Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #1

Captain Chairs

Don't know if this item goes here but my question is:

Can you switch the passenger chair with the drivers chair? Both are flexsteel manual 4 way seats.

Whoever owned this MH before me must have been heavy set or like to lean to the right. The seat has a right lean in the seat only. The swivel base is fine.

I know I could have them redone with new foam, etc., but cost is a factor and both seats are in good condition material wise, just the drivers chair leans a little to the right.

I guess I could seat on a pillow under the right cheek as a last resort.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie143 View Post
Don't know if this item goes here but my question is:

Can you switch the passenger chair with the drivers chair? Both are flexsteel manual 4 way seats.

Whoever owned this MH before me must have been heavy set or like to lean to the right. The seat has a right lean in the seat only. The swivel base is fine.

I know I could have them redone with new foam, etc., but cost is a factor and both seats are in good condition material wise, just the drivers chair leans a little to the right.

I guess I could seat on a pillow under the right cheek as a last resort.
Should be four bolts that fasten your seat in place. Would a shim/washers on your Right bolts lift the seat to a better level? Just a thought. I would call the manufacture before changing the seats out; some drivers seats have some extra electronincs in them for saftey related issues.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #3

I will look and see if shim/washers will work. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you by chance have a slide right behind the driver seat? If so it could've contacted the seat ( to far back) and pushed it to the right when the previous owner was retracting the slide.

In theory you should be able to switch the seats however the controls and seatbelt (receiver end) might not be in the correct place and you would have to compensate for that.

If it were me, I would remove the driver seat and try to square it up again and or try the shim idea.
Campbell5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #5

I understand its not the entire chair out of wack. Its just the cushening in the seat. Ours is the same. Its not huge but after a couple hours on in the pilot seat I certainly notice
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:16 PM   #6

Seat vs slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell5 View Post
Do you by chance have a slide right behind the driver seat? If so it could've contacted the seat ( to far back) and pushed it to the right when the previous owner was retracting the slide.

In theory you should be able to switch the seats however the controls and seatbelt (receiver end) might not be in the correct place and you would have to compensate for that.

If it were me, I would remove the driver seat and try to square it up again and or try the shim idea.
I have a slide behind the drivers seat but the seat will not go back far enough for the slide to touch it. Both seat belts comes out the top right of the chairs and snaps into the bottom left of the chair. No other connections except for recline and swiverl handles in same place for both chairs.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"okie" I know you just answered the question about the slide possibly bending your seat, but are you sure that when the backrest is in the reclined position that it clears the slide? Even though you don't recline it that far, the previous owner might have.

The reason I ask, I just helped a friend install his new sat dish. He removed his Flexsteel driver's seat (unbolted it from the base) so that it was easier for us to access his audio/video component cabinet. While we had it removed, I noticed that he had several large washers shimming the right side because of the same issue you're having. We knew the base wasn't bent, so we looked under the chair. At the front of the Flexsteel seat is a large piece of flat steel (approximately 24" long x 2" wide x 1/4" thick) that runs right to left under the front edge. It bolts in two spots to the seat frame. We found that it was bent on the right side near the bolt. It had been bent by the slide. We supported the nut/bolt with Vicegrips and beat the bent steel back into shape. The chair now sits straight. Looking back, it probably would have been easier to unbolt the piece of steel from the frame and straighten it in a vice with a hammer or tool to bend it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #8

I will take the seat off and look at it. I never even thought about the reclining part hitting the slide.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #9

My Canyon Star was like that since new. The floor was far from level and the seat leaned to the right. Shims will fix your problem.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #10

Found out it was the springs and foam that was worn out on right side seat. Whoever had this before me must have weighed a ton. The mh only had 42,000 on it when I bought it.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #11

IF you can remove the seat cushion from the frame (like I did on a Ford Excursion once), then likely the seat cover is attached to the springs with hog-nose rings.
Remove rings and cover to access the foam. Add foam to the side you need support on, install cover.

If you want to do it right, hog-nose pliers are cheap. less than $10 as I recall.

Failing that, start carrying your wallet in the right hip pocket.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #12

My captains chairs cannot be switched, they only swivel one direction. Drivers chair swivels to right, co-pilot chair swivels to left; AND the controls are on the present inner sides.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Short answer to your question is yes but the longer answer is I am not sure how

Seat consists of 2 major assemblies. The seat which you can switch and the pedistal which may or may not be switchable.. This contains the swivel parts. and the adjustable parts. You may need to rmove both seat and pedestal (sometimes a major operation) and then rmove the seat from the pedestal to swap the tops. Then re-install. I have never tried it.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #14

Update.

Took the chair off, had to remove 4 seat bolts, 4 side metal retaining bolts, 2 extra hold bolts, both seat belt bolts, and 3 release cables off.

I took the seat to an upholstery shop and had them remove the seat cover. Found out the standard FlexSteel captain chairs have a design defect. When they designed the spacing of the springs for the seat they didn't know the base plate that would be used. So they put the first springs about 4 inches in from both sides. Then they just put foam on the springs, no underlayment like cloth, carpet, etc. So the foam just pushes thru the spring, over time. If the base plate was farther out on towards the ends it would provide more strength and keep the foam from dog ear if you will on the sides.

I had the upholster remove the old foam and he first put down a good strong piece of carpet, then a good clean cloth, sprayed it with glue, put down one layer of foam, sprayed glue again, another pieces of foam, and finally a piece of cloth. Then he put the original seat cover back on.

The seat is very comfortable and doesn't lean at all. I check all the metal pieces while the seat was off and everything was fine. So no damage from being bent.

Cost was only $82.31. A new seat would have been over $400.00. Not a bad deal.