Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #1

I started getting an intermittent "service Engine soon" light on my 93 Itasca 454 Chev chassis. Migage went from 9 down to 5 and black carbon buildup in exhaust pipe. I had a guy with a diagnostic computer come out. Supposedly a certified mechanic. None of us can find the diag plug to find out whats wrong. Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #2

I started getting an intermittent "service Engine soon" light on my 93 Itasca 454 Chev chassis. Migage went from 9 down to 5 and black carbon buildup in exhaust pipe. I had a guy with a diagnostic computer come out. Supposedly a certified mechanic. None of us can find the diag plug to find out whats wrong. Any ideas?

Old 01-07-2007, 01:12 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Day 51:
I started getting an intermittent "service Engine soon" light on my 93 Itasca 454 Chev chassis. Migage went from 9 down to 5 and black carbon buildup in exhaust pipe. I had a guy with a diagnostic computer come out. Supposedly a certified mechanic. None of us can find the diag plug to find out whats wrong. Any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beleive that the OBDII port didn't come out until 1996. Yours probably has the old style port. The OBDII specification also includes the basic location for the port to make it easier to find to the right of the brake pedal while the old port may be anywhere under the dash or even in the engine compartment.

A truck mechanic who actually has experience servicing the P30 Motorhome chassis should have no problem finding the connector or diagnosing the problem.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:39 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Steve, welcome to iRV2.com. Winnebago should be able to tell you exactly where the connection is. We are glad to have you join us and hope that you will be an active participan on the forum. Let us know what you find out. Thank you. Good luck and take care.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:00 AM   #5

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
I always just disconnect the negative cable in the battery for 10 minutes , then reattached it back and see if that correct the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. It seems to work all the time for me. Then just run higher octane and replace the air filter and pour a bottle of fuel injector with the fill up of gas use higher octane to clean out the jets and also exhaust pipe. Might have to do it a couple of times , you are cleaning out the system and need the computor to reset and also make use the AIR SENSOR on your air intake to your carb is plug in. VERY IMPORTANT.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #6

Steve,

If all else fails I would guess that you should be able to retrieve codes from an OBDI system with the old "count the flashes" procedure.

I'm sure that any basic service manual would give you the procedure ... as in "ignition on, ignition off, what the first flashes should be, etc.

Rog

Roger Kneeland is offline   Reply With Quote