts in a timely manner? Who handles getting any repair parts.

You are asking questions to determine if you want them to work on your RV to earn money either through repairs or warranty work. If they don't want you to ask questions then they may be hiding things so leave. It's just about that simple.

TeJay
Old 12-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #66

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
southernlady
I suspect that many people use brick and mortar stores, (like Camping World stores), as a place to check brands/prices and hold products in their hands before buying those same items cheaper online.... (I do... and apparently you do too).

Thankfully people continue to buy from CW stores!

If no one did people like us would have nowhere to see, touch and feel RV items before buying them somewhere else.
Maybe CW HAS TO DO WHAT THEY DO to keep their stores open for people like us?

Mel
'96 Safari
Mel,

We do buy from them JUST often enough esp if needed in a hurry or we just can't find it elsewhere. And if it's just a few dollars difference, why not.

But just in the last two weeks we traded a travel trailer in for a class A diesel pusher...so our surge protector that was fine for 30 amp service was no longer enough. Before purchasing off Amazon, we checked out the one at CW. There was a $50 difference for the same brand. Now with that $50 savings, I can purchase other things.

Unless we win the Powerball, we don't have the extra money to spend in such a reckless fashion. But had it been less than a $5 difference, we would have gone ahead MAYBE.

Liz
Old 12-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Circus world and Wal-Mart goes hand in hand,welcome to corporate America.The bigger the store the worse the service.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #68

Yup. Ordered a thetford flush valve (didn't get it winterized properly) cost 22 bucks and shipping from camping world was 23 bucks. What da heck?!?!?!?!. Also took 7 days. Ordered a new control unit for my qwikee steps from amazon and 2 days later it shows up with no shipping charge. Love my amazon
Old 03-10-2016, 04:54 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Camping World is nothing but a collection of dealerships under the Camping World name. If the dealership was crap before Camping World purchased them then they are crap with a new name! Think about it, if Camping World is buying out dealerships they are buying many that are distressed. A few good ones like Tom Johnson gets thrown in the mix but Camping World really grew during the big down turn a few years ago.

The bottom line, pick your Camping World dealership carefully and if you are going to do the work yourself or via a local trusted shop buy your parts elsewhere/online. I have read toooo many stories where Camping World screwed up an order.
And in some cases the dealer goes downhill AFTER the CW takeover, that is what happened in our area. The closest 3 dealers to my house are all CW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
It matters not which repair facility one chooses. It's always best to do your homework before asking them to do some warranty or repairs. Just wonder around in the store. Ask a few customers waiting in service some pointed questions and you can figure out if it's a decent facility.

In regards to our local CW. Yes it was a failed RV repair facility. It had an established clientele but suffered from bad management. When I found out who the GM was I asked him what he did. He put his office as close to the action as possible. Then he wondered around observing for the next 2-weeks. At the end he got rid of over 1/2 the staff both in sales and in service. Then they started working on the 6 month backlog of units that needed repairs. It's taken over a year but it's coming together. My only tie to the GM and CW is he sold us two TT when he was at another location. I always liked his honest approach and knowledge both as far as sales and repair work.

Ask the service writer if they have any RVIA certified technicians. Then ask if they have a training program that the techs use to get or maintain there certifications. If you can speak to a technician get a feel for how they are doing. Are they staying busy? Can they get parts in a timely manner? Who handles getting any repair parts.

You are asking questions to determine if you want them to work on your RV to earn money either through repairs or warranty work. If they don't want you to ask questions then they may be hiding things so leave. It's just about that simple.

TeJay
The local dealer nearest me HAD RVIA certified techs, within a year of CW taking over, they no longer do. They have a hard time keeping techs too. At their current posted shop rate of $149 an hour SOMEBODY is making money, but it isn't the techs.

I had considered going to work for them, I have had training as an automotive tech, HVAC, plumbing and electrical, and have spent quite a few years in industrial maintenance as a trouble shooter. What they were offering in pay and benefits could be matched by the local McDonalds. I may still go independent one of these day, or maybe not.

Aaron
Old 03-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
wahoonc,

I've outlined my thoughts on this issue over several posts. We are suffering from administrators who only value a college education, give little credit or value to a vocational education, and do absolutely nothing to improve the educational system in almost every area.

I stood for hard work, completing all work to the best of a students ability, finish every assignment on time and with acceptable quality. My shop was a tin can with little heat and just barely enough comforts to stay in all day. It was one of the best programs in entire state and we had about 65 of them. I did it through high standards and hard work.

When I retired they closed it down. It is now providing maybe 10 additional parking spaces for football games.

My students worked hard, solved problems every day, completed assignments and learned how to survive in the world. Even after being retired for 10 years about once every month I run into a student who thanks me for what I did for them.

Students/parents today run the schools telling the administration how and what to teach. We are seeing the results of that attitude in most of our service areas.

Kids don't know how to work, how to set goals, how to dig deep and solve problems. Everything is handed to them with nothing expected from them. This is the result of a liberal mindset. Everybody gets a medal. Nobody is allowed to fail.

The RV industry is suffering as are most areas in the service industry. Most can't find individuals who will even show up for work everyday. They expect to be in charge and yet have not a clue. The system and that includes most parents, has done a great job of teaching low standards, and even lower expectations. Hard work is out. Complaining about the teachers and everything else is in.

Becoming your own independent boss might be your ticket. You could build a good business because you would be small enough you could train individuals who had the correct attitude. You might even find some retired individuals with experience to work part time. Maybe two guys each working 4 hours a day would work. Just some thoughts.

TeJay

Tags
camping