Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #1

We have a 1989 Winnebago Chiefton. It sat for several years, and now the propane tank will not accept propane. We have had the fill valve replaced, but everytime we try to have it filled it acts like it is full. There is one propane dealer that has been able to get the tank to fill, but he has to turn his pressure down to about 1/8 - 1/4 of the normal pressure. The local RV service center seems to be at a loss. We don't even know who to take it to.

Thanks,
Des
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #2

We have a 1989 Winnebago Chiefton. It sat for several years, and now the propane tank will not accept propane. We have had the fill valve replaced, but everytime we try to have it filled it acts like it is full. There is one propane dealer that has been able to get the tank to fill, but he has to turn his pressure down to about 1/8 - 1/4 of the normal pressure. The local RV service center seems to be at a loss. We don't even know who to take it to.

Thanks,
Des
Old 12-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #3

Being that old, I would suspect that the tank is full of gunk and needs replacing or purging.
For that I can only say Good Luck. You did not state what type it was, Onan etc. If it is an Onan and you live near San Antonio, Tx someone told me the Cummins Dealer will purge it, but I can't say for sure. I am still looking.

I have a 98 Discovery, with Propane generator and I am having a problems finding someone who will either purge it or replace the tank and then change the carbuator to run on vapor instead of fluid so that it quits junking up.
My tanks are 10 years old and I suspect that they are full of gunk. I have talked with other folks who have the same problems but they live up north and they got theirs fixed, so if you can find someone I will be watching this string close. I know the feeling of being very frustrating for you.

Bob E.
98 D, 36T
Big Spring, Tx
Bob E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #4

Sounds as though it may have rusted up on the inside. If they can't clean it out,you will have to get another one. If this was me I would take the tank loose and see if it could be set up with the 20lb. portable tanks.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Des;

You did not mention the bleeder screw. You must open the bleeder screw for the automatic shut off valve to reset itself and accept liquid. I have already had to tap the valve with a hammer to coax it to open. This is my opinion only. I believe there is a float that rises with the fuel and shuts off when it reaches approx 80%. IT then needs to open when the float drops. I have heard the valves snap open when I tried to fill the tank. Some times it takes pressure to do this. Opening the bleeder screw decreases the inside pressure and it increases the differential pressure needed to open the valve.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:02 PM   #6

By federal law propane tanks must be pressure tested, I think it is something like every 20? years. Maybe less, The propane dealer should be able to tell you. It unfortunately may be time to replace or at least have it tested if it has major corrosion. Up north road salt can do major damage to the steel tank, Though I think Petro may be onto something with the bleeder valve since you have to fill it slow.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Les and Des, welcoem to iRV2.com. We are glad ot hav eyou join us. As mentioned open the bleeder valve. If nothing comes out it could be clogged. I would recommend you have a qualified LP gas service provider inspect and/or repair the system. Good luck and keep us posted as to what is found.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hillbilly2:
By federal law propane tanks must be pressure tested, I think it is something like every 20? years. Maybe less, The propane dealer should be able to tell you. It unfortunately may be time to replace or at least have it tested if it has major corrosion. Up north road salt can do major damage to the steel tank, Though I think Petro may be onto something with the bleeder valve since you have to fill it slow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>As for requalification, there is no current regulation that requires periodic recertification of vessels designed to ASME specs. This means any permanent mount tanks on your motor home. DOT spec tanks require periodic requalification. The ASME tank are the ones mounted horzonially and usually mounted under the motorhome in a compartment and attached to the motorhome frame. They are much heavier walled than a DOT spec tank.

I know, that doesn't help the problem any.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:51 PM   #9

Everyone has been so helpful. After the holidays we will be checking ino having the tank pressure tested, etc. All of the place who have tried to fill the tank have used the bleeder value to release pressure, BUT maybe it is slow.
We will keep you posted!!
Thanks again!
Old 12-25-2007, 03:18 AM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2.

I would go back to a propane distributor and have them recheck your valves. These tanks and valves are not that complicated in the hands of a propane professional. The RV dealer won't be able to help you.

Your tank is more than likely manufactured by Manchester Tank, give them a call or email for a certified repair facility in your current area.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #11

Les,
If you have the same type tank as I do (ASME over 20 years old), underneath the fill valve there is a push button safety valve which must pushed in with a small crowbar (or any small bar) while the tank is being filled. You can't see it except from underneath. Most of the guys at the propane places don't know this unless they have been around a while.
Pat
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote