Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
We are traveling in a Holiday Rambler 38' motorhome, and have a problem with the ladder. It takes up alot of the cargo hold, so I was wondering if anyone carries it attached to the coaches ladder. Appreciate any input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We are traveling in a Holiday Rambler 38' motorhome, and have a problem with the ladder. It takes up alot of the cargo hold, so I was wondering if anyone carries it attached to the coaches ladder. Appreciate any input.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Indeed you can. I've seen many a stepladder strapped to the coach's rear ladder.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #4

Isn't that what the ladder is for on the back of my coach? Just kidding, as I figure that the ladder was designed to hold my 200 pounds, it must be able to hold our lawn chairs and the step ladder.
Brad & Lucy aka the Geezer & The Hedgehehog
1990 Foretravel Detroit powered
Kity Kat Eal
ASE Master Technician
Car Trailer with Whitey Ford the Explorer on board.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #5

I have been traveling with a 16 ft step ladder on my rear ladder of my m/h for over 5 years now. I have a cable lock on it and a ratchet nylon strap to hold it secure to the ladder. I use foam pipe wrap over any portion of the ladder that makes physical contact with the step ladder. It is easy to remove and easy to reinstall. I did purchase a vinyl coated hanger from CW to hang the ladder in on the top rung of the m/h ladder. Works very well and will free up a lot of space in the bays.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Great, I will put that ladder on in the morning.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buckeyes-- Yes,Yes. I also bought a vinyl covered ladder rack from Camping World. I use a bunge wrapped several times around the lower steps to secure it near the bottom of the roof ladder. Used it on two motorhomes over 9 years now-- No problem.

Max H
'02 Newmar Mountain Aire, '37 gasser, W-22,
'06 Malibu in tow
In Maine, heading south in a week
Old 10-02-2007, 02:04 AM   #8

Buy a folding ladder at a C.World or where ever and keep Your Motor Home from looking tacky.$100,000.00+ and it look's Red Neck Not for this camper but I have seen lot's out there.Just My .02......Bushman
Old 10-02-2007, 09:20 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
My wife says a coach with a ladder or other items strapped to the rear fixed ladder look like the family in the "Grapes of Wrath". movie, and I have to agree.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
You have to be very careful with this.

Too many items on the rear ladder may obstruct your iRV2 sticker!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #11

While I'm kind of particular what I have hanging on the outside of the MH, to me the most important thing would be to make sure it is SECURE. Imagine it coming loose and causing a serious accident.... Just a thought
bill carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with making it secure but there is more than just the hazard that would result if it fell off to think about.

I'll bet that your ladder is mounted to the RV with just screws through a thin sheet of fiberglass. When we mount things on sailboats that have to carry a lot of "load", we use backing plates and re-enforcement on the inside. I had to remove my ladder on the MH and there was hardly anything to it. With weight changes on the ladder, my back cap actually flexes. That is fine if you are only going to go up the ladder occasionally but if that flexing continued for a few thousand mile trip, a crack in the fiberglass could result.

I have a ladder mounted bike rack that we use occasionally. When I do use it, I make sure that there is no swinging of the weight. This (I hope) keeps the ladder from flexing the fiberglass and causing a problem.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #13

If you strap a ladder to your ladder, get one that matches the motorhome. A couple of days ago a new Essex parked behind me and the motorhome was a beautiful burgundy with breathtaking swirls. Hanging on the ladder was one of the largest and ugliest bright green and yellow ladders I have ever seen.

Every time I looked at that Essex my eyes fixed on that ugly ladder and my thought was "trashy." Linda stepped out of our motorhome and started laughing. She asked if I had seen that ugly ladder on the beautiful Essex.

So if you decide to haul a ladder aound please get one that blends in with your motorhome. Otherwise, you will have people passing you on the road laughing and pointing and you will be wondering why.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:16 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Norm Payne:
A couple of days ago a new Essex parked behind me and the motorhome was a beautiful burgundy with breathtaking swirls. Hanging on the ladder was one of the largest and ugliest bright green and yellow ladders I have ever seen.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I know why Newmar decided to stop installing ladders on new essex models!
TaxedtoDeath is offline   Reply With Quote