Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2018, 02:02 PM   #1

Can a hydraulic leak trigger the stop engine light

Question is in the title
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Question is in the title
Do you mean check engine light?
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:40 PM   #3

Yes if the hydraulics turn the cooling fan.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej1144 View Post
Do you mean check engine light?
No I mean in red letters "stop engine"
I stopped and noticed hydraulic fluid leaking from the hose that enters the filter casing.
I believe the belt operates the fan. The engine temp was normal and I have not yet checked the coolant level. Ithink the hydraulics from this system are primarily for the brakes. It's a diesel pusher with hydraulic brakes.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #5

I’d say yes and no it depends on how much it’s leaking and what did the leaking cause to happen.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #6

Dip stick for hydraulic fluid was low but not empty.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:37 PM   #7

If the leaking fluid is film coating the radiator fins, then it certainly could become an issue.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:01 PM   #8

I made a mistake. My manual describes that filter canister to be for the power steering and it's filled with 15 w40 oil. It also describes it as a hydraulic reservoir so me is confused. So I'm kind of thinking the stop engine light could be a failing surpentine belt ( I'm having issues with the belt). The last time the belt broke I noticed the exhaust brake was quite weak. Today I noticed the same with the exhaust brake. I noticed this after getting off the highway ....I did fuel the coach up ( diesel) and noticed the stop engine light immediately after leaving the station. Maybe bad fuel?
Maybe bad belt? Maybe low power steering fluid?
Old 10-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
I made a mistake. My manual describes that filter canister to be for the power steering and it's filled with 15 w40 oil. It also describes it as a hydraulic reservoir so me is confused. So I'm kind of thinking the stop engine light could be a failing surpentine belt ( I'm having issues with the belt). The last time the belt broke I noticed the exhaust brake was quite weak. Today I noticed the same with the exhaust brake. I noticed this after getting off the highway ....I did fuel the coach up ( diesel) and noticed the stop engine light immediately after leaving the station. Maybe bad fuel?
Maybe bad belt? Maybe low power steering fluid?

Hydraulic tank that has filters in it should be fill with 46 hydraulic fluid not 15w40.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Hydraulic tank that has filters in it should be fill with 46 hydraulic fluid not 15w40.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181029_185017.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	224321
Old 10-29-2018, 05:05 PM   #11

Rooster after reading the above paragraph from my manual do you still think I should not fill with 15 w40.? I'm holding off filling it because my first thought is also to use hyd fluid.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Monacoach".....Several things going on. That oil tank at the rear is for the power steering only and will not cause a stop engine light. On the many of the larger air brake Monaco's like my Diplomat, that tank called for the 46 hydraulic fluid. I'm guessing yours, being a different model uses the 15-40. SO your good there.

Your belt should be driving the alternator, water pump and A/C. I don't recall, with the diesel Vacationer an air ride coach or springs. If air ride, the belt would also power the air pump.

Typically, if a belt slips, you won't get a check engine light, usually you'll get a low voltage, not charging light.

I think you have another issue. Is the light still on or was momentary and went away?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #13

The light stayed on from the service station to my home about a 15 minute drive. That is where I noticed the oil leak. I was concerned that the surpentine belt was about to snap because the exhaust brake became weak just as it did the last time the belt broke. My belt wraps around the crank, fan, water pump, ac, and alternator. I will start it soon and see if the stop engine light is still on. Thank you all for your posts.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #14

I have a confusion .

How does the serpentine belt have to do with the exhaust brake?

Tags
engine, hydraulic, leak, light