Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Can you run diesel generator in winter without batteries in MH

I would like to know if 1) you can run diesel generator in winter. I am guessing not as fuel is gelled up. 2) Can the unit be used with generator without the batteries in it. (assuming not yet gelled up) 3) Can unit be hooked to power and used without batteries. These questions are not readily apparent in the literature I received with used coach. We are newbies and I can see I will spend much time this winter learning. Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 04:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You need batteries to start the generator. Once started it should run without batteries.

My rig needs the house batteries for just about everything in the MH. If plugged into shore Power you may or may not need house batteries. For mine I need them.

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well my first lesson posting. I posted and it popped up similar posts. Got some of the information answered. It apparently depends on which batteries start the generator. I can find that out. Second common sense set in and if no batteries no 12 volt so I will have 110 possibly? Or will it still run through Inverter still and power the 12 volt system?
Old 09-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
110 is possible without batteries but for mine most everything except A/C and tvs operate from DC.

My 6v house batteries are used to start my Onan.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 09-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewdogMN View Post
I would like to know if 1) you can run diesel generator in winter. I am guessing not as fuel is gelled up. 2) Can the unit be used with generator without the batteries in it. (assuming not yet gelled up) 3) Can unit be hooked to power and used without batteries. These questions are not readily apparent in the literature I received with used coach. We are newbies and I can see I will spend much time this winter learning. Thanks in advance for any help.

Telling us want you want to accomplish might give you better answers. Why remove the batteries? If you fully charge them and leave them with the negative cable disconnected, they can survive easily through the winter without freezing. If you wanted to use the MH, then just connect the one cable you disconnected previously.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #6

If you fuel up in the early winter or,better yet, add an anti gell addative, you won't have a gell issue.

Add the anti gell and drive it around for a while to mix it up.

If your going to leave it plugged in, the batteries will be maintaned.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So any thoughts on plugging in for the winter in MN vs pulling them and putting in above freezing garage. And again will the 110 AC run through the converter and power the 12v system.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Somewhere in my manuals I thought I read that you should not keep the system plugged in for a long time without a draw on it. I can't remember why. Maybe something about overcharging the batteries. I would at least top them off if possible. I have not really looked at what kind of batteries I have yet or how they are hooked up. Just got the coach. Thanks for all your answers. It seems no matter what subject I study in here there are multiple options. Very few black and whites and a lot of shades of gray.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you have power available but don't want to charge all the time. How about putting a timer on the power and set it to allow a number of hour charging each day. Experience will tell you how long. You could add a small draw dehumidifier and maybe a small electric heater also. If the batteries are kept charged there is no freezing danger.

LEN
Old 09-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think I have made the choice to yank them as then it forces me to test and clean them each year. If I need to start the generator I can take a battery with me to the storage facility. I would likely as has been said just use the electricity that is available most of the time if need be. As far as I can tell looking at the hookups, the 110v should run through the converter and I should have electric just like in a campground. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewdogMN View Post
I think I have made the choice to yank them as then it forces me to test and clean them each year. If I need to start the generator I can take a battery with me to the storage facility. I would likely as has been said just use the electricity that is available most of the time if need be. As far as I can tell looking at the hookups, the 110v should run through the converter and I should have electric just like in a campground. Thanks everyone.
Good luck with that thinking. The converter may not provide the current you need for MH dc power. So you may blow fuses in the converter But good luck with it. You will find out soon enough.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 10-02-2016, 12:22 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sorry I haven't been back to the forum for a few days. Thanks Greystroke for the advice. I will have to think about this for a while. Does the 12 volt system absolutely need the battery or can it function off the converter? And ,. If I can start the generator, I only get 110 correct? But that would charge the batteries if they are left in the coach? Kind of a catch 22. Need batteries to start generator and need generator to charge batteries. This is assuming I am Not booked up to shore power. I would like to know why you think I would blow a fuse.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:31 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gregstroke, would that depend on the draw? I haven't come across any literature in the file on this rig on the converter. I will have to find the converter and look it up to see how much draw it can handle. Thanks again for all your advice. I will let you know what happens. Might not be for several months.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:02 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Brewdog, should you decide to remove your batteries for the winter, do yourself a favor; mark each cable and its attachment point for future reference. Do not rely on memory, winter is long and CRS is rampart. Take photo's of the batteries now and use the pics in the spring when hooking things back-up.
I offer this info because each spring we see an uptick of forum members posting questions regarding battery/wiring and such. Best of luck with your plan.

Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, diesel, generator, winter