Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
Carefree eclips awning will not move out

I have a 2008 Safari Trek with a Care free Eclips electric awning that will not move out. The motor runs and the cloth starts to unroll but the arms don't move out. Any ideas?? Bob

ventus2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good Morning Bob, Sorry I can't help you. I have a 2005 carefree eclipse awning, but I have never had that problem. I'm sure someone will chime in and possibly help you. I think I would call the Colorado Carefree phone number to see if they can help. Their ph. is 800-621-2617
good luck

Bill, enrolled member of Choctaw Tribe. 2005 Fleetwood/Revolution,AFE Filter,Aero Exhaust,Koni FSD shocks,KarKaddy SS. Progressive HW-50C.
okie-dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Lube the arms pull it out by hand and lube all the joints and pivot points once open pull down on the end of the arm
And see if the strut has some pressure one of them could also be gone
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
I called Carefree and they asked me if there was a Tractioner Kit (#901067) installed. After looking on the parts break down I see what they are talking about and I don't have this mod. It is supposed to lift the metal cover so the awning will roll out easily and not get stuck. My Eclipse is an early model that did not have this mod. yet. I ordered it $11.69+S&M and will see how it works. This coach is new to me, 2008 Safari Trek and I don't know if the previous owner had any problems. I used it a dozen times with no problems. Go figure. Thanks for the help. Bob
Old 04-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
American Coach Owners Club
We had our awning roller cup strip out on the motor output shaft. Might get a ladder and observe the motor shaft to see if it's actually turning the roller cup. The newer models have two lands that grip the motor shaft instead of just the one. Naturally, you have to buy the motor as well. Bob

BTW, use caution with the awning arms, those shock helper/snubbers mounted on the arms have about 90 lbs. of outward pressure to help the awning extend and keep the fabric tight. If the cup is wallowed out and you get the arms over center, they extend in a hurry and no one should be in their way.
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #6

Another Carefree Eclipse Awning failure.
Before I discuss my latest problem, I don’t think I posted the problem I had about a year ago.
I was traveling down the interstate for a few hours and then stopped for the night. The next morning I went out side with a cup of coffee enjoying the weather and noticed the rear awning arm was broken off the roller tube and missing. I have no idea when it happened. The only explanation I can come up with is during installation they drilled the holes for the lag screws to large that hold the arm to the fiberglass side. The arm came loose during travel and fell off in the road. You might check to be sure the arm is securely attached to the side. When the awning is open you can see the lag screws except for the bottom one.

Discussion with Carefree Awnings,

I talked to you yesterday about a problem I was having with an Eclipse awning where the motor shaft would turn but the awning wouldn’t roll in or out. It turns out that the end cap has a flat spot in it to match a flat spot on the motor shaft. That flat area was worn allowing the motor shaft to rotate and not turn the awning roller. I thought you might be interested in the outcome and the enclosed photos of two series 1 motor assemblies. The first picture show the replacement motor head with the aluminum piece that goes into the roller tube before the end cap goes over the outside of the roller tube. The last pictures show the original motor head with the end cap that goes over the roller tube without aluminum insert going into the roller tube. The motor assembly I purchased from a salvage yard installed OK and works fine. I called yesterday because I wanted to know if the replacement motor assembly that looked different would work before I dissembled the awning. Thanks for the photo’s you sent and the time spent talking to me.
Due to the need of a helper and tall ladders and not knowing what the outcome would be after disassembling I didn’t try to repair the motor shaft/end cap flat spot before buying a new part.
I have now repaired the original cap that had the flat area worn allowing the motor shaft to turn in it. I made a shim to fit in the flat area in the cap that was worn and used GB Weld on the shim and inside the cap. It probably won’t be able to be removed in the future but the motor assembly is usable now. Carefree dos not sell the end cap without buying the motor assembly.