Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #15
Location: Will let you know as soon as I see what\'s around that next corner!

I am not a mechanic and am sure some of these guys that know about engines and air compressors can give you a better explanation as to how this thing works...

But, quoting from the Magna manual:

"These systems are supplied with air from a two-cylinder compressor (a one-cylinder unit on "Magna" models) mounted on and driven by the vehicle engine. The compressor operates continuously while the engine is running, but the compression of air is controlled by a governor-actuated compressor loading/unloading mechanism. The governor is factory set to stop or start compression in order to maintain a system pressure of 105 to 120 PSI."

On my particular Magna, the normal pressure as shown by the dash air gauge is 120 PSI, but after sitting for several days, will begin to decrease... I have seen it as low as 90 PSI... but when the engine is started the pressure quickly increases to 120 PSI... The dash gauge goes to 150 PSI, so the governor is doing it's job and stops compression when the system pressure reaches 120 PSI.

Evidentally, the tapping of the brake pedal while filling the tires causes the pressure in the air system to drop enough for the governing mechanism to bring the compressor back on-line and give me enough pressure to air the tires to 115 PSI...

IMHO, all coaches with an engine driven air compressor must have a similar governing system to keep the air system pressure at a reasonable level...

k7wn, '99 Magna #5653, 385hp Cat C10, Allison HD4060, Santa Fe toad
Texigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:28 AM   #16
Buck, Thanks for the info on your CC compressor. I would think that all diesel compressors would run on the same principal. If they did not have a high pressure cut-off then the pressure would be too high. Also, the cut-off will save fuel since the compressor will idle most of the time. What seems different in my case is that the low pressure limit is higher than yours. That is not necessarily good or bad. It will mean that I will turn my compressor on more often, but I will not have less than 100 lbs of pressure to air the tires. I have no information or at least have not found it in the stack of manuals I have. I will take a look now that the subject has come up.

Jim Walker
N Virginia
2014 Palazzo 33.2
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote