Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #1

Question Campsite Restriction Question

We are considering our first MH purchase as we look forward to becoming fulltimer retirees in 2016, and I have a couple of questions for the forum.
  1. What kind of campsite restrictions might I face with a 36' 2" MH as opposed to a 34' 9" unit?
  2. How "literal" are state/national parks when they say "35' maximum?"
Thanks for any comments.
kmburns49

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #2

Campsite Restriction Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmburns49 View Post
We are considering our first MH purchase as we look forward to becoming fulltimer retirees in 2016, and I have a couple of questions for the forum.

1. What kind of campsite restrictions might I face with a 36' 2" MH as opposed to a 34' 9" unit?
  2. How "literal" are state/national parks when they say "35' maximum?"

Thanks for any comments.

kmburns49

1. No effective difference.
2. It's more of a guideline. Many times they have sites that will take a 40'. Sometimes slide outs are more of a challenge than the length.

I see you're in NASCAR country. We love it in that area. When you get a ride, take it up to Mt Airy & spend a few days at the Mayberry Campground. It's very well kept & the little town is neat. A Porkchop sandwich at the Snappy Lunch will transport you back to the 1050s.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #3

Pretty much as Steve said. We made a reservation at a state park where the web site said 35 foot maximum and no wider than 10 feet. We called to get a clarification and the lady we talked with said "shoot, you can get anything in here including a tractor trailer! We arrived to find 50 foot long sites and so wide I could have parked sideways and still had room!

Then again, state park web site indicated 36 foot maximum. We arrived and snaked our way through very narrow roads, sharp turns, low weight bridges only 10.5 feet wide. The park ranger came roaring up and when she stopped she said "you can't come in here, we have a 28 foot maximum and 20,000 pound gross weight! I said "your web site indicates 35 foot and no mention of weight." She said "Oh, we have been trying to change that but no one knows how!"

But all in all we haven't had many problems at all. When we had a 38 footer again no problems
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drive a 38 foot rig and have parked on sites marked "24 foot max" with no problem.. A lot depends on is it a gasser or not, and how the site is layed out..

My advice is the first time you go to a Government park be honest and reserve a site that is big enough for your RV.. Drive about and inspect alternate sites,, Next time you may find it better to lie and claim a smaller RV DEPENDING ON THE PARK.

Private parks .. Well they tend to be more accurate with the tape measure.

It also matters Class A with towed,, W/o Towed TT or 5ER

So again it's be honest on the first visit, then take a park map and drive around and mark sites which are big enough.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:53 PM   #5

Angry Are you kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I drive a 38 foot rig and have parked on sites marked "24 foot max" with no problem.. A lot depends on is it a gasser or not, and how the site is layed out..

My advice is the first time you go to a Government park be honest and reserve a site that is big enough for your RV.. Drive about and inspect alternate sites,, Next time you may find it better to lie and claim a smaller RV DEPENDING ON THE PARK.

Private parks .. Well they tend to be more accurate with the tape measure.

It also matters Class A with towed,, W/o Towed TT or 5ER

So again it's be honest on the first visit, then take a park map and drive around and mark sites which are big enough.

Yep, lying is the way to go. Those pesky rules are just for other people. Clearly you know more than the folks who operate the CG's so just ignore their length restrictions.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No practical diff, get the one you like better. We are 38' measured. Sometimes a snug fit, but we fit in most anywhere we want.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:29 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, honestly we DO have problems with some parks! 45' and four slides will do that, but we realized that and live with it.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:01 AM   #8

it seems like the 'govt' is the only one who has all these 'rules'. We've never had an issue and have never been asked the length of our rig, including the 5' extra for our bike rack, and another 15' for our toad when we arrived or checked in - and most websites that ask about your length are basically trying to assign you to an appropriate site, not to keep you from coming in. Sometimes you may find it tight on entry to a site, but thats about it.
We have 24k miles, across country several times in 12 months, and stay at rv parks, state and national parks, and open parking lots - never had any length or width issue.

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:57 AM   #9

We had enough problems with our 22 ft in some of the Adirondack and VT parks to tell you that some places can handle bigger and some cannot. A lot of the old state parks really were set up for a car and tent and the cars were smaller back then. Some were set up with a car park space and a walk to the tent site. If you are in the real touristy areas the private parks have a clue about what can be done with what they have.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

There are a few places where the rules are strict and they measure at the gate. Those are places that have twisty or narrow roads and you really can't get in there. Others just state a site size and those are usually pretty conservative.

For practical purposes there is no difference between 34'9" and 36'2". Now if you had said 35' vs 45', I would have answered there is some difference in your selection of parks and often quite a difference in what sites you can use. Still not a major problem, but it definitely affects your choices.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:20 AM   #11

I have a 30 ft. MH and have booked sites for 30 ft. max. At every site there is room for the MH and my toad. Most times I can even leave the dolly on the hitch. I think the calculation they use is for travel trailer length and a tow vehicle.
If you are traveling without a toad, you should have no problem using 25 or 30 ft. sites.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:38 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We had a 36' diesel pusher that measured 37' overall and we never had an issue in the western states and no issues when we went coast to coast. We stayed in a LOT of National Parks. We camped at Yosemite every year at Thanksgiving and still had room for a car across the front of the site. We now have a 40' and the only issue we have is that sometimes private campgrounds get all shook up when they hear forty. Since ours is a true 40', I tell them it's 39'9". They seem to be less concerned when they hear thirty nine.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:55 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
1. No effective difference.
2. It's more of a guideline. Many times they have sites that will take a 40'. Sometimes slide outs are more of a challenge than the length.

I see you're in NASCAR country. We love it in that area. When you get a ride, take it up to Mt Airy & spend a few days at the Mayberry Campground. It's very well kept & the little town is neat. A Porkchop sandwich at the Snappy Lunch will transport you back to the 1050s.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
WOW! A Porkchop sandwich that takes you back to the 11th Century!! That's one hell of a sandwich!!!
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
Yep, lying is the way to go. Those pesky rules are just for other people. Clearly you know more than the folks who operate the CG's so just ignore their length restrictions.

Keep in mind, a lot of the people who make these park maps are clueless!
I was recently in a local campsite, which their map says the site was good for a 30' RV. With my motorcycle lift, I measure 46' and was about 10 or 12' from the road!