Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #1

Car Dolly Question

My husband is not new to towing as we pull a 20 foot trailer behind us when we go to car shows. However we were think about purchasing a car dolly to tow our Nissan for family trips rather than the heavy trailer. The question is does a car dolly require brake controls from the master vehicle? And does it come with a title and need to be registered yearly?

Brian and Kim VanBuskirk
2008 Damon Tuscany 40 DP
Tow: 20" Trailer with Classic C3 Corvettes
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #2

The Dolly's can have electric assist or hydraulic brakes. My prior dolly had hydraulic and they worked perfectly. In would suggest not purchasing the dolly without brakes. As to registering most states so not require it.

Good things come to those that wait.
jtermini30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
I have a Kar Kaddy with a surge hydraulic brake. In AZ, no title or registration required.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are on our second Kar Kaddy having sold the first with our old MH. This is a Kar Kaddy III with surge disc brakes and LED lights. It works great and you can purchase it from PPL Motorhomes.

The Kar Kaddy 3

They will drop ship it to your adderss of choice. There is some assembly.
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some states require a tow dolly be registered, some do not. In any case I would not tow a dolly without either electric or surge brakes. States vary on the braking requirements for a towed load with some as low as 1500#. You have to meet the towing and braking requirements for the state that you are traveling through.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is a link to a popular, economical tow dolly, with brakes. Lots of info, be sure to look through the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). I'm very happy with mine.

2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Do you back the trailer often? If yes stay with the trailer!

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
I have towed my dolly (no brakes) over 3,000 miles thru several states and have never been stopped or questioned about it. I was told that if the dolly meets requirements of the state to the towing vehicle is registered in, then it doesn't matter what state law in other states are. I don't know if the person telling me this, knew this for sure but he was a state patrol officer. I have been thru a couple of license checks and that is all they checked. Maybe just been lucky so far...
2000 Pace Arrow 33v
10 Kia Soul-05 HD Ultra Classic
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
The dolly should have a braking system the choice of which one is yours to make. States have different laws stating the weight limit that can be towed without brakes. One must comply with the state the dolly or coach is registered in. Now for the most important part,,,,,,,liability. If there is an accident, having brakes on the dolly eliminates one item the other driver's attorney can hold against you. Like it or not, it happens. A braking system is cheap insurance.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
I bought a Roadmaster dolly from Camping world and it did come with a title and my homestate does not require licensing.

2002 KSDP
Joplin, MO
Randy125 is offline   Reply With Quote