Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #1

Question Can't get antifreeze smell out of water and ice maker

We have a new coach with an Amana refrigerator with a water and ice dispenser in the door. I have run several gallons of water through it and removed the built in filter. The water still carries the smell of antifreeze. What can I do to eliminate that?
Thanks, Susan

dwebcbceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try this, First drain the source tank, make sure it is EMPTY, ... Many tanks have a bottom drain,, Mine is about 1-1.5 inch up the side so several gallons remain in the tank (Stupid design) I finally sucked it out with a shop vac (WET-DRY)

Now refill, add a half to a full cup of BAKING SODA.. Yes BAKING SODA

Purge the lines. Disconnect the water INLET line from the solenoid and run, as you put it, several gallons through, also drain and flush the water heater and all the other lines (Run gallons through)

Re-connect the solenoid supply line and cycle the ice maker manually.. Cycle it again Then disconnect the solenoid outlet line and blow air through it, Be prepared to mop up some spill in the freezer, Turn freezer on and let it freeze.

Drain main tank (no need to vacuum it out) and refill with fresh water, Re-purge solenoid inlet line as before, purge sink lines, Don't worry about toiilet lines on this trip.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
First let me say that I hope it was RV anti-freeze and not automobile anti-freeze. If it was the rv anti-freeze follow the directions above. It it still has a little taste, then add one cup of white wine to the fresh waster tank and fill it up. Drink the remainer of the bottle of wine. Now everythink will taste good.

If it was the automobile anti-freeze take it to an RV repair shop. Do not drink any of the water.

Hope this helps.
TomHinMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
If alcohol consumption is a problem for anyone in your family ... instead of white wine use white vinegar ... (don't drink the remainder of what you pour in the tank ....0
2004 Winnebago Journey 39W - 2012 Buick Enclave
Present @home Home: Oshkosh, WI
We call our rig "Ernie the Journey"

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Susan, scroll down to water systems in this LINK and follow directions for sanitizing your water system.
When its time if you have to winterize go to Quick Tips & Mod link there are links to threads there.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:35 AM   #6
Originally Posted by RV_Boy View Post
Drink the remainer of the bottle of wine. Now everythink will taste good.
RV Boy. Was reading the threads this morning about winterizing my ice maker and came across yours. It made me chuckle thinking that maybe you have been the one drinking the wine. See above. Have a great day.

Rich NKK19266
2010 Dutch Aire 4317
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote

antifreeze, ice, smell, water