Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Don't forget to change CO detectors as before recommendation of manufacturer, typically 10 years. I change out at 7 years in the sticks and bricks and plan to do the moho every 5 years because of generator use.

I also added an additional CO detector to the moho and have one located by the couch and one by the bed.

I too want to wake up in the morning.

Jeff & Elaine
2015 Thor Challenger 37GT
Eastern North Carolina
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our subdivision lost power last Saturday night about 8:00. When I called in to report the outage, the automated Oncor outage reporting system stated it would be restored by "1:00 pm tomorrow" . So I cranked up the genny and put out the slides and we slept comfortably with A/C runnin out in the motorhome that night.

I will tell you I have a specific fear of carbon monoxide poisoning. We almost lost my sister and stepmother from it back in the 80's. I do have new carb monox detectors, but was still edgy going to bed thinking about possibly not waking up the next morning....I know, silly paranoia... But being aware of it is not necessarily a bad thing, either! There was a slight breeze from the south, so that helped too.

Sunday morning, the power came back on at 0705, a nice surprise.

Awareness is an awesome tool in prevention....just remember that in all things. A good rule of thumb taught to me by my college bound high school english teacher, Mr. Walter Forbes!

Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carbon monoxide detectors are a god idea even if you are not running your generator but are parked where someone is or might park next to you during the night. We also have more than the factory installed ones.

Running it all night has never been a problem for us, we just think about where we are and use common sense. No need in a CG under normal conditions. Truck stop? Why not all the trucks are idling. In the RV section of Flying J, maybe not or not late anyway. A rest area? Look around and see if you will bother anyone.

We also try to run ours once a month under load to exercise it. A/C is a good load summer, space heater in winter. Ours is also a shut down at 1/4 tank of fuel. A good idea to prevent running out.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
Master of Disaster

Like others, I have run mine for days, except to shut it down in the morning and the evening briefly just to check the oil.

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
We actually went over to the State Park and tried to get a campsite but they were full, only tent sites available. It rained almost all day today so we stayed home and took it easy. Tomorrow hopefully will be able to visit old St. Augustine and site seeing.
To Don & Mary... yes ran it all night and were very comfy. Again we appreciate all the advise, thank you so much.
Actually I have an unrelated question... We are getting "Sewer Flies" in our motorhome. Any idea how to get rid of them? We purchased some cleaner for the tanks and it seems to have a small affect on them... but they still keep coming!!!
Thanks to All!
Tom & Kathy D.
tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
I parked next to a fellow Cannuck in a Cracker Barrel lot on our last trip to FL. He was outside when we pulled up and we chatted a bit. As we did his DW came out with a big cheap box store fan and proceeded to plug it into an exterior outlet and set it down on the asphalt near the genny.

He spotted me looking and said "Cheapest CO protection you can get, spread it out so much it's harmless to everyone."

I guess as long as nobody steals the fan he's ok.
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #21
Have never needed to run the genny that much & we boondock. Guess our temps must be more moderate & we conserve energy.
Never criticize a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes... then you're a mile away & you've got their shoes!
Katina, Dave & kiddos ~ '97 Thor Residency 35'
kat_nda_sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #22
Welcome to the forum! I think you have the advice you needed. A used gen is a happy gen!
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #23
Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
If you are in a campground private or public please check on the generator usage rules. I hate the noise of a generator all day and all night. Some State/Federal campgrounds limit generator use to specific hours per day etc. And I have been parked next to people who don't consider their neighbors. My neighbor's son got sugar dumped into his generator gas tank at a NASCAR event.

Boondocking in a non-campground area usually has no rules. Except for dumping etc.

However since we have hurricanes each year our generator has been a fantastic tool to have.
Nancy & Bill, Camden, NC
Retired and having fun
Cardinal 29WB, '14 Ford F250 dsl 4wd
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #24
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re CO detectors.. as I said, since I installed my Gen-Turi mine are a lot less annoying.

However one night I was parked next to someone .. and THEIR side exhaust generator set my alarm off.. Now I have a personal Gen-turi rule. basically it says do not exhaust your generator in my face, or my RV.

I regulary read "Warnings" about the Gen-turi exhaust betting sucked into the air conditioning system.

I have never, EVER heard of it happening, in fact it can not happen, but still folks who are anti-gen-turi will yammer about it.. I have done the tests myself, I knwo it does not happen, I proved it over and over. PERSONALLY. If it was a danger I"d not be typing this response. (At least not from an earthly Domain).

I also wired the RV with a couple of heavy duty outlets so I could feed (not back feed but feed) the house via a proper gerenator transfer panel.. Came in handy a few times.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote

gas, generator