Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #1

Can anybody help..... sitting in the dark in the cold.....

Help folks, our Georgie Boy Landau 2006 , which we live in , we are parked in Wales in the U.K. Last night the RV started tripping our 16 amp electric hook up...... deveryrime we reset the trip on the electric hook up, it trips the post on the caravan park...... we turned off all our appliances, bur still trips out instantly........ There seems to be a clicking noise coming from what i think is the ac converter in our rear belly locker where the electric plugs in....... Can anyone give me any idea, is this something i can fix myself, or will i need to call out an engineer. .....
Would really appreciate any help, as its very cold and dark in Pembrokeshire tonight, thanks in advance.......Debbie
taggietutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 08:26 PM   #2

Have you been plugged into this power source for a while and it just stated tripping the breaker or did you just arrive and plug in to a new power source and it stated tripping?
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #3

Hello there...... been here for several months, and not had a problem up til now.....
Old 01-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #4

My first guess would be a bad circuit breaker. Is it one main breaker that has to be reset?

Do you lose both AC (house) and DC (battery) power?
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:12 PM   #5

My 12v interior lights are working, but nothing that operates from mains power.....
Not sure how to reset the breakers, cannot find anything in the manual.... have checked all the fuses, but there appears to ne two trip switches in our belly locker next to the hook up, and they keep clicking off......sorry thats a bit untechnical, but not checked out that locker before.......
Old 01-15-2017, 09:39 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know if the UK is the same as the U.S. as far as the electrical hook ups etc but i know I'd start at your camp ground box and check all legs of voltage.

If for some reason things at the CG end have deteriorated and you assume that since you have been there for months so that can't be the problem you'll be chasing your tail until someone decides to check your input voltages and current to assure that they are correct.

just last summer we stopped for the night and could not keep the AC running. It would work for a few moments then everything except the 12 volt coach voltage would shut down. It turned out that during the day the local power company had done some transformer work. One entire section of the CG had instead of 120 VAC was down to 106VAC on one leg for all campers in that section. Our surge suppressor was doing as it should which was to shut down any motor trying to operate with voltages below 120 VAC.

Immediately tripping a breaker usually means that there is a direct short. If you shut off all appliances which would get current from your circuit breaker box and it still trips then unless it's wired differently the direct short would have to be before the breaker box.

Do you have a generator?? If you do will it work to supply 120VAC to your coach??? If you don't have a generator then the only item still in the mix would be your convertor.

We know that takes 120vAC and send voltage to your breaker box to suppl;y voltage to all 120- V appliances and outlets. It also sends AC voltage to the part of the convertor that will charge your coach batteries. It has to convert the 120VAC to 12 V DC then send it to the batteries to keep them changed as you use your 12 V coach stuff.

You also said that you turned everything off and the breaker still tripped. Did you turn off all 120VAC plug receptacles as well? What if for some reason one of those has gotten shorted???

I'm just trying to get you to think of something that has happened to cause this direct short. Electrical things like seldom happen just like that. Maybe a solenoid used in switching AC and DC voltages has welded shut. A solenoid can do that very easily. What is a solenoid?? It is a high current switch that can be operated using low current carrying wire. All starter us a solenoid. The low voltage when your turn the key will energize a magnetic which closes the switch so high current can pass through the solenoid. That clicking noise you are hearing is probably a solenoid closing and opening. It is closed with a magnetic and opened with a spring.

Pleas do report back when you find your problem. We'd all like to know. I'm sure it is something fairly simple.

Good luck with this!!!
TeJay
Old 01-15-2017, 09:40 PM   #7

This may not help much but here goes... With the coach disconnected...
Go to your breaker panel and turn off all the breakers.
Turn off the outside breakers.
Plug in to the pedestel. turn on outside breakers. If they stay on go inside and turn on breakers one at a time until one trips.
If the outside breaker will not stay on the problem is your converter. Do you have a 240/115 transformer or is your coach all 240v. There may be a breaker for the converter but i'm not sure.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:15 AM   #8

Do you have an on board generator? Does this generator work and provide power? If so the problem is at the pedestal. Good Luck.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:59 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just MHO. If one is going to contribute to an OP's question wouldn't it be prudent to read what has already been suggested???

Just a thought!!!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #10

Hi TeJay,

I did read your post and you did indeed ask if his generator worked to provide electricity, you didn't allude to the fact that the pole is the problem. I know it sounds silly, but these people are in the UK and may not be as familiar as we are. I MO I felt it did contribute.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #11

OK, this can be one of many things. I would start at the power pole. turn off and unplug look at the male plug. i would not be surprised if you find one or more of the blades burned or possibly missing. If that is good, then look at the female side and see how burned the brass is. if the plug in is loose it will arc and burn. once it starts your simply dead until you fix it. if itmis OK, then plug back in, turn off all breakers inside your MH. turn the breaker on the pole on. if it trips immediately, you have a shorted converter. if all is good so far, turn on breakers one at a time until the pole breaker trips. you have just found your problem circuit.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Should the heater still work,it's 12 volt or am I wrong.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
Should the heater still work,it's 12 volt or am I wrong.
stan5711
If you mean the "propane furnace"... it should run on 12VDC from the batteries.
However the charge in the batteries will not last very long without shore power...(or without running either the generator or the RV engine).
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #14

Thanks for all that information, my head is spinning.......TeJay.....thanks especially , i feel i understand a litte better now.
The good news is tonight we have lights , music, and all things electric. I checked in the daylight, and found three trip switches linked to the DC converter, i had shut them off last night, and this morning i reset them. When i plugged our hook up back into the campsite post everything worked again normally.....
I'm not really sure what tripped them, but i have tried out each appliance in turn this evening, and all seems to be ok....
Thanks so much for everyones help, its lovely to know i can come on here in the middle of the night, when things normally go wrong.....!!! and find folks to talk with......