Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 07:23 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Carfax Reports

Does anyone see negative Carfax reports on Motorhomes(accident or flood history), or does the damage history just never get reported? I've seen a lot of autos with a blemished history(probably because most online listings include a free Carfax or AutoCheck link), but I've never found a damage history on a Motorhome, including the four coaches I have owned. Asking because my coach was damaged by a dealer, who is now repairing it, and wondering if a damage/accident blemish will show up on my Carfax at some time in the future? If dealer files insurance claim for reimbursement, will that trigger a report? My best guess is maybe/maybe not... Does a negative blemish affect the future value of my coach?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:35 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just recently bought a motorhome that the CarFax showed a light damage collision. Upon inspection I could not find the damage......so it was either fixed very well or they called a small scuff (which compounded out) the result of a collision.

I would think most damage repairs on CarFax are noted because of insurance claims

Also the CarFax showed a few services along the way. I was able to call the garage who serviced it. They shared some good information on the motorhome which helped me in my decision.

I wouldn't say they are fool proof but there is some good information some times
Drag Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:39 PM   #3

If they do a Car Fax report you better also file a diminished value claim. If anything shows up on any check service you will very likely get less for it later.
It is one more excuse for a dealer or other buyer to give you wholesale or less for it.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #4

All reports to Carfax and similar companies are strictly voluntary, thus you may not see a true assessment of the vehicle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
All reports to Carfax and similar companies are strictly voluntary, thus you may not see a true assessment of the vehicle.
Can you expand on that. What do you mean by voluntary....by who and to who?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:47 AM   #6

Carfax has become a very bad thing to many car owners. Its original purpose was good. It reported totals that were rebuilt and flood cars. Neither of which anyone should buy without knowing.
But now it is a way for car dealers and insurance companies to give people less than their car is really worth. As soon as your car is reported to Carfax for even minor body damage, it just went to wholesale value or less.

Here is an example. My wife was in an accident that was not her fault. The car was hit in the left front and the repairs were done to like new. State Farm reported it to Carfax. I found out from a friend about this whole Carfax scam. So I went to trade the car in. I could not even get wholesale value on a like new,low mileage late model car. Every dealer said they just wholesale anything with a Carfax damage as they can't sell them.
I had to file a diminished value claim. You only have 24 months to do it.
The car really had no less value as all the repairs were body work except it had the Carfax report.
Carfax is making money at your expense.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Can you expand on that. What do you mean by voluntary....by who and to who?
There are no laws requiring repaired auto damage be reported to Carfax or any other such company- by anyone.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Car fax either needs to clean up their act, or go away. They had a report of "significant damage repair" on a car I owned that had never been scratched. Was a big issue upon trade in. And there is no problem resolution to make corrections.