Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2005, 06:37 PM   #29

Capt. Bud,
I would love to meet you guys at the Rally. But, we are leaving late Sept. for a 6 week trip to North West, down Pacific Coast, Tucson, and more. I have a son in Sacremeto and a daughter in Tucson. We really want to go to Oregon and Washington State. The Pacific Coast Hwy is a must for us. We have done it before and can't wait to do it again.
We have to delete a few states again this time. Looks like we may not be able to go to Oregon again because of the fires. And also looks like New Orleans is out of the question again due to Katrina. Maybe next time. BTW, didn't forget the stories you are interested in reading. I think there is going to be a lot of editing I have to do. I have to delete names of people, Mfg and dealers which have been mentioned many times. What I can do though is to give you links to their postings. Because what I have are very personal details of events which while reading them would not make sense to anyone without knowing the whole story. Some of them are long stories. So if you are interested, I will post links to their posted stories and I do have pictures Which are not posted. I don't know how to post them here on this forum. But, If you really want them, I will email them to you.
Toni
Petition
May you always have
Love to Share, Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2005, 06:38 PM   #30

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">NOT buyer beware anymore. What is a warranty worth if it is not enforceable? Has no teeth! I worked in a manufacturing
environment (Alcoa) for many years, and I assure you that we were held accountable by our customers. Why not the RV manufacturer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thank you, This is exactly what I was trying to say.
Toni

Old 08-31-2005, 05:27 PM   #31

Longthumper,

No shots, but I have to disagree with you to some extent:

RV MANUFACTURERS: Maybe they're not trying to put out a low quality RV, but some are built with the cheapest possible materials possible. I've seen cheap and inferior stuff on some fairly high dollar units, too. Sometimes, you really don't get what you pay for.

DEALER SERVICE: My experience with dealer service has been poor to worse than poor. Long wait for appts and parts, shoddy work, and outrageous charges.

SALESMEN: I've seen definite improvements in salesmanship, similar to what we've seen in the auto industry. I've recently been surprised at the honest answers I've received re tow vehicle requirements for FWs.

QUALITY: Yes, lots of room for improvement. The hidden areas of many MHs can be an electrician's and plumber's nightmare.

Got to agree about wants gone wild. But regardless of how complicated they've become, there's no reason to expect that lots of stuff will break when they bounce down all kinds of roads in all kinds of weather. Isn't that what they're supposed to do? Unfortunately, I believe I've become a fairly good RV mechanic over the years by necessity.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #32

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ralphie:
Longthumper,

No shots, but I have to disagree with you to some extent:

RV MANUFACTURERS: Maybe they're not trying to put out a low quality RV, but some are built with the cheapest possible materials possible. I've seen cheap and inferior stuff on some fairly high dollar units, too. Sometimes, you really don't get what you pay for.

DEALER SERVICE: My experience with dealer service has been poor to worse than poor. Long wait for appts and parts, shoddy work, and outrageous charges.

SALESMEN: I've seen definite improvements in salesmanship, similar to what we've seen in the auto industry. I've recently been surprised at the honest answers I've received re tow vehicle requirements for FWs.

QUALITY: Yes, lots of room for improvement. The hidden areas of many MHs can be an electrician's and plumber's nightmare.

Got to agree about wants gone wild. But regardless of how complicated they've become, there's no reason to expect that lots of stuff will break when they bounce down all kinds of roads in all kinds of weather. Isn't that what they're supposed to do? Unfortunately, I believe I've become a fairly good RV mechanic over the years by necessity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I hope you sign my petition at
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/rvprotectionact
Thank you for your opinions. I appreciate your input. It is people like you that encouraged me to do what I am doing. Toni
Old 09-01-2005, 05:05 PM   #33

For those of you who wanted to here the Horror stories....check out these links. Now you can't respond until you join but be aware that the site will be down tomorrow Sept.2 for repairs.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/15407677.cfm

another..........
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/15156404.cfm
another..........
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/16078063.cfm

here is another
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/16055023.cfm

here is another
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/15751896.cfm

another...

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/15335229.cfm
And for everyone of these stories, I have at least 100 more stories. If you are so inclined, sign up for rv.net and do a search for any name brand. Just make sure you set the time search for more than 30 days. SIGN UP, IT IS FREE. You want stories. You gottem there. Sad but true.
http://www.rv.net/forum/
Toni
Old 09-01-2005, 05:22 PM   #34

ralphie,
You may not agree with me but then you say....
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Got to agree about wants gone wild. But regardless of how complicated they've become, there's no reason to expect that lots of stuff will break when they bounce down all kinds of roads in all kinds of weather. Isn't that what they're supposed to do? Unfortunately, I believe I've become a fairly good RV mechanic over the years by necessity </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am a 65 year old women and can do a lot of superficial repairs but, I can not do any heavy duty repairs.
And to be honest with you, I don't think that I should have to do it if I were still under warranty. Check out some of the links in the above posting. And also check out my web page.
My Web Site
So that you know that we are very happy campers. My husband is 81 and was climbing until last year. So you see we can't all do the mechanics involved in owning an RV. But, some of the people I am trying to represent have brandy new RVs right off of the line. Not year old or 2 years old. This is what I mean by helping others for their future purchases.
Thank you,
Toni
Old 10-22-2005, 04:08 PM   #35

Well Folks, Just thought I would get back to you with some of the results to date......
Not only do I have 534 signatures on the proposed petition, but I have rvers sending me emails and posting on My thread
and other thread. As a result, I have been requested to post a "Cover Letter" and the Petition for folks to copy and paste for printing and mailing to their Congressmen. Also there will be a planned Ralley to DC. The Ralley is not set up or started yet. It is in the planning stages. So I want to thank all of my supporters.
Toni
Old 10-22-2005, 04:34 PM   #36

Toni
I'm simply amazed at some of the comments that I've read on this forum. Reading comprehension has slipped, or something is not right somehow.
Asking that their be more legislation to enforce RV building standards has been twisted into more government legislation in our everyday lives, etc.
I think that your intentions have not been properly represented, instead, they have been misinterpreted by several people here.
In the best interset of your cause, please post a short synopsis of your goal here. Don't let those that support the current political status quo that is destroying our country interpret your cause.

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:02 PM   #37

No question in my mind why the manufacturers can keep putting out such terrible quality - as demonstrated here far too many buyers are wimps who will put up with virtually anything and say they are happy. Until that changes the manufacturers will just continue their current path. If they were in the auto biz they'd be out of biz ages ago.

Another example that crops up far to frequently that I looked immediately after posting the above.
Is this acceptable?
Old 10-23-2005, 07:18 AM   #38

This is as simple as I could make it.....
--We have the Lemon Law...not in all states it does NOT cover the living quarters of the MH/RV.
--We have the Magnuson Moss Act..takes 2 years to resolve issues and/or a buy back or replacememnt. With an attorney & attorney fees involved.
--We need a Federal Law which encompasses every STATE and covers all living quarters. And, includes all installed items such as wireing, plumbing and leaks AND MORE. These items are part of the problems due to poor Quality Control.
--We need enforcement of the warranty work and to be done in a timely fashion. Some RVs have repaired 3 to 6 tunes with no resolve.
--Some RVs have been "OUT OF SERVICE" for 200 days or more in one year.
--Most of all there are other articles that are not in the proposal that will be in the final Law when it has been set into Law.
Please read and sign the Petition
This Petition is only the first baby step in the right direction. Keep checking to see the next steps and if you choose to, you can keep updated by marking this link in your favorites to be updated daily.....
rv thread
Or
THREAD
OR BY CHECKING ............
My Website
Any further questions please contact me.

Toni
Old 10-23-2005, 07:30 AM   #39

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dleslie125:
No question in my mind why the manufacturers can keep putting out such terrible quality - as demonstrated here far too many buyers are wimps who will put up with virtually anything and say they are happy. Until that changes the manufacturers will just continue their current path. If they were in the auto biz they'd be out of biz ages ago.

Another example that crops up far to frequently that I looked immediately after posting the above.
Is this acceptable? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is a perfect example of what I am trying to solve. However this rver was luckier than most in that he had some resolve.

Toni
Old 11-06-2005, 05:02 PM   #40

If anyone needs to contact me, please go to
My Web Site
use clickable "Contact Me" in the navigation bar at the top.
Or email me at tonigilmartin@verizon.net
I am unable to get your email addresses from the petition site. This is done for your privacy.
Thank you, Toni
Old 11-07-2005, 09:38 AM   #41

Ladies and gentleman!

I recently retired from the retail automobile industry. I can tell you that if the auto industry was as poorly trained and provided as poor service as the average motorhome dealer and/or manufacturer that there would be a lot less auto manufactures and delaers in the world. Alotment of vehicles is directly related to the quality (CSI) of the repair of the sold vehicles.
1. the RV industry has no standards for traing or standards for RV manufacturing. Automotive manufactures will not allow a non compliant dealer to sell cars!
2. many dealers sell several unrelated brands of RVs, each with differences in manufacturing technicaly as well as use of products.
3. most RV dealers do not provide warranty service on engines, transmissions, heating systems, generators and chassis.
4. few dealers do body work and those who do usually do crude work at best.

I love my motor home, and I have a great dealer who cares for me, however when I have to take my 2005 $250,000 plus motorhome to Cat, Allison for performance issues and Cummins for the generator as well as to freightliner for vibrations and have to be in the middle of a he said she said battle between the dealer, manufactuer and the outside vendor. We as owners need to let the manufactures know we want more.

would you take your ford to one place for the motor, another for the suspension and a third for the a/c unit? I think not! Why is it OK to do this with a motorhome?

Therefore I suggest you stop kidding your self, the RV industry has a longway to go.

We do not need any more laws or opportunities for lawyers, however we do need forums between manufactuers, dealers and RVer to addresss this issue. If you want to sell Winnebago then have trained techniciqans who can fix the vehicles you sell! RV owners should not have to take their new RV to several places and here "that is not Winnebago's problem it is Freightliners" or any other vendor. Dealers take all the money, they should handle all the issues that arise

Kenai/a very happy winnebago owner

Thank you for taking time to listen to my point of view.

Incidently I had this conversation with a represenative of the maufacturer of my motorhome this summer and they agreed that somechange is needed in the industry.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #42

I agree with you 100 percent. But, I feel I must at least try this instead of just complaining. All of our complaining has gotten us no where. I am also, a very happy 2005 GS BTC owner. I did not spend as much on my RV as you did, but it was what I could afford. I am not doing this for me but rather for all of us and our future purchases. As I said, I have to do something besides complaining.
Thank you for your comments, Toni