Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #1

Can I use dielectric grease on 50A umbilical

The male adapter on the 50A power cord which came with the Winnebago does not have a handle and is difficult to remove from the outlet.

I was wondering if I could put dielectric grease on the contacts to make removal from the power source easier.

An obvious downside would be the collection of dirt so I would probably have to wipe the contacts when not connected.

Thanks in advance.

chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #2

It will be just fine. I have been a computer tech for many years and have used DG on many stubborn plugs. As you say, just keep it clean.

Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #3
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I have been using it for 12 years, never any problems. I also did linework for a utility company we always used it on the connections.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman View Post
The male adapter on the 50A power cord which came with the Winnebago does not have a handle and is difficult to remove from the outlet.

I was wondering if I could put dielectric grease on the contacts to make removal from the power source easier.

An obvious downside would be the collection of dirt so I would probably have to wipe the contacts when not connected.

Thanks in advance.

This would make it easier:

http://www.coilnwrap.com/products/PL...p-4-prong.html

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
This would make it easier:

PLUG DOGS 50 Amp 4 prong - Coil nWrap a Cool RV Products Store

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Now that is a great idea!
Old 10-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #6

Iiiiiii Like it!!!
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #7

Grease also makes it slide easier reducing stress as well as reducing oxidation.

Get some plastic bags like those from the market and cover plug as soon as pulled to keep dirt out.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman View Post

Thanks in advance.
We really don't use "dielectric" grease though we often call it that. It is contact grease or oxidation retardant grease. It does not insulate as dielectric grease does. I use the stuff found at HD or Lowe's in the electrical department. Oxi-guard or No-Ox or some name like that is what I use. We had big tubes of this stuff in the phone company that we used on our DC busses and battery terminals. It was a heavy, special grease. The stuff from the store is a dark gray and not very dense. I wipe a small amount onto the plug contacts after I clean them with emery cloth. The film is minimal.

I used dielectric grease as a heat sync compound for transistors many, many moons ago.

Happy trails,
Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote