Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #15

IMO ... the answer to the question is no .... too much at stake .... if you make it without curbing and/or damaging your tow gear .. I would be surprised ... if you don't ... you've got a big problem ... can't back up ... can't unhook ....... to me the gamble is too big ... find the next place you can turn around .... parking lot ... around the block ... freeway exit/entrance, etc ....... I learnt the hard way .... Know where your going ... plan ahead .... again, just my humble opinion ...

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1phx View Post
IMO ... the answer to the question is no .... too much at stake .... if you make it without curbing and/or damaging your tow gear .. I would be surprised ... if you don't ... you've got a big problem ... can't back up ... can't unhook ....... to me the gamble is too big ... find the next place you can turn around .... parking lot ... around the block ... freeway exit/entrance, etc ....... I learnt the hard way .... Know where your going ... plan ahead .... again, just my humble opinion ...
X2!

I don't even consider a U-turn!

DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:21 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
I have owned my MH for a couple of months and have been out for one good trip so far. I have made a couple of tight turns with my Focus toad and still have not had to make a "U" turn. I have a 55 degree turning radius and have yet not made a tight two lane "u" turn. I do realize I should get out there and practice at this to see what my 35' rig +tow is capable of. I am thinking you would have to fudge to the right some and have the wheels turned completely to make the two lane turn. Any pointers would be surely appreciated. Thanks!!
Are you talking about a two-lane U-turn? Or a two-lane, 3, or 4, or 5 cut y-turn? I'm only 5 ft longer than you, and I also have a 55* wheel cut. If someone suggested to me that I could make a two-lane U-turn in my coach I wouldn't be able to drive I'd be laughing so hard.

You're operating a large machine designed for unexciting operation on large roads. Prudence dictates that you go out to a huge parking lot early on a Sunday, and find out exactly what your machine's space requirement and turning capability are. This will enable you to have some of the good judgment that you will be expected to exercise. And part of that good judgment is that you will never consider a U-turn as part of your normal repertoire. Three rights and a left will achieve the same end. [Did you know that UPS computers plan their delivery truck routes such that they only make right turns? (unless a left is unavoidable). They do three rights instead of a left as a normal procedure.] Or pull into the Wally or HD and work yourself around. If you're in a place with enough room to make a U-turn, then you probably don't have to worry about a U-turn.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Are you talking about a two-lane U-turn? Or a two-lane, 3, or 4, or 5 cut y-turn? I'm only 5 ft longer than you, and I also have a 55* wheel cut. If someone suggested to me that I could make a two-lane U-turn in my coach I wouldn't be able to drive I'd be laughing so hard.

You're operating a large machine designed for unexciting operation on large roads. Prudence dictates that you go out to a huge parking lot early on a Sunday, and find out exactly what your machine's space requirement and turning capability are. This will enable you to have some of the good judgment that you will be expected to exercise. And part of that good judgment is that you will never consider a U-turn as part of your normal repertoire. Three rights and a left will achieve the same end. [Did you know that UPS computers plan their delivery truck routes such that they only make right turns? (unless a left is unavoidable). They do three rights instead of a left as a normal procedure.] Or pull into the Wally or HD and work yourself around. If you're in a place with enough room to make a U-turn, then you probably don't have to worry about a U-turn.
Two lane one way and two lanes the other way, you being in the turning lane to make the "u" turn. I think that you can learn your vehicle but at times misjudge the turn by 2' or so and get hung out to dry. Thank you for all the good info and your insight.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL Z View Post
X2!

I don't even consider a U-turn!
X3!. My GPS is set to avoid "U" turns in case I have a brain cramp. I'll drive another 10 miles to find a place to turn around easily instead of chancing a U-turn that is questionable. I have too much money invested to risk tearing it up purposefully.
I see Wolfcreek posted doing this on a 4-lane road. Shoot, I can't usually make such a U-turn with my LB,CC, dually. Would not try with my 40' MH + towed = 59'.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
Go to a large parking lot and make a mark on the ground. Turn the wheel all the way and make a U turn then you will know what your limits are.
I didn't even bother reading all the rest of the 18 or so answers. This one is the EXACT ONE I was going to suggest. Geeze, just about every inch of every motorhome/toad connection and total length and turning capabilities ARE ALL DIFFERENT. Each combination is going to produce different results in a U-turn situation.

As has been suggested, go to an empty parking lot and find out for yourself, what YOUR RIG will do and what it won't do. Then, do it several times with cones or, whatever you chose to help you mentally mark distances. That will help you IMMENSELY in making judgments the next time you think you might need to make a U-turn, whether you can make it or, not make it in, what ever predicament you're presently facing.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I didn't even bother reading all the rest of the 18 or so answers. This one is the EXACT ONE I was going to suggest. Geeze, just about every inch of every motorhome/toad connection and total length and turning capabilities ARE ALL DIFFERENT. Each combination is going to produce different results in a U-turn situation.

As has been suggested, go to an empty parking lot and find out for yourself, what YOUR RIG will do and what it won't do. Then, do it several times with cones or, whatever you chose to help you mentally mark distances. That will help you IMMENSELY in making judgments the next time you think you might need to make a U-turn, whether you can make it or, not make it in, what ever predicament you're presently facing.
Scott

Yep! All true. On the other hand, what you'll find is that it's best to limit u-turns to parking lots. I've (only once in northern Nevada at a two lane unmarked intersection) missed a turn and had to drive about ten miles to find a spot where I could safely turn around.

Oh, and sometimes you just gotta unhitch the toad to back up as you try and not look too stupid cos you made a bad move. Not that I've ever done that! 😉 Plan ahead and safety first! 👍🏻
Old 06-16-2015, 02:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
Yep! All true. On the other hand, what you'll find is that it's best to limit u-turns to parking lots. I've (only once in northern Nevada at a two lane unmarked intersection) missed a turn and had to drive about ten miles to find a spot where I could safely turn around.

Oh, and sometimes you just gotta unhitch the toad to back up as you try and not look too stupid cos you made a bad move. Not that I've ever done that! �� Plan ahead and safety first! ����
Yes indeed, I am sure that at times a fella can get into some precarious situations with hardly an out to be seen. That is what we are all trying to keep to a minimum by planning ahead and being careful. Even with planning and being careful we will still have our moments...
Old 06-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #23

I have to make a u turn when traveling south from my drive way. Excursion 35B with 55 degree wheel turn will not stay on the road with a 2 lane u turn. 3 Lanes are required or in my case use part of the sholder of the road. Unless your wheel base is quite a bit shorter than mine it wont clear.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:19 AM   #24
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Practice, Practice, Practice. Find a large empty lot and practice.

1) Full, hard turn. I would recommend doing this very, very slowly the first time, with a spotter to make sure your not hitting the TOAD or bar. Do a full straight ahead stop, turn the wheels full left or right and drive around in a circle. This will show you how much room you need AND if your TOAD will follow without interference with tow bars or vehicle. Again - make sure you do very slowly and with a potter the first time.

If you have a couple orange cones, these are nice to mark lanes, etc to give you a visual reference as to how much room you need to do a full circle

How much clearance do you have with the TOAD and the tow bar when your full circle? Stop and get out and look after you've completed a full circle.

2) While your in the lot, you may want to investigate backing with a TOAD - Its best to do this with a spotter to watch how your TOAD wheels respond (caster). TOAD Wheel castering will be the limit on how you can maneuver while backing. (If you have surge brakes, you may need to disable them while backing)

Back straight up for 50 - 100 feet, watch the TOAD wheels to see how/if they caster. Introduce a couple small turns while backing to watch for wheel castering. On my Civic, even though I'm backing, the front wheels caster fairly nicely with the turn so I'm no longer affraid of scuffing the front tires. You need to know this before you do any serious backing.

I'm now comfortable backing my TOAD just as if it was a regular trailer. I have no problem pulling up to a spot and doing a 90 degree turn as I'm backing into a parking spot with the TOAD connected.

I know the radius, I know the clearances with the TOAD and bar. I know how the TOAD behaves while backing.

Again, practice this in an open lot, then when you need the skill in real life, you will have the experience to do it comfortably and you'll know the limits of your skills and the limits of the equipment.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:32 AM   #25

If the GPS lady is telling you over and over again to make a U-turn then it must be doable!
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:42 AM   #26

Turn around, when possible, Turn around, when possable
SHUT THAT THING OFF. :(:(
Old 06-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #27
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
^^ ROFL - Exactly.....

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote