Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #1

can I make that "U" turn??

I have owned my MH for a couple of months and have been out for one good trip so far. I have made a couple of tight turns with my Focus toad and still have not had to make a "U" turn. I have a 55 degree turning radius and have yet not made a tight two lane "u" turn. I do realize I should get out there and practice at this to see what my 35' rig +tow is capable of. I am thinking you would have to fudge to the right some and have the wheels turned completely to make the two lane turn. Any pointers would be surely appreciated. Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 07:36 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you're making a left-hand u - turn constantly check your right mirror for tail swing! Check your left and keep your rear camera monitor on for any toad binding. Much better to stop before hitting something than after! And not to sound rude, but you may need to plan your trip better so you don't need to put yourself in a u - turn situation. Use Google Maps to check out your entry and departure areas. Look farrrr down the road before you run into an issue. I've been MH'ing for over 10 years and I can only recall a couple of times where I had to make a u - turn.

Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:49 AM   #3

Worst U turn was at a flyiing J rv island and had to make turn across the front of store and cars made me make a go round. My 42' with truck had about 1/2 foot clearance on pumps and I never go to rv island just pull thru truck lanes. Planning ahead is better than more than 90 degree turn some of them are close on single lane no shoulder turns.
Dupdyke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After thousands and thousands of miles I made my first error in judgement and caught a post yesterday. The post won.

A good rv/trucker g.p.s. will avoid "u" turn situations.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to a large parking lot and make a mark on the ground. Turn the wheel all the way and make a U turn then you will know what your limits are.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:02 AM   #6

I highly suggest going to your driver license office, get a CDL traing manual, and study it. There are many things about maneuvering.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1434114032.405232.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1434114049.179146.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  33.7 KB
Learn how truckers do it. Then go practice.
I have 42 plus toad and learned how to make it easy.
Best wishes

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #7

I have a 30 ft class c, with the large rear overhang. If I am along a curb and steer sharply away, the dolly wheel will hit and roll up on the curb.

As suggested, find a parking lot and some observers, to watch what happens back there.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #8

can I make that "U" turn??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I highly suggest going to your driver license office, get a CDL traing manual, and study it. There are many things about maneuvering.
Attachment 97003
Attachment 97004
Best wishes

Edit: some folks avoid easy maneuvers because of fear or lack of confidence. Once you gain the skill, RVing is much more relaxing.
And you won't require pull thru fueling or campsites. Some will state that they "like the convenience" of pull thru fueling, and some will outright admit that they simply lack the confidence.
And we all need to make U-turns! However, some folks have figured out that three right turns equals one left turn.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1434114766.196816.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	97006

Old 06-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #9

No matter how much you plan you will most likely find your self in a position where you have to decide; can I make that U turn or will I have to keep driving to find a better route. Ever heard the term "Michigan left turn"? It is where in order to turn left you go past the intersection then make a U turn so that you turn right onto the desired street. Indianapolis has some.
Anyway, you should try an practice a few so you at least have some idea of what the coach is capable of.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Attachment 97003
Attachment 97004
Best wishes
Thanks for the reply and information.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back in the days when I had a VCR,, I had a video tape of a truck making a U-Turn on the freeway (With permission and assistance of the state police) This was done using one of the authorized vehicle turn arounds.

As I recall there are six or 8 lanes (3 or 4 in each direction) but I have .. hold one I can check Yup, 4 lanes in each direction (There are cameras on that stretch of freeway which are WWW accessable) www.michigan.gov.mdot and pick the roads and traffic link (top left))

Took all those lanes to make the turn and the shoulders beside.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #12

I've tried the u turn 1 time it was 2 lanes in and out with alittle grass in the middle. I could not make the turn and could not go up on the curb because of a sign. Luckily I didn't hurt the tow bar because I had to back up alittle.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I've tried the u turn 1 time it was 2 lanes in and out with alittle grass in the middle. I could not make the turn and could not go up on the curb because of a sign. Luckily I didn't hurt the tow bar because I had to back up alittle.
Tha Rooster,

I think you hit the nail on the head with this post. Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post

Choosing where to make a U-turn and knowing your required "space" or making for a large parking lot makes a difference.