Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2017, 05:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I also like using oil that is designed for air cooled engines. I bought some John Deere oil formulated for air cooled engines at my local mower service shop. They were the ones that told me there is a difference when I bought a Toro zero turn mower.
I think the local mower service shop is feeding you a line . . . Next time you are in, have them point out the difference in API certs. Unless it has a different API (American Petroleum Institute) certification specifically for air cooled engines, they are just blowing smoke (metaphorically speaking) and you are just lining their pockets

Note: There ARE different API certs for diesel engines vrs gasoline engines!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2017, 08:21 AM   #30

Thank you everyone, I truly appreciate the input...although I motored around in a dp, my soon to be ex did everything as I watched. Big mistake, will learn. He is the one that told me I couldn't run the generator.
Frenchiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchiegirl View Post
Thank you everyone, I truly appreciate the input...although I motored around in a dp, my soon to be ex did everything as I watched. Big mistake, will learn. He is the one that told me I couldn't run the generator.

Probably one of those that doesn't want to use the shower either?
Old 04-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Probably one of those that doesn't want to use the shower either?
Thankfully the shower was not an issue ;-)
Frenchiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

Personally I would not run a gas generator while I slept at night, you may not wake up in the morning. Deisel no problem.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
FYI carbon monoxide is created while burning diesel. Seems to me one should be concerned no matter what fuel is burned.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:47 PM   #34

My 5500 Onan generator has run 36 hours straight a time or two. I have an exhaust stack that I can mount to the side of my RV to push the exhaust up over the roof.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbelcher View Post
My 5500 Onan generator has run 36 hours straight a time or two. I have an exhaust stack that I can mount to the side of my RV to push the exhaust up over the roof.
We've done the same with me/wife travelling from Texas to Florida with my daughter and her boyfriend last August (so, "warm"). If it were just us the engine air is always fine, but with the extra two freeloaders we needed to keep the back end cool when in transit. It's a two day trip, and we boondocked at a WalMart overnight...generator was only turned off a few times when fueling, and we ran it all night at the WalMarts.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

Personally I would not run a gas generator while I slept at night, you may not wake up in the morning. Deisel no problem.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Examining this a bit more appears to be required from the responses to your statements.
This pdf http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/1....1955.10467686
is very informative and contains concise results of the testing of 3 motor coaches with 3 different engines.
While diesel exhaust of properly operating engines contains a small amount of Co, an improperly operating engine can produce .6% (6000ppm), which is a lethal amount.In-cab diesel fumes — separating carbon monoxide fact from fiction | Overdrive - Owner Operators Trucking Magazine

I do think you were over-zealous stating "diesel no problem", but I agree there is much less exposure, or cause for concern.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #37
Commercial Member

i have run an onan gas 5500 generator for 5 days straight, while working at fmca rallies. the last generator had over 6700 hours on the meter without any major repairs.
at 6700 hours, i replaced the drive belt and other drive parts between the engine and generator.
spark plugs. oil and filter on a regular schedule.
oil and filters are the answer. i keep a carbon monoxide alarm and a fire extinguisher in each room of my rv. never had a problem. we lived full time in this coach for 7 years, while traveling for hwh corp.
on the diesel generator which i have now. i had to replace the belt and glow plugs at 4000 hours. again, maintainance is the answer.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #38

CO does occur in all fossil fuel powered engines.

CO is the byproduct of incomplete combustion and this does occur in a Diesel engine.

CO level is lower in a properly tuned Diesel engine than would be found in a properly tuned petrol engine, but even though lower, there is still CO present in Diesel exhaust. It is incorrect to say or think that diesel engines are 100% CO safe, the exhaust can still kill you, but the gas engine equivalent will certainly kill you quicker.

In a diesel engine the CO levels spike under rich fuel conditions and this can be caused at loaded generator periods, (microwave use, AC compressor start ups, etc). In a pusher this can be seen on hills or start up. Higher CO levels in diesel engines can also be seen when the fuel induction calibration is off and the micro fuel droplets are too big for ideal in relation to the combustion chamber conditions, this can also be seen if the convective swirl or chamber turbulence is less than ideal.

Regardless of how perfect all combustion conditions are, CO is still being produced in every diesel engine.

I would never sleep with a generator operating under the bedroom and what an absolute ignorant place to set a generator. This position of placing a carbon monoxide producer in such close proximity to a sleeping area and to egress windows violates all common sense.

I would install a smoke alarm and CO alarm in every coach sleeping area and in the area in the coach nearest to the generator exhaust.

The single message to remember is diesel fueled engines DO produce carbon monoxide and carbon monoxide is a killer - exercise common sense and proceed with caution.

In regards to the OP, a gas fueled generator designed for 24/7 duty can run continuous just as a diesel 24/7 designed product can. I have 4500 hours on a gas powered generator without any issues and some cycles are 240 hours non-stop.
Moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Is a LP generator basically the same as gasoline , ours is a LP 6500 .
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #40

Yes an LP generator is a gasoline generator, that's been converted to LP.

They rate them a bit lower, do to less energy in propane then gasoline.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #41

I've seen and participated in the diesel vs gasoline CO issue over on one of the boating forums.
I've searched and search and can't find ANY credible instances or stats on deaths while running diesel gens...

Lots of deaths with gas... even outside the boat!...swimming near the stern / swim platform w GAS gen runing

If you can find any real DATA or instances - not opinions - I'd like to see them.

True - the Nazi's used diesel engines to kill folks - but they were severely modified intentionally to do that.

Summary of ABYC - Voluntary Boat Mfg Stds - re: CO...
Unlike the smoke generated by a fire, carbon monoxide is colorless, tasteless and odorless, so the only reliable way to guard against it is the installation of a CO detector. The American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) Standard A-24 recommends the installation of carbon monoxide (CO) detectors for all boats utilizing inboard gasoline-powered engines or generators and featuring an enclosed accommodation compartment—defined as a contiguous space containing sleeping accommodations, galley area with sink and a head compartment. ABYC exempts diesel engines from this requirement and while it’s true they produce less CO than gasoline engines, my personal recommendation is that detectors be installed aboard both gasoline and diesel-powered vessels.

I'd agree w/ having a CO detector but would not go so far as not using a Gen while sleeping...after all I'd bet many of us have slept w/ propane furnaces running in cold weather!!! - how would you reconcile not running a gen?

just say'n
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, generator