Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #1

Location: Will let you know as soon as I see what\'s around that next corner!
Can't get tire pressure above 100psi

The air pressure gauge on the dash of the MH shows 120psi, but I can only get the pressure in the tires up to 100psi with the "on-board" compressor...

Anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it ???

Buck

k7wn, '99 Magna #5653, 385hp Cat C10, Allison HD4060, Santa Fe toad
Texigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #2

Get a 150 psi 120V compressor and be done with it...the onboard is alot slower and if you get in on the low part of the pressure cycle, it's a real pain...

footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #3

Thanks Doc !

getting another compressor never crossed my mind... Do you recommend any particular kind or brand??

Buck
Old 04-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #4

Tap the brakes to lower the air pressure and the on board compressor will kick in, if you are at your max air pressure your compressor will not kick in until the pressure drops. My front tires get filled too 110 PSI and when I use the on board compressor I have someone tap the brakes to bleed off the air pressure and keep the air compressor running and I can easily fill the front tires. Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #5

Thanks Buck... sounds like the answer to my problem... will give it a try next time I air up the tires.

Buck2
Old 04-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #6

Get a cheap Elect Comp from Sears.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #7

I use a Campbell Hausfeld. Bought it at Ace Hardware. Very small compressor. I watched a guy use one to pump up a completely flat 22" inside dual at a CG. As soon as I got home I bought one. Then I let 50 lbs out of my front tire and pumped it right back up with it, to make sure it would do the job. I have a regular air compressor I use at home, but wanted something for on the road.
I've been using it for 4 years.
One thing to remember with a little air compressor is you will need an adapter to use a crow foot to get on the rear duals. I happened to have the equalizer air fill setup from Camping World that has two hoses. This way you fill both rear tires on each side at the same time and get the same air pressure in them. I plug my little air compressor into it and use the hose with the crow foot to do the rear tires. Kind of a Mickey Mouse way of doing it, but it works. I never do use the equalizer set up for its intended purpose.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:35 AM   #8

Thanks Dennis... will check them out the next time I get near a Sears...
Old 04-03-2009, 03:40 AM   #9

Thanks Thomas... I have a Campbell Hausfeld, but it never dawned on me that it would bring my RV tires up to where I want them... Will give it a try today... Also like the idea of pumping up both rear tires at the same time so will make a run down to Camping World at Seffner and see if they have the equalizer setup in stock...

Buck
Old 04-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #10

I would do some checking on your onboard pressure. If you really only have 100 psi you are close to having the alarm go off and have insufficient pressure for your brakes. I prefer not to have an additional compressor and just use carry an air hose to take care of my tires.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #11

I find it a lot handier, to carry the small 120 volt, air compressor. I leave it in the back,of my Jeep GC. It takes up minimal room. Stowed in the cardboard box it measures 12" x 7-1/2" x 6" and weighs just a few pounds. I always check the air pressure in my MH and Jeep the day before I drive the MH.
I don't have to start up the MH in a CG and bother fellow RVers, just to top off a tire.
It is also a PITA to get a tire above 100 psi using the air hookup from the MH. Yes it can be done, but it is still a PITA.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #12

Air pressure boost for tires

This is a common question and I too originally thought I needed to get a small air compressor. Most people were recommending 6 gallon tanks at 150 PSI.

Ultimately I decided that I didn't want something that big in the bays nor wanted to wait for the smaller one that I carry in the car to fill the MH tires.

Eventually I found a pressure doubler at Dickerson Tire (Les Swabb) in Junction City, OR. It will double the pressure and will fill the tires pretty rapidly. I varified this before the purchase. It's very small and it will be mounted to the fuel tank near the air outlet. It will fit between the tank and the cargo bay door.

Downside for the small size, high pressure, rapid fill, and close to where it's needed - PRICE. It's $450 to $500.
TurtleBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #13

Thanks for the advice on how to get the air pressure up guys!

Buck62 advised me to have someone "tap" the brakes to make the on-board compressor cut-in, and that has solved my problem...

With my co-pilot "tapping" the brakes, can now get the front tires to 105psi and the rear tires to 115psi with the on-board compressor.

Buck
Old 04-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texigan View Post

With my co-pilot "tapping" the brakes, can now get the front tires to 105psi and the rear tires to 115psi with the on-board compressor.

Buck
I learn something every day. The Country Coach Magna must be different than a Freightliner XCS chassis because my air compressor must run all the time. As a matter of fact I am not sure that it runs all the time but the pressure is always 120 psi or so.

Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote