Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2007, 11:39 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello. I broke one of the springs on my awning this evening as I was packing up for trip this weekend. Two questions:

1. Who can I contact to get a replacement spring?

2. Is it possible to drive with the awning spring broken? It seems as though it would unravel. I can secure the arms, but there is no way to get a stap around the awning. Am I going to have to remove the awning until the spring gets here?

Thanks.

'04 HR Admiral SE 30' PDD P32 WCC
GLWilliams58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello. I broke one of the springs on my awning this evening as I was packing up for trip this weekend. Two questions:

2. Is it possible to drive with the awning spring broken? It seems as though it would unravel. I can secure the arms, but there is no way to get a stap around the awning. Am I going to have to remove the awning until the spring gets here?

Thanks.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:03 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Williams:

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greg,

You said the spring is broken but the arm locks are not. You do not mention the roller lock on the side of the roller or integrated with the arm locks as some are on the Carefree. The springs are not what are used to keep the awning from unraveling while you are driving that is the job of the roller lock. Set the roller lock and on addition what some people do is hook the end of the awning cane/rod in one of the spline slots in the roller and then bungee it to the awning arm as a secondary lock to keep the head from unrolling.

Also contact Carefree of Colorado at:

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/about_contact.asp
Old 08-21-2007, 02:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Neil.

The lock is fine on the right side looking at it. The lock on the arm is good too. The only broken part is on the left side looking at it. The spring shaft broke right off. I unscrewed the cap and removed a three foot spring.

I have searched on the sites for a replacement spring, but have had no luck yet. Carefree does not seem to list the parts and works through dealers. Any suggestions anyone has for an awning replacement part source would be greatly appreciated.

Thinking about this a little bit further, is replacing the spring as simple as it looks? It seems as though it winds up as the awning comes down, which would lead me to believe the spring is in it's relaxed state at the top. If I replace the spring and the arm cap while the awning is rolled up, it should be easy enough to slide it in the tube, right?

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Williams:
Thanks Neil.
Thinking about this a little bit further, is replacing the spring as simple as it looks? It seems as though it winds up as the awning comes down, which would lead me to believe the spring is in it's relaxed state at the top. If I replace the spring and the arm cap while the awning is rolled up, it should be easy enough to slide it in the tube, right?

Thanks for your help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a little more complicated than that. Even when fully rolled up there should be a little tension on the roller. You will need the installation instructions, which I suspect, will tell you to put 5-6 turns on the spring prior to installing into the awning arm. It can be dangerous and it's best to have a helper.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This morning I contacted Carefree of Colorado at the link provide above by Neil. By 5 pm they had responded with a list of local dealerships that will either repair the awning or sell me the parts I need, plus diagrams and part numbers and instruction documents on how to replace the spring.

I was impressed by their response time and all the information they willingly provided.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just wanted to post the conclusion to this issue.

Following up on the dealers that Carefree sent me, I contacted Conley RV in Bradenton. They had the part overnighted for delivery this morning and had me come in today 1:00 for the replacement. Less than an hour there and I was back on the road with a shiny new spring and white end cap and the good news is I still have all my fingers.

The Mike and Bryan at Conely were great and the cost was very reasonable.

So now our first MH outing (leaving tomorrow) will include some shade.

Thanks for the insight and the advice.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I am glad that you got it all fixed up. That is what is so nice about this site. People helping people.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #9

I had to replace my 2001 Carefree Fiesta 19' right hand awning spring this past weekend. It didn't include the dangers that I've read about and were included in the directions many times.

With the awning extended I was able to remove old assembly and install the new one and add the required numbers of winds. The old assembly failed due to poor design when compared to the new one. The new one has a pressed collar on the head end holding the spring to the end cap side of the shaft, and a 3-spline shaft attachment instead of 2. My spring hadn't actually broken but the it had come loose from the end cap and slipped.

The reason it didn't present the dangers I had read about is the open/close ratchet assembly allowed me to wind it without having to hold pressure against it at the same time.

I can only assume other Carefree awning models and other brands can present the dangers noted.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Can I ask the cost of the spring and how long does it take
I have a quote of 225 and they do it all. That's labor tax and spring
srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:42 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Hope someones still listening after 4 years
Old 08-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #12

$225 is not a bad price at all, if the dealer has the part in stock should take no more than 1hour tops